Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want an extra home game, I want an extra two to four away games at Optus.

That is worded very specifically, because apparently a game at the same ground when not considered a home game is not the same as playing at your home ground for months straight.

The least drawing in terms of fans showing up Melbourne club should be required to sell home games to Optus.

We played a home game at Adelaide this season, so let's not pretend it's not possible.

I don't want an extra home game, I want an extra two to four away games at Optus.

That is worded very specifically, because apparently a game at the same ground when not considered a home game is not the same as playing at your home ground for months straight.

The least drawing in terms of fans showing up Melbourne club should be required to sell home games to Optus.

We played a home game at Adelaide this season, so let's not pretend it's not possible.
I wouldn't hate the idea of developing a ground in either Busselton or Bunbury and selling games to struggling Vic clubs there.

If WA3 is forced on us I'd sure as hell want it to be based down there instead of another team in Perth

We can argue and we should.
One day, not far away, there will be 10 Vic teams and 10 non Vic teams!
We have made their comp bigger and better and they increasingly need us.
And the AFL espouses equalisation .
And medical research evidence continues to pile up.
So since we signed up...
there are 3, soon to be 4 more non Vic teams!
And back then flying was fun, now it's like the new smoking!
Times have changed.
We can increasingly leverage their self interest against their hypocrisy!
Taylor points out what amounts to a conflict of interest between the "powerhouse" Melbourne clubs and those who would be better off playing a home game at Optus in front of 45000!
Old power alliances can fracture under new circumstances.
Perhaps instead of calling for the euthanasia of the perennial battlers of the VFL we should be reaching out with home game assistance packages?
Good post.
Of the ten non Victorian teams, only the WA clubs will not be owned by the AFL.

EDIT: I found a stat where the eagles are travelling slightly more than us 😂

If we got one more home game I’d be happy enough to be honest. At least it would be an acknowledgement of the disadvantage

Interessting, they travel more Kms, yet less time in the air.Less by 13 hours.

I wouldn't hate the idea of developing a ground in either Busselton or Bunbury and selling games to struggling Vic clubs there.

If WA3 is forced on us I'd sure as hell want it to be based down there instead of another team in Perth

Cockburn should build stands for this purpose.

Not room I don't think. The South side of the VGKO , is not owned by the club or Cockburn council.
That is why that side of the ground is not vegetated or grassed.

I guess we can settle for a Fri/Sat double header at Optus or a Sat/Sun weekend with both WA sides playing on the ground that weekend.

The club could even sell the tickets to members to keep their current seating for the "away" games at the start of the year.

And if the AFL are the ones responsible for funding the event they will be the ones marketing it, not making Freo cough up $750,000 to a club like North for a game at Optus and having to sell 45,000 seats to make it financially viable.

Never been a real fan of either Hardwick or Clarkson, especially Clarkson because i always felt he was a smarse and had an ego the size of the MCG.
Both have been thrown in at the deep end of the pool by the AFL, with coaching jobs at The Road Kill Roos and the Suns.
Watching and listening to both, I ge the feeling that Hardwick is actually taking his job seriously, but I feel Clarkson thinks he has been sold a lemon and wants to get hand out to assist him
Hardwick actually looks like he has dived into the challenge head first and prepared to back the player he has available.I know that the GCS have had their share of hand outs and assistance, but they look like they have at long last melded together unde Hardwick.Actually wanting to pl;ay for him , and he is responding in kind.
Whereas I ge the feel that Clarkson is not happy finishing up with the worst team in the AFL.He never looks happy, not that anyone would be with the way they play.
They have been given assistance hand over fist by the AFL through money and player assistance.Yet they dont appear to be progressing in either aspect ..
Maybe accusations coming from the Hawthorn saga is still playing on his mind. Also he earned the wrath of the AFL with a slur against a player from another club. He doesn't think that he needs to be sent to lessons on life. He appears to be snubbing his nose at the AFL.
Clarkson is contracted with NM for five years, this is his second year, and there appears to be no progress, will he see out his contract!
Two coaches who have the great word thrown out about them, but has one taken the better path to more fame than the other?

We can argue and we should.
One day, not far away, there will be 10 Vic teams and 10 non Vic teams!
We have made their comp bigger and better and they increasingly need us.
And the AFL espouses equalisation .
And medical research evidence continues to pile up.
So since we signed up...
there are 3, soon to be 4 more non Vic teams!
And back then flying was fun, now it's like the new smoking!
Times have changed.
We can increasingly leverage their self interest against their hypocrisy!
Taylor points out what amounts to a conflict of interest between the "powerhouse" Melbourne clubs and those who would be better off playing a home game at Optus in front of 45000!
Old power alliances can fracture under new circumstances.
Perhaps instead of calling for the euthanasia of the perennial battlers of the VFL we should be reaching out with home game assistance packages?
I agree.

Take the Saints/North game at Docklands a few weeks back. Crowd was 27,009. There is no doubt that game would have garnered a much bigger crowd at Perth stadium. I and several of my mates would jump at the chance to go to a neutral game here in Perth. Then one of those teams stays the week and plays a home game against us here in Perth.

I agree.

Take the Saints/North game at Docklands a few weeks back. Crowd was 27,009. There is no doubt that game would have garnered a much bigger crowd at Perth stadium. I and several of my mates would jump at the chance to go to a neutral game here in Perth. Then one of those teams stays the week and plays a home game against us here in Perth.
Agree. I know a few who would go just to see a game that we had nothing invested into.
Loved weeknds in Melbourne, we would when the chance arrived go to four games over the weekend.And in betweena rather large amount of the amber liquid.Many an hour spent at the now defunct Bull and Bear.

I agree.

I was at the freo vs north game this year, 17,000 fans is an absolute joke, they should be made to play it at Optus where we’d give them 45,000 fans. The afl love quoting total round attendance, this would boost it significantly. I will venture a guess and suggest the saints will get a similar number tomorrow.

I was chatting to my neighbour this morning who asked me what was going on at Freo and then begun to tell me that West Coast will win a flag before Freo and Luke Beverage will be our next coach.Is there any West Coast supporters who don't swallow the West's bullpiss hook line and sinker?

They have been given assistance hand over fist by the AFL through money and player assistance.Yet they dont appear to be progressing in either aspect ..
This is not true. North have been given comparatively moderate assistance by the AFL in comparison to the suns.
One second round pick and one third round pick. Used to trade in Griffin Logue and Darcy Tucker. Hardly superstars.

Then last year they got one end of round 1 picks that turned out to be pick 29 on draft night due to the farcical amount of academy and FS bids before then.

They also were given two end of round 1 picks in 2024 draft, one was used to pick up Dylan Stephens from the swans and I think they might have kept the other, but it will be well into the 20s on the night of the national draft.

So basically they got no pick inside the top 20 of the draft. The suns were gifted an insane amount of assistance by comparison including pick 1 in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not true. North have been given comparatively moderate assistance by the AFL in comparison to the suns.
One second round pick and one third round pick. Used to trade in Griffin Logue and Darcy Tucker. Hardly superstars.

Then last year they got one end of round 1 picks that turned out to be pick 29 on draft night due to the farcical amount of academy and FS bids before then.

They also were given two end of round 1 picks in 2024 draft, one was used to pick up Dylan Stephens from the swans and I think they might have kept the other, but it will be well into the 20s on the night of the national draft.

So basically they got no pick inside the top 20 of the draft. The suns were gifted an insane amount of assistance by comparison including pick 1 in 2019.
Taken over the years the RKR have had plenty. They are a full time VFL team. They survived for years with the cheque book accounting of the Ansetts.
The Suns, GWS are start up franchises that the AGL own. They need to have assistance to survive, and remember they are trying to survive in a territory not conducivd or accepting of AFL.
North were one of the many VFL clubs that were broke back before 86, when the Eagles and Brissie saved the VFL.

North traded all their future picks in case the AFL reviewed their assistance package as they intended to.

It would be a slap in the face for them to get more assistance in 2024 after that.

North traded all their future picks in case the AFL reviewed their assistance package as they intended to.

It would be a slap in the face for them to get more assistance in 2024 after that.
Definitely don’t think they sound get more draft assistance.
Soft cap relief - maybe. Clarko salary probably taking up a big chunk of it and he’s not exactly starring so far

Much of what has happened to North is their own doing. Letting Mckay walk when they have no key defenders and then using picks on players like Fisher, Stephenson and Tucker and JHF. The pressure will really get to Clarko when players like LDU, Zurhaar, and Larkey want to leave because they are so sick of losing.

there's a brilliant new t-shirt to celebrate our 30 years - features Modra, Waterhouse etc, but it's bogan black!
well the bogan Freo supporterss will enjoy it.

Sadly i was always the Nerd not the Bogan. So never liked at school. but went on to get good jobs.. :)

Even Green merchandise i would buy.. just not black..

nerd here too

Shh, we dont want to upset the other fans...
Homer Simpson Nerd GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back