Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So wait, this is real? I thought it was a gag mock-up done brilliantly well!

Christ on a bike what a disgrace.

Although having said that, it does show the punch landed from the Fox Footy interview which is good. But there is now very little gap between the very bottom of the scum filled hole and where that rag is placed. What a disaster.
By appearing in this headline Sumich ostensibly concedes how inept he was in the Kath Loughnan interview. He's basically throwing in the towel on a coaching career now for an (outside) chance at a media career.

By appearing in this headline Sumich ostensibly concedes how inept he was in the Kath Loughnan interview. He's basically throwing in the towel on a coaching career now for an (outside) chance at a media career.
Plus, his last two comments on Freo have been positive (even bullish) and relatively sound, even if hardly earth shatteringly original.

Makes me wonder whether he's looked ahead to what the footy talk consumer market is going to look like, recognised that Freo are on the up and the number of readers wanting to see reasonable/positive comment on Freo will grow, and modified his product accordingly.

Move over Bart. Peter Sumich is the 'How So Kid'.
season 5 GIF

Plus, his last two comments on Freo have been positive (even bullish) and relatively sound, even if hardly earth shatteringly original.

Makes me wonder whether he's looked ahead to what the footy talk consumer market is going to look like, recognised that Freo are on the up and the number of readers wanting to see reasonable/positive comment on Freo will grow, and modified his product accordingly.
You're possibly right but it's kind of clever.
If we do improve he can say he was right.
But if we drop off a bit he can say there is major problems at the club and he is shocked how our standards have dropped .
It only takes one of his radio mates to make up a story about Fyfe, Moose or JL and the he has national headlines for a month.

Fremantle captain Alex Pearce says unexpected burdens of successful 2022 season left him mentally fried and yearning to escape ‘bubble’​

Alex Pearce couldn’t wait to escape after a career-high 23 games and serving as Freo’s stand-in skipper in 2022. He speaks to ELIZA REILLY about his adventurous off-season.

His coach spent his off-season in the United States researching success and expectation in one of the world’s most cutthroat sporting environments.
But Alex Pearce couldn’t wait to escape the football bubble.

The newly appointed Fremantle captain has admitted he was “fried” at the end of 2023, a season that included a career-high 23 games, an extended run as stand-in skipper and the Dockers’ breakthrough finals campaign.

Pearce says the unexpected burdens of last season, his most successful on-field to date, pushed him away from the game and into his last off-season as an unranked member of the leadership group.

“To be honest, my off-season I had a real focus on refreshing mentally and physically from what was a really hard and consuming season,” Pearce told CODE Sports.

“This footy season is always long and always consuming and really tough to get away from, particularly dealing with some Covid-19 stuff as well.

“It was a bit of a grind and I felt like at the end of the year, mentally I was a bit fried and needed a real refresher and to get away from the game.”
Pearce visited Washington and Montana in the United States as well as London and Iceland, to name a few locations, all while Justin Longmuir was spending time with the NBA‘s San Antonio Spurs.

“I totally removed myself from AFL footy and just spent time looking after myself,” Pearce said. “I felt like coming back into pre-season, I‘ve been really motivated and refreshed. Even after a long, tough pre-season, I feel now I’m still really driven and I’ve got a lot to give when the season starts.”

Pearce has been forced to contend with an unfair share of injuries throughout his career to date. The 27-year-old has played just 86 games since being drafted in 2013 and he has sat out two entire seasons due to injury.

But Pearce believes his durability issues are behind him after playing 23 of a possible 24 games last year.

Pearce feels his body is the best it’s ever been as he eyes an injury-free season. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Pearce feels his body is the best it’s ever been as he eyes an injury-free season. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

“After having another pre-season on the back of some really sustained football, I feel like my body is now in a better shape,” Pearce said. “(I am) stronger, more durable and in better shape to be at my best for the majority of the season.

“There‘s always little aspects of my game that I’m working on week to week, but I think the biggest thing for me is how I am physically and the confidence that I have in my body now.”

Pearce has promised a more attacking Fremantle outfit when the season kicks off next week.

The Dockers’ defence, led by Pearce, was a pillar of strength last year. Fremantle finished first in scores per inside 50 against and second in points against.

Pearce believes Fremantle will be a more attacking outfit in 2023. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Pearce believes Fremantle will be a more attacking outfit in 2023. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

At the other end of the ground, the Dockers ranked 13th in scores per inside 50 and 12th in points for. In the last 20 years, just two teams (Sydney in 2005 and Western Bulldogs in 2016) have won a premiership while being ranked outside the top eight for points scored.

Pearce said Fremantle’s attack was the source of the team’s improvement this pre-season.

“I think we‘ve discussed that we’d like to score a bit more and give our forwards a bit more of a look and also improve our efficiency when we go forward,” he said.

“I think the last game (against Port) showed the way the forward line is functioning at the moment. They‘re super unselfish. And we’ve got many different ways that we can kick goals.”

Pearce picked key forwards Jye Amiss and Josh Treacy as two of the biggest improvers this pre-season while also heaping praise on defender Hayden Young and midfielders Neil Erasmus and Matthew Johnson.

This is the subheadline on the Fox sports website:

1678373537733.png

And here are the results:

Which seven other clubs do you think can make this year‘s top eight?

17 – Brisbane Lions
16 – Geelong Cats, Richmond
15 – Sydney Swans, Melbourne
12 – Fremantle
11 – Collingwood
9 – Carlton
6 – Western Bulldogs
5 – Port Adelaide
2 – Gold Coast Suns
1 – St Kilda, Adelaide Crows

Uhhhh, Carlton were "widely backed" by AFL captains? I guess I have a different opinion than they do... Click bait anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard that Mike Barlow & Xavier Ellis are doing a weekly pod on Monday's called Mad Monday. Haven't seen it mentioned yet so thought I would in here. Apologies if it has already been stated somewhere.

Not a bad mix on that pod. I'm not a fan of Ellis and his ultra-dismissive attitude towards actually thinking about and preparing for content but it has its moments too. He's certainly not a complete fool and goes pretty well on the fly. Barlow seems pretty good too and is obviously a Freo man so should do ok when discussing us. Ellis is pretty good at that too for the most part.

I'll be giving it a go. Certainly beats Quarters & The Clown.

Just heard that Mike Barlow & Xavier Ellis are doing a weekly pod on Monday's called Mad Monday. Haven't seen it mentioned yet so thought I would in here. Apologies if it has already been stated somewhere.

Not a bad mix on that pod. I'm not a fan of Ellis and his ultra-dismissive attitude towards actually thinking about and preparing for content but it has its moments too. He's certainly not a complete fool and goes pretty well on the fly. Barlow seems pretty good too and is obviously a Freo man so should do ok when discussing us. Ellis is pretty good at that too for the most part.

Apparently Barlow doesnt have us in the top 8 either though.

Where the * does Ellis find the time, he's on about 4 or 5 pods, does commentary, does radio, puts in an article here or there. The guys a machine

And to answer my own question - he probably finds the time by just rocking up with no research ahah

Where the * does Ellis find the time, he's on about 4 or 5 pods, does commentary, does radio, puts in an article here or there. The guys a machine

And to answer my own question - he probably finds the time by just rocking up with no research ahah

Everything you just listed would take up about 30hrs per week, at most, in terms of direct contact. If he did the same level of prep and research we'd like to see that'd take it up to about 50hrs. So based on what I hear from him I'd guess he's doing about 31hrs per week ;). Not bad work if you can get it.

Everything you just listed would take up about 30hrs per week, at most, in terms of direct contact. If he did the same level of prep and research we'd like to see that'd take it up to about 50hrs. So based on what I hear from him I'd guess he's doing about 31hrs per week ;). Not bad work if you can get it.
I think there's more to it as a radio host, they put in more work then you think. Think hosting a daily radio show alone is close to 30 hours given even Ellis HAS to put in prep work for that one

Apparently Barlow doesnt have us in the top 8 either though.

Really? Oh well, I don't see that as a big issue.

All I'm looking for is someone who doesn't play to Eagles fans by going with the old tropes when discussing Freo. The list of easy, soft critic, fingernail deep analysis and cheap shots that most of the media here go with. I actually don't mind the reasoned critiques, it's usually interesting to consider if it's been thought through. Barlow will avoid the cheap shots at least. That's something.

I think there's more to it as a radio host, they put in more work then you think. Think hosting a daily radio show alone is close to 30 hours given even Ellis HAS to put in prep work for that one

He isn't involved in much prep at all. They have the show for 3hrs then production meetings that go an hour after each show. They do some appearances, sponsor work and pre-records for some interviews but that's reducing over time in the market now too. They turn up then spend 3 hours asking people to call in and provide content for them.

The production meetings explain each segment and what listeners will be asked to provide, what the games are etc. The host will spend extra hours with the producers and other people planning the segs and doing rundowns etc so there's someone steering the ship. He's there to react, he's not there for that.

It's not just that show, that's the formula for them all. Some on the show work hard on the show, then there's the light relief that are paid to turn up for the colour and aren't required to prep. That's Ellis in his MMM gig.

I'd bet you a wad of cash he does less than you think.

Easy
He stopped doing any exercise from the looks of it

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's about a regular work week for me. 30 hours actual work, 20 hours bigfooty time.

Really? Oh well, I don't see that as a big issue.

All I'm looking for is someone who doesn't play to Eagles fans by going with the old tropes when discussing Freo. The list of easy, soft critic, fingernail deep analysis and cheap shots that most of the media here go with. I actually don't mind the reasoned critiques, it's usually interesting to consider if it's been thought through. Barlow will avoid the cheap shots at least. That's something.

Every time Barlow is on the Dyl & Friends pod he talks us up massively. His big pre-season predictions always talk about Freo players. Last year's pre-season predictions ep with Barlow, Tom Sheridan and Brett Deledio was awesome listening and the one before with Tony Armstrong instead of Deledio was even better. Not sure if they've done one for this year yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back