List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we be concerned that Philippou's only extended his contract a further 2 years?

I would have liked to see him get 3 or 4 years. I wonder who wanted to keep it short. He's bound to increase in value.

Should we be concerned that Philippou's only extended his contract a further 2 years?

I would have liked to see him get 3 or 4 years. I wonder who wanted to keep it short. He's bound to increase in value.
I wouldnt be conconcered. He's backing himself into to be a much better player at 21 than he is now.

MISSION #1 FOR 2024
Offload Dougal Howard as a Free Agent, warranting an end of Round 1 pick. "Gresham him off"

North Melbourne surely have the cash and the need. Cordy covers his role fine for now, Van Es or Schoenmaker need a position to shoot for too.
Ari’s not a key defender & jury’s out on Van Es..

MISSION #1 FOR 2024
Offload Dougal Howard as a Free Agent, warranting an end of Round 1 pick. "Gresham him off"

North Melbourne surely have the cash and the need. Cordy covers his role fine for now, Van Es or Schoenmaker need a position to shoot for too.
I don’t think dougal is a free agent though. He is out of contract so I can imagine Sos will low ball him. So he should. Not many good key defenders out there

We said the same about McCartin, Billings and a heap of others. Promise can turn to disappointment quickly and players wanting to get a big contract are highly motivated.

Our coaches ruined Gresham's career. He was a gun forward pocket/goal sneak. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he knick 30 goals 30 points in his third year? Then our master coaches decided to try and make him a midfielder and all of a sudden became injury riddled. Essington have the right idea by playing him in his natural position of goal sneak....

Yep.

I said I was happy to keep him if he was played as a forward.

Mattaes isn’t playing anywhere near the standard that demands a long extension!
Probably a win for both sides - we pay what he is worth in the short term and keep trying to develop him as forward / mid (?) and hopefully the team is building and he wants to be a part of it.

He doesnt sign a longer term deal, has short term stability and backs himself (we know he is driven) to become a gun in 2 years. Then his management can start talking big $s rather than being tied to a mediocre longer term contract.

Probably a win for both sides - we pay what he is worth in the short term and keep trying to develop him as forward / mid (?) and hopefully the team is building and he wants to be a part of it.

He doesnt sign a longer term deal, has short term stability and backs himself (we know he is driven) to become a gun in 2 years. Then his management can start talking big $s rather than being tied to a mediocre longer term contract.
The practice of paying on potential is a demonstrable failure. I'm warming to SOS with each stroke of the pen.

Current and future needs for our playing list list.....continue to try and get class in the middle, Ro needs back up - ie a back ruck man needed, more height in the forward line.

Love that we are getting games into the kids, do not want to be stuck in no mans land. Need a way to continue to improve (reckon we did this week and if a few things went our way we would have pinched the win).

Said when we landed Ross as our coach do not think he is the messiah, still think that. He is playing the kids but our game plan annoys the bejeesus out of me. Think he started to play more attacking but has now gone back to dour dour dour. Mind you other clubs do the same and do not get critiqued couple of games this week only had one goal each at quarter time.

Ross is teaching these kids how to win at all costs which we haven’t had since Ross the last time

The attacking flair and skilled players will come theres a lot of work still to do but for once the coach, football dept and the board seem to be aligned in the fact that the older half of the list is crap and needs replacement

Ross is teaching these kids how to win at all costs which we haven’t had since Ross the last time

The attacking flair and skilled players will come theres a lot of work still to do but for once the coach, football dept and the board seem to be aligned in the fact that the older half of the list is crap and needs replacement

Confident slant on where the Saints are at....is it that we do not have players with attacking flair and skill (reckon Henry, NWM, Wilson, Hill, Windhager, Collard, Phiilapou, Hastie, Garcia - have that) or the game plan?

Take your point re the older half potentially needing change - would be good to be a Geelong who can have young uns come through while getting W's (they still have a old list but are transitioning well)

Confident slant on where the Saints are at....is it that we do not have players with attacking flair and skill (reckon Henry, NWM, Wilson, Hill, Windhager, Collard, Phiilapou, Hastie, Garcia - have that) or the game plan?

Take your point re the older half potentially needing change - would be good to be a Geelong who can have young uns come through while getting W's (they still have a old list but are transitioning well)

I think the game plan is based for the list, the list being a woeful midfield a strong defence and an aimless forward line

Play hard defence and try score on the rebound because it’s easier than winning it at clearance which we can’t do cleanly or pick holes in a set defence which we also can’t do

Once the midfield improves and the forwards become more dangerous i think the gameplan will get tweaked and while it will still be a win at all cost defensive game style it’ll be like early last year with more scoring

My Ross positivity though is still based around the fact that Watters, Richo and Ratts were all terrible with the lists at their disposal and Ross has to be given a few trades and draft periods to make the list his own and get rid of some deadwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the game plan is based for the list, the list being a woeful midfield a strong defence and an aimless forward line

Play hard defence and try score on the rebound because it’s easier than winning it at clearance which we can’t do cleanly or pick holes in a set defence which we also can’t do

Once the midfield improves and the forwards become more dangerous i think the gameplan will get tweaked and while it will still be a win at all cost defensive game style it’ll be like early last year with more scoring

My Ross positivity though is still based around the fact that Watters, Richo and Ratts were all terrible with the lists at their disposal and Ross has to be given a few trades and draft periods to make the list his own and get rid of some deadwood

Yep - good post

Excellent summary of where we're at in my opinion.

All the talk of game plan etc... it's pretty simple.... if you try to pass it to your mate and you miss.... you're sh*t.

I don't care how big we are... how young we are etc. Until we can execute the basic skills of the game, we're going nowhere.
But one misplaced pass doesn't make everyone s**t.
I've seen good passages of play fail because of a bad decision/skill error.
That's not a reflection on everyone involved.

Better players, more experienced players, more connection makes everyone look better.

No, completely incorrect.

We are actually paying part of Billings salary, so he can go and win games for Melbourne.
Or more accurately we're paying part of his salary to clear the rest off our salary cap and free up an extra selection at the draft, so it'd be more accurate to compare his performance with Arie Schoenmaker who was our last pick. That's definitely a comparison that requires years.

And that's said as someone who wasn't a fan of trading him.

Or more accurately we're paying part of his salary to clear the rest off our salary cap and free up an extra selection at the draft, so it'd be more accurate to compare his performance with Arie Schoenmaker who was our last pick. That's definitely a comparison that requires years.

And that's said as someone who wasn't a fan of trading him.

We could just as easily have not given Jones a contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back