Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why 20 teams? Just dilutes the talent

I'd prefer two vic teams merge do it's 18 again
Good luck getting Vic teams to merge, they couldn't even move north to GC let alone merge 2 whole clubs

Fanbases would riot
Yeah, this.

There’s no way the afl or the tv stations would support a reduction in teams/games.

We’re heading to 20 teams, it’s just a matter of where.

Plan will be similar to the last expansion, within a couple of years of the Tassie side coming in.

Still think the 20th team should be NT/ northern Australia though.
Don't get this thing tbh.

To get 10,000 people to the footy in Darwin, 1 in 13 people in the city would need to show up.

Outside of losing the AFL an absolute ****tonne of money I fail to see what an NT team would achieve.

North Qld isn't any better only with less people being interested in footy than NRL.

To get 10,000 people to the footy in Darwin, 1 in 13 people in the city would need to show up.

Outside of losing the AFL an absolute ****tonne of money I fail to see what an NT team would achieve.

North Qld isn't any better only with less people being interested in footy than NRL.

Just merge norf and saints

If I land at 11:40am on Saturday morning for the Freo v Hawks game at Optus (6th May)... 5:30pm start.

Odds on me staying awake the whole game?
Flights booked. I’m doing this. Beers at the Camfield! Last time I saw Freo v Hawks live was some unmentionable day in 2013 that we don’t speak about so keen to blow them off the park. Let’s *ing goooooooo.

if the economic case for a tassie team is dubious, there's no way in hell a NT team could come close to standing up. i would love to see it, but it's not going to happen.

if the economic case for a tassie team is dubious, there's no way in hell a NT team could come close to standing up. i would love to see it, but it's not going to happen.
If it’s all about economics and a club that can support itself then a 3rd WA club is the best choice, from a purely selfish point of view, I don’t hate the idea as we’d end up with two “away” games we don’t have to fly interstate for, if it was set up in the northern suburbs then it would be mainly eagles members jumping ship to support them.
I guess after our 3peat the AwFL may decide a 3rd WA team is an option to try to stop us dominating for a decade.

I don't think there is any new money in WA Footy for a third WA team. AFL supporters in WA already have a team and they sure know the game exists if they don't yet have one. The risk would be that the already marginal support for Fremantle compared to WC is further exacerbated and neither the Dockers or WA3 have enough attendance at home games to turn a profit playing at Optus.

I believe the break even line for Optus attendances is around the 40,000 mark and then it quickly rushes into the black. Our average attendance was just under 36,000. Home games, the one that matters was 42,000. It's on a razor edge.

Good luck getting Vic teams to merge, they couldn't even move north to GC let alone merge 2 whole clubs

Fanbases would riot
Merging is much easy to swallow than relocating interstate. You get a bigger fan base and once the sting has worn off you are no longer the strugglers and might get some media attention if you can get 40K to a home game vs interstate & 80K to a big vic game.

I don't think there is any new money in WA Footy for a third WA team. AFL supporters in WA already have a team and they sure know the game exists if they don't yet have one. The risk would be that the already marginal support for Fremantle compared to WC is further exacerbated and neither the Dockers or WA3 have enough attendance at home games to turn a profit playing at Optus.

I believe the break even line for Optus attendances is around the 40,000 mark and then it quickly rushes into the black. Our average attendance was just under 36,000. Home games, the one that matters was 42,000. It's on a razor edge.
Isn’t there a waiting list for WC supporters to even get seated memberships? I would expect most of the fan base for WA3 would come from there. Also as there would be 11 additional home games at Optus every year, raising from 22 to 33, surely the stadium deal could get renegotiated down as there would be a heap more revenue coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t there a waiting list for WC supporters to even get seated memberships? I would expect most of the fan base for WA3 would come from there. Also as there would be 11 additional home games at Optus every year, raising from 22 to 33, surely the stadium deal could get renegotiated down as there would be a heap more revenue coming in.
Especially if they call them the Perth Pirates & they plunder North of the River fans.

The In the Wings is quite large yes, and I'll put it to you that if those people were going to jump to a new team they would wear purple already. They are yellow and blue, through and through.

The In the Wings is quite large yes, and I'll put it to you that if those people were going to jump to a new team they would wear purple already. They are yellow and blue, through and through.
Yeah, they are a dedicated bunch for sure. I worked with a girl who was on that list for a very long time until optus opened, and she finally got a seat. I think she said 7 years or something.

There is no chance a 3rd WA team could sustain itself. It is nothing more than fantasy.
Not true, it would easily make more money than the last two teams that were added or a Tassie side. Not to mention extra tv revenue if it resulted in an extra game a weekend.

Per Capita for footy states, another Perth team is easily achievable.

Melbourne - 5.2m, 9 teams = 570K per team
Perth - 2.5m, 2 teams = 1.25m per team
Perth with three teams = 830K per team

The expansion sides have resulted in more money for the league, it is just done through TV revenue and hand outs. A new team would start with handouts and take as long as Freo to get going but would become sustainable eventually and I doubt it would impact Freo long term. Less travel is better for us and another home derby would provide more money.

Not true, it would easily make more money than the last two teams that were added or a Tassie side. Not to mention extra tv revenue if it resulted in an extra game a weekend.

Per Capita for footy states, another Perth team is easily achievable.

Melbourne - 5.2m, 9 teams = 570K per team
Perth - 2.5m, 2 teams = 1.25m per team
Perth with three teams = 830K per team

The expansion sides have resulted in more money for the league, it is just done through TV revenue and hand outs. A new team would start with handouts and take as long as Freo to get going but would become sustainable eventually and I doubt it would impact Freo long term. Less travel is better for us and another home derby would provide more money.

The issue is that there are no new markets to open up in WA. The media money is at full saturation. The NSW/QLD markets are not the same, there are plenty of new eyeballs to capture there with added exposure.

I don't want us to become the campaigner older team like they are.
Nah, we’d be the cooler older Brother and Sister that looks out for the younger one, buys them beers, invites them to parties and backs them up in front of the parents but beats the hell out of them whenever we fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back