Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

SO this is completely random and not at all new, but I was searching for info on Fyfe's total contested possessions for each season, and this was brought up in the results:

I would have read this at the time, but it's nice to be reminded of how brilliant he has been. Looking at it now after reading so many comments about Fyfe offering no defensive pressure, it was interesting to see this line towards the end:

"789 – Fyfe’s career tackle count is the third most-for Fremantle. He only needs nine more to overtake Matthew Pavlich (798) to move into second place."

This is in the lead up to his 200th game, so basically was averaging 4 tackles a game up to that point. Obviously tackling is only one measure of defensive effort (arguably the most attacking form of defence, at that), but I remain impressed by how well he performed even against the measures that he's not best known for.
Yeah the defensive stuff was always dumb analysis in regards to Fyfe. He's an attacking player always has been. In that regards he was never any worse than Martin, Oliver, Petracca, etc. You can't have a full midfield of two way runners.

SO this is completely random and not at all new, but I was searching for info on Fyfe's total contested possessions for each season, and this was brought up in the results:

I would have read this at the time, but it's nice to be reminded of how brilliant he has been. Looking at it now after reading so many comments about Fyfe offering no defensive pressure, it was interesting to see this line towards the end:

"789 – Fyfe’s career tackle count is the third most-for Fremantle. He only needs nine more to overtake Matthew Pavlich (798) to move into second place."

This is in the lead up to his 200th game, so basically was averaging 4 tackles a game up to that point. Obviously tackling is only one measure of defensive effort (arguably the most attacking form of defence, at that), but I remain impressed by how well he performed even against the measures that he's not best known for.
There’s a solid chance there will never be another Fremantle player that scales the individual heights that Nat Fyfe did, in the lifetime of everyone who posts on this board.
Quite frankly - he’s one of the best AFL players of all time, and if he played for a big Melbourne club they would probably have a statue of him outside the G already.
For a period of 8 years or so the guy struck fear into the hearts of opposition teams in a manner no other freo player has ever really done.

There’s a solid chance there will never be another Fremantle player that scales the individual heights that Nat Fyfe did, in the lifetime of everyone who posts on this board.
Quite frankly - he’s one of the best AFL players of all time, and if he played for a big Melbourne club they would probably have a statue of him outside the G already.
For a period of 8 years or so the guy struck fear into the hearts of opposition teams in a manner no other freo player has ever really done.
I was reflecting on this the other day, he reached the highest heights but is he Freo's greatest player?

If not for a bullshit suspension, and an "errant" Sam Mitchell knee, would be a 4x time brownlow medalist.

I was reflecting on this the other day, he reached the highest heights but is he Freo's greatest player?
Fyfe was the best player to ever play for freo, but Pav is the greatest freo player. Fyfe's peak wasn't even close to anyone else. Between round 14 2014 and round 14 2015 he had polled 45 votes from 22 games. It's crazy how he's a 2x brownlow medallist yet to me his career is still a huge "what if". Injuries really ruined him.

Fyfe was the best player to ever play for freo, but Pav is the greatest freo player. Fyfe's peak wasn't even close to anyone else. Between round 14 2014 and round 14 2015 he had polled 45 votes from 22 games. It's crazy how he's a 2x brownlow medallist yet to me his career is still a huge "what if". Injuries really ruined him.
Couldn't have said it better myself, exactly how I feel about it.

To be fair Gary Ablett Junior was the same.

yes, he's the greatest player to play for Freo imo. Pav's the greatest Docker, but Fyfe's our greatest ever player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just thinking we weren't relitigating this in enough threads.

Anyway you're wrong Pav was the best player as well.
I'm going the other way
Fyfe our best player ever, as well as the greatest Docker.
Not as "public" as Pav & more unicorn with his persona, but no less Freo through & through, nurturing after his captaincy & would never sell us short in commentary
Currently I am enjoying a Republic of Fremantle signature vodka at Valhalla in Collins st b4 going 2 fringe comedy about American evangelists
Go Freo

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good article from a pretty good site. Hopefully might calm some of the angst here.
The second paragraph has already annoyed me though

The rookie contract thing, he was dropped down for 2 years but we actually elevated him a year early when we didn't have to

He also was on a rookie "contract" but it wasnt rookie wages, people can't seem to understand this...

He was chased by hawthorn in 2021, we genuinely had to up our offer to match/beat them and they have had cap space for years, there is this false narrative that Schultz has been on chips the past 3 years, it's not correct, there is no way he stays if we don't atleast get close to a poaching teams offer, simple as that.

The second paragraph has already annoyed me though

The rookie contract thing, he was dropped down for 2 years but we actually elevated him a year early when we didn't have to

He also was on a rookie "contract" but it wasnt rookie wages, people can't seem to understand this...

He was chased by hawthorn in 2021, we genuinely had to up our offer to match/beat them and they have had cap space for years, there is this false narrative that Schultz has been on chips the past 3 years, it's not correct, there is no way he stays if we don't atleast get close to a poaching teams offer, simple as that.

It does mostly discount that as a factor. In the end it’s not really about Schultz but more why Fremantle is having this period. Just thought it would be good to point out that we might not have made as many mistakes as some think we gave. It’s one of the few articles that actually bothers to go beyond a list of names that have left and left me at least feeling more positive about our future.

Good article by Rhino and it’s finally good to see media bringing this up.
Why isn’t the vic media grilling Andrew dillon and Gill for this?
Because ultimately it benefits them.
The nano second a rule even looks like advantaging the non vic clubs -(see the metro indigenous players clause )all hell breaks loose in at vAFL house

Remove this Banner Ad

Back