List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying at all he’s an answer but watching ex QLD boy Oskar Baker at the Dogs looks better than so many in our team even as a back up and how thin we look as a list and I’d have thought would have been easy to get given he was on the outs of the Dees and of last season. I know our recruitment has been good of high calibre players and players with injury concerns but what about picking those on the outs at clubs and turning them into something like Baker could be.

I’m not saying at all he’s an answer but watching ex QLD boy Oskar Baker at the Dogs looks better than so many in our team even as a back up and how thin we look as a list and I’d have thought would have been easy to get given he was on the outs of the Dees and of last season. I know our recruitment has been good of high calibre players and players with injury concerns but what about picking those on the outs at clubs and turning them into something like Baker could be.

You can't win them all but you can win more than most, like us

It’s early obviously but at what point in the year does one start to worry that Hugh hasn’t put pen to paper? Bye round (not this one)?
Big worry already for any fans that don’t want it to happen.

My view is it will release the valve on burgeoning Ashcroft contracts.If it wasn’t for those two father sons he would have his money and signed by now.Think Geelong will have a crack.

I would be flabbergasted if Hugh McCluggage is not a Lion in 2025 and beyond.

Bored thought bubble.

Levi Ashcroft shows all the signs of being very good straight up in 2025, if Sam Marshall has a really good year and moves up the ratings do we contemplate looking at trading out someone with currency who has not quite lived up to expectations?

eg. Cam Rayner, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry. Not all 3, just one.

I'd trade Bailey.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unless one of our under 26’ers or best 23 players asks for a trade, I believe any talk of trading any of them is a bit silly.

Trade for who or what?

One of the King brothers or JUH? Sure.

Matt Rowell or Harley Reid? Sure.

Draft picks? We’d need pick 1 or 2. Any other draft picks this year are just going to get eaten up matching Levi and academy bids.

And everyone freaking knows I’m way more likely to want an extra draft pick than an established player, and if I don’t believe it’s a good idea…

I'd trade Bailey.

Rayner would be my pick. He will give us good currency on the trade table. Bailey is needed and will lift. He still has improvement. We can't trade him.

We would be lucky to get a third for Berry, but I'd definitely see if GC are interested for a pick upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, Berry is a free agent this year. No trade will happen (assuming we don’t match an offer if he is an RFA).

I think we could get a second round or end of second round comp pick, which will be eaten up by bids.

Could come in handy to match and not impact our picks for next year

Put it this way, I'm not rushing to re-sign Berry. Particularly if we aren't even going to play him on the wing anymore.
I'm hoping otherwise but tbh Bez looks a bit cooked. He can still cover the ground and get where he needs to be but once there just can't seem to finish it off.

Wouldn't trade Bailey. He is still capable of another level. Not sure why he can't impact games more but he has the jets and the finishing skills to be better.

Rayner I'm open to and the ball's in his court this year.

Bit with Britz in that unless we get a good trade out of it Rayner and Bailey particularly are still worth their spot.

But the time has come ,particularly if we don't progress this year ,where you have to ask whether guys in their 5th or 6th year who aren't getting any better are worth paying big money to.

Clug is an interesting one. Obviously no one would want to trade him. Like to see him put pen to paper asap though.

We've seen the best we will see from both Rayner and Bailey.

Unfortunately while we have seen them both do some wonderful things we only see them occasionally in a season (not even occasionally in a game which would be better!)

Unfortunately while we have seen them both do some wonderful things we only see them occasionally in a season (not even occasionally in a game which would be better!)

Yep and therefore I'd have no problem trading Bailey. Rayner seems to be more in the fabric of the club than Bailey and as a result there may be some damage trading him. Which would mean we likely need to avoid that.

That’s fine. Cam 5th in the B&F last year. Baileys had a few top 10 finishes as well

Merrett-Murray Medal
The voting system, as of the 2017 AFL season, consists of the senior coach and assistant coaches scoring players based on their overall performance, influence on the game, team contribution and compliance with team values. - Wikipedia

2023 Brownlow Medal Votes
Brisbane
31 - Lachie Neale
12 - Joe Daniher
10 - Will Ashcroft
8 - Harris Andrews, Charlie Cameron
5 - Zac Bailey
4 - Josh Dunkley
3 - Hugh McCluggage, Jack Gunston, Keidean Coleman
2 - Cam Rayner
1 - Eric Hipwood, Daniel Rich, Jarrod Berry
I would have rated Neale, Daniher, Ashcroft, Andrews, Cameron, Bailey, Dunkley, McCluggage and Coleman above Rayner in terms of performance last year. The fact that the Best and Fairest is a coaches award means that it is more open to #CPS (Coach’s Pet Syndrome).

That said, 2023 was Rayner’s best season to date, although he still hasn’t shaken the tag as a low possession (career average 12.55 disposals), low scoreboard impact player (0.91 goal average) who goes missing either completely or for extended periods in big games.

Last edited:
Merrett-Murray Medal

2023 Brownlow Medal Votes

I would have rated Neale, Daniher, Ashcroft, Andrews, Cameron, Bailey, Dunkley, McCluggage and Coleman above Rayner in terms of performance last year. The fact that the Best and Fairest is a coaches award means that it is more open to #CPS (Coach’s Pet Syndrome).

That said, 2023 was Rayner’s best season to date, although he still hasn’t shaken the tag as a low possession (career average 12.55 disposals), low scoreboard impact player (0.91 goal average) who goes missing either completely or for extended periods in big games.
Joe was a bit stiff not to make AA last year. How some of the guys who finished head of him did in our B/F who would know but it's not out of the realms of possibilities that club votes are more biased than what some people seem to think umps.votes are

Joe was a bit stiff not to make AA last year. How some of the guys who finished head of him did in our B/F who would know but it's not out of the realms of possibilities that club votes are more biased than what some people seem to think umps.votes are
100%

Cam has been a poster boy and mollycoddled since he arrived. He's a great fella and well liked , perfect PR material. We would love him to be a super player , well as we would all players , but Cam would be a great marketing tool.

I suppose this is they year he delivers. If not we should find a role where he is important to the team.

Back