List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Too soon?

As our resident bird_man has flown the coop and there's not much else on, may as well get going on where this is at.

Seems like we're hitting crunch point with delistees this year with only Allison being directly in the gun and the next tier down is Pato, Hayes and TC.
After that we're losing some proper good football players as none of the 2021-22 kids seem likely to be let go.
After this year we might not need to retire anyone till 2026/27 and we'll be on the up. Good times ahead.
Where's bird_man @ ?

shots fired finger guns GIF

I believe a club is only required to move on 3 players a season? I'm hoping we make the minimum number of changes (unless there's a bunch of guns that are nominating to come to us and we need to clear spots for them).

Most likely gone

Allison
Paton
Campbell
McLennan

Good chance to be moved on

Ross (respectfully, i hope he's forced out by the improvement of Windy, Dow, Owens, Byrnes, Wilson, Pou, Hotton etc)
Jones (unless he can prove his injuries are under control)
Hayes (same as Jones)
Webster (Simply an age factor and possible growth of Stocker, Paton, Hastie, Bonner, McLennan etc)
Howard (don't want to lose him, especially for nothing but just have a feeling he might move on)
Membrey (same as Howard, only more devastating personally)

Moderate to low chance

Battle (just because of trade rumours)
Stocker (was surprised he had to wait so long for a contract extension. Hope we extend him for a couple this year)
Heath (doesn't make sense to drop him so early on. I suspect he'll get a modest extension)
Bonner (DFA's tend to only get a year more often than not. Hope he has a good season and hangs around)
Hotton (will need to show a fair bit of improvement but I have some faith he'll get a modest extension)
Byrnes (same as Hotton but with more credits in the bank)

No chance to be moved on

Sharman (can't wait for him this season. Seems like Membrey's spot is his for the taking)
Butler (You'd think he'd be one of the earliest announcements this year)
Keeler (Surely wasn't drafted to just watch for 2 years. Needs time and should get an extension)
Van Es (same as Keeler)
Wood (gun)
Phillipou (Sign up immediately please. 4 year deal)

FYI, below is the list of OOC players for 2024.

Angus McLennan Only one year on our list and played well at VFL. If he improves he might make it.
Ben Paton
Well down the pecking order for anything but a lockdown small. Training as mid but lots of competition. Will struggle.
Cooper Sharman Sign him up.
Daniel Butler Sign him up.
Dougal Howard Sign him up.
Isaac Keeler Unless he goes backwards sign him up.
Jack Hayes. He'll need to be good, lots in front of him now. Will struggle , hopefully continue elsewhere.
James Van Es Sign him up unless he goes backwards
Jimmy Webster : Give him another year probably, unless Hastie or Schoenmaker can do his role better.
Josh Battle : Only if he chooses to go.
Liam Stocker : Sign him up.
Mason Wood : Another year or 2
Mattaes Phillipou SIGN NOW.
Matthew Allison Will need to improve remarkably. Out.
Max Heath I think he's heading in the right direction, the amount he improves might impact Campbell more.
Olli Hotton NFA Really hasn't played much VFL yet. Who knows.
Riley Bonner Depends how useful or not he is in 2024 and how the likes of Hastie are tracking.
Ryan Byrnes Could improve to the next level , or go below our noobs during 2024.
Sebastian Ross If he's pushed out by someone like Windhager he may choose to retire.
Tim Membrey Plenty of pressure for his spot , including Sharman, Phillipou and Owens. Retirement possible.
Tom Campbell We just have Roma, Moose, and Keeler. So it depends if we get someone else.
Zak Jones Depends if he can play the season out and play consistently.

A lot is going to depend on what happens during the season.

Big year for Max Heath.

RoMa will be 29 at the end of the year and we can't keep relying on him to ruck 90% of games, 25+ weeks of the year.

If Heath is still off the mark then I could see us making a play for someone to come in and split time.

Yep we need to find another AFL standard ruckman, whether that be Heath or Keeler or recruiting one but it needs to happen this year. The issue being that there isnt a huge number of excess ruckman in the system, and not a lot expected at this years draft. The perfect answer would
be for Heath to take some big steps to fill the void and grab another kid to develop under him.

Yep we need to find another AFL standard ruckman, whether that be Heath or Keeler or recruiting one but it needs to happen this year. The issue being that there isnt a huge number of excess ruckman in the system, and not a lot expected at this years draft. The perfect answer would
be for Heath to take some big steps to fill the void and grab another kid to develop under him.

There were a few in last years draft, but they seemed to get snatched up.

Is there anyone here who can say what this interest in Ugle-Hagan is?

Allegedly (Facebook Allegedly, so grain of salt) some people have said there is a real chance he is saints bound?

Is there anyone here who can say what this interest in Ugle-Hagan is?

Allegedly (Facebook Allegedly, so grain of salt) some people have said there is a real chance he is saints bound?

From my logic, "why wouldn't he be?", but it may not stack up for everyone else.

From my logic, "why wouldn't he be?", but it may not stack up for everyone else.
Don't need to waste money on forwards having quality depth now , I see Ben King has signed with the Suns again - what a wasted talent up there.

Interesting thing I noticed today is how young Phillipou is - in his 2nd year at the club he is 3 mths older than Collard a 1st yr player , having already played 24 games the skys the limit.

Read that B King is getting a million a year on his two year contract at the Sun's. I would've thought seven figures per year would command more than 2 seasons, they must have too much money or Hens manager is a genius.

In terms of our drafting or trading, we still need to target a pure high quality midfielder. That, plus ruck stocks need refreshing; I think we'll see TC get some games this year to ease the load on Roma. Then, depending how current are progressing, a big KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read that B King is getting a million a year on his two year contract at the Sun's. I would've thought seven figures per year would command more than 2 seasons, they must have too much money or Hens manager is a genius.

In terms of our drafting or trading, we still need to target a pure high quality midfielder. That, plus ruck stocks need refreshing; I think we'll see TC get some games this year to ease the load on Roma. Then, depending how current are progressing, a big KPD.
2 years takes him to FA

Just watched the VFL vs SANFL game, surely we can pluck a decent player there. Woodcock midfielder from Southport was good, as was Hosie a HF from Glenelg with 4 goals.

Just watched the VFL vs SANFL game, surely we can pluck a decent player there. Woodcock midfielder from Southport was good, as was Hosie a HF from Glenelg with 4 goals.

Woodcock is pretty unlucky to have not got another chance. He was a small forward at Port Adelaide but seems to be a bit more of a mid forward now. He won the JJ Liston a couple of years ago. Suns were going to pick him up at one point.

Woodcock is pretty unlucky to have not got another chance. He was a small forward at Port Adelaide but seems to be a bit more of a mid forward now. He won the JJ Liston a couple of years ago. Suns were going to pick him up at one point.

A small mid who can play forward and is ready to go would be handy. Although I think a rucking/forward ala Pike from Geelong Falcons should be a priority at the MSD.

Obviously we would have to make space on the list, but the way things are going we are bound to have someone on the LTI list by then.

I would delist Allison mid season and pay him out, but I dont know if you can do that?

A small mid who can play forward and is ready to go would be handy. Although I think a rucking/forward ala Pike from Geelong Falcons should be a priority at the MSD.

Obviously we would have to make space on the list, but the way things are going we are bound to have someone on the LTI list by then.

I would delist Allison mid season and pay him out, but I dont know if you can do that?
Can't delist Allison unfortunately, though l wonder if he could retire voluntarily. Anyway l wouldn't lose sleep over it, Pike doesn't solve any problems for us. He'd just be another long term prospect. They will doubtless pick a ruckman with our 1st or 2nd assuming there's a good one available.
I'd think it would be: 1-Mid, 2-Ruck, 3-Adrian Cole
though there's gonna have to be some tough decisions made to clear even 3 spots.

Can't delist Allison unfortunately, though l wonder if he could retire voluntarily. Anyway l wouldn't lose sleep over it, Pike doesn't solve any problems for us. He'd just be another long term prospect. They will doubtless pick a ruckman with our 1st or 2nd assuming there's a good one available.
I'd think it would be: 1-Mid, 2-Ruck, 3-Adrian Cole
though there's gonna have to be some tough decisions made to clear even 3 spots.

There other NGA's going ok also, plus young Peckett is looking the goods. Agree it will make the delisting/trade periods interesting.

Likely -
Allison delisted
Paton delisted/traded
Campell delisted/retired
Heath delisted - needs to take some huge steps to remain.
Plus as has been speculated there may be another traded out ala Clark/Jones.

Trade in - Ruckman

Draft - mid, ruckman/forward/small forward.

Rookie - Cole & Peckett

There other NGA's going ok also, plus young Peckett is looking the goods. Agree it will make the delisting/trade periods interesting.

Likely -
Allison delisted
Paton delisted/traded
Campell delisted/retired
Heath delisted - needs to take some huge steps to remain.
Plus as has been speculated there may be another traded out ala Clark/Jones.

Trade in - Ruckman

Draft - mid, ruckman/forward/small forward.

Rookie - Cole & Peckett
We've swung and missed at getting a ruck the last few years and now we're in an awkward spot.

Unless we prise out a #1 ruck, get someone really young (18-20) or really old (30+), options are:
NameClubAge (rounded up, we're looking next year)Career gamesContract expires
Ned MoyleGold Coast223End of 2024
Lloyd MeekHawthorn (previously Freo)2632End of 2024
Hamish FreeNorth260End of 2024
Liam ReidyFreo240End of 2024
Lachlan McAndrewSydney242End of 2024
Braydon PreussGWS (previously North & Melbourne)2928End of 2024
Dante VisentiniPort222End of 2025
Nick BryanEssendon2314End of 2025
Peter LadhamsSydney2752End of 2025
Bailey J. WilliamsWest Coast2453End of 2026 (RFA)
Ned ReevesHawthorn2640End of 2026 (RFA)
Hayden McLeanSydney2658End of 2027 (RFA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back