Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no doubt walls would be attracting serious attention from other clubs. They would t be doing their due diligence if they weren’t

There is no doubt walls would be attracting serious attention from other clubs. They would t be doing their due diligence if they weren’t
We gave him the head honcho role to keep him, don't think other clubs would be wanting him to head up their trading negotiations, its not really his forte but we gave it to him as his drafting is so damn good.

Walls is , without shadow of a doubt AFAIC,the clubs off field most prized asset .
Genuinely could lay claim (the only one at freo at that)as amongst the leagues best practice in his field.(talent ID/drafting )

If he were to leave in the near future and before this teams the finished product and/ or basically still floundering mid table Id just about pack it in.

Walls is , without shadow of a doubt AFAIC,the clubs off field most prized asset .
Genuinely could lay claim (the only one at freo at that)as amongst the leagues best practice in his field.(talent ID/drafting )

If he were to leave in the near future and before this teams the finished product and/ or basically still floundering mid table Id just about pack it in.
I agree I think he’s one of the most important assets at the footy club. No question about it.

Sounds like we have, tried to at least, cover our bases if that should occur.

Great article about Geelong. What really struck me was how they’re prepared to move players around in different positions to find where they click. JL talks about settling players in their natural position but sometimes it ends up with a logjam like our midfield so we get Brodie languishing in the WAFL for example.

Why did we never try Wilson on a wing or forward? He’s killing it in there for Peel. He could have been very handy last couple of years as a forward.

I would do what was suggested in the Laidley article & play Jackson on ball. Brayshaw would make a great winger. Bring Walters in to center bounce when he’s getting killed forward & play Serong down there (he was touted as a good small forward in draft year).

It’s good having players settled but I’d love to see more creativity at times.

A great coach like Chris Scott gets the best out of all his team . Finds new positions if necessary like Cameron now playing more up the ground . But Chris just seems to give things a try and see what happenes

A great coach like Chris Scott gets the best out of all his team . Finds new positions if necessary like Cameron now playing more up the ground . But Chris just seems to give things a try and see what happenes
Other clubs use their players that can play dual positions.
We don’t, and it’s why we are easily read.
Combined with the same way we move the ball, and a slow build up into the forward line. It’s a one trick pony.
That and even though our spine is solid, we don’t crumb or have players front and
back of the pack when the ball hits the ground.
Pace is another worry in the midfield, if we don’t win defensively then there is no way we can win a shootout.
You could make comparisons with Buckley’s coaching at the Pies.
They had one chance in a GF and narrowly lost. After that they were done.
Ross had 5 years to do all he could
The truly great coaches can reinvent themselves, and over time.
Easy analogy is every martial art style claimed to be better than any other.
Until the UFC settled it once and for all, and put that to bed.
Now it’s mixed martial arts, and you go out and find several masters or work on your weak game.
We need to find better instructors or just tap out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great article about Geelong. What really struck me was how they’re prepared to move players around in different positions to find where they click. JL talks about settling players in their natural position but sometimes it ends up with a logjam like our midfield so we get Brodie languishing in the WAFL for example.

Why did we never try Wilson on a wing or forward? He’s killing it in there for Peel. He could have been very handy last couple of years as a forward.

I would do what was suggested in the Laidley article & play Jackson on ball. Brayshaw would make a great winger. Bring Walters in to center bounce when he’s getting killed forward & play Serong down there (he was touted as a good small forward in draft year).

It’s good having players settled but I’d love to see more creativity at times.

Wilson at Peel was like reincarnation of Dunstall in round 1 WAFL. The problem is he is no where near as good and the role doesn’t fit modern game.

Everyone looks at round 1 and the 5 goals he got against East Fremantle. 6 possessions and 5 goals and says why didn’t we play Wilson as a forward. Came out the lead and kicked beautiful set shots from distance. Since then most of his goals have either been last chain in a handball or slipping around the back for handball and kicking long from outside 50 like he did as a half back flanker.

There is minimal to no tackling pressure from Willo as he spends more time telling the umpires why that should have been a free kick. He was better in that area against WCE.

I can’t see him succeeding as a forward at AFL - even 3-4 years ago.

As for Wing. He could have been played up on the wing but doubt he has the running capacity for that role in the current set-up. He would regularly finish time trials amongst the stragglers.

Justin could be a bit more adventurous with some of his players trying out new roles but prefers to settle players into a role for continuity. Young though has been a successful switch. Johnson it seems being switched around too much. I would really like to see them try Erasmus a bit more forward. He actually takes a good mark. I think it would round out his game a bit more. We know he can go back to Peel and smash out 30 possessions in the clearances but he is struggling with the step up in intensity and the lack of time afforded.

Play him forward for majority of game at Peel - even off half back to get him seeing the game and moving the ball on quicker.

Justin is a more defensive coach. He has shown great ability to have a tight defense - that was his area of expertise as a line assistant coach and during COVID took on that dual role. What we haven’t seen is mid to forward line connection and a more attacking flair. At times we haven’t had the cattle but since 2020 and without any significant progress our forward line remains an issue. He really needs to show progress in this area before season is out otherwise I feel we need a change.

So Darcy admits that he can't focus on the game when his son is playing and they still pick him to do special comments? How stupid are seven?

A guy sitting on a teams board shouldn't be involved in the broadcast in the first place.

Complete lunacy. We always cheer for our team, and I will be cheering extra hard this week and Freo supporters... stuff you.

Not sure if it's just me but I don't get the Sam Darcy "hype" if you want to call it that.

I haven't seen him do anything yet. Yeah yeah, his types take time to develop yada yada - but the way people talk about him now especially the unbearable bunch of bias fckwits at 7, it's like they've just willed his superstarness into existence.

Not sure if it's just me but I don't get the Sam Darcy "hype" if you want to call it that.

I haven't seen him do anything yet. Yeah yeah, his types take time to develop yada yada - but the way people talk about him now especially the unbearable bunch of bias fckwits at 7, it's like they've just willed his superstarness into existence.
If he played for us they wouldn’t even know his name.

Don’t say that…he’ll come out and kick now.

Yes sadly we did little to increase respect from opposition teams last week . See what they do this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back