List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

agreed.
Year round, like you can sign cat b players
I like the idea.
But wasn’t this type of thing decided against because of the effect on the club loosing a key player to AFL?

This isn’t a factor for cat B as they come from other sports.

I really hope we are looking at a few overagers who failed to get picked up last year.

Will McLachlan would be my pick. Started the season incredibly for the Falcons and is lethal around goals. Would be a great prospect.

Assuming we don’t go Ned Long as that inside mid, I also wouldn’t mind us looking at Patrick Hughes who shared the Morrish medal with McKercher last year, but failed to get picked up in the draft.

Hughes has gone back to Torquay and is likely to get a run with the Cats VFL side very soon. Kicked 6 goals last week (12 in 3 games) so is definitely now showing he has other strings to his bow than just being a prolific ball winner.

It was mentioned on Gettable, we had interest in Dan McKenzie in the preseason, who is playing for port meb - is he someone we look at?
They also mentioned looking at Jack Hutchinson. How he is raw but exciting. But whether or not he'll be available at our pick is another thing

Last edited:
Nah I disagree

If the season can stay even and we can hit 4-5/5-5 we'll be fine.

Especially if Dean can come along or if we can be smart enough to take Sofronidis in the MSD is the closest like for like for Murphy we're going to find

He's 2cm taller and a year younger than Murphy and plays a similar defensive role. Would be the best option imo.
You’ve been told multiple times that Sof is nothing like Murphy in the way he plays but continue to insist he’s like for like because of his height. I don’t understand why you continue to pursue this narrative when it’s just not true.

It was mentioned on Gettable, we had interest in Dan McKenzie in the preseason, who is playing for port meb - is he someone we look at?
They also mentioned looking at Jack Hutchinson. How he is raw but exciting. But whether or not he'll be available at our pick is another thing
probably a no on Mackenzie, injury prone to the masses

Who was the one that called this one? Seems you are spot on.
Pretty sure I said to TD yesterday that we likely recruited Eyre as a potential Murphy replacement when he said we’d be regretting not getting Sof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it will be a brave team considering Hutchinson based on his VFL form to date - he'll need a dramatic improvement over the next month to match the hype he's been getting.
Whomever will select him will be based on his raw potential. and the excitement factor. He has a lot of afl attributes. But he has kicked a few goals in most of his games this year.

You’ve been told multiple times that Sof is nothing like Murphy in the way he plays but continue to insist he’s like for like because of his height. I don’t understand why you continue to pursue this narrative when it’s just not true.

I've watched him play VFL

Not sure what's so vastly different about the way he plays compared to Murphy.

Many also seem to assume he can't learn to adjust/tweak here and there to play a specific role?

Whomever will select him will be based on his raw potential. and the excitement factor. He has a lot of afl attributes. But he has kicked a few goals in most of his games this year.
Sorry Jen, I don't see it. He's 190cm, without great speed or ground game, both of which are needed if you are going to excel at that size in the fwd line.

At a minimum, he would need to have the athleticism of AJ to make it IMO.

Sorry Jen, I don't see it. He's 190cm, without great speed or ground game, both of which are needed if you are going to excel at that size in the fwd line.

At a minimum, he would need to have the athleticism of AJ for me to get excited.
He's a big strong unit. Has athleticism, loves to fly in the air. Has a good ground level pressure game.

Do you consider his athleticism comparable to AJ or Kreuger?

Who would be a 190cm fwd that he's comparable to?
They compared him to bailey Fritsch type on the coverage.
Prob more AJ, as I don't think Ive seen Kreuger fly in the air the way Jack does.

I like us to take Ned Long… but with Macrae, Allan, Sullivan, Bytel… another developing mid of low to moderate ceiling… is probably not a pressing need

Targeting a decent FA mid is probably the better move

Needs based MSD could target

1. Key forward

Finding a key forward will be hard. There are solid VFL types like Brodie McLaughlan or Hudson Garoni… but I don’t see the club going there

2. Ruck

Another ruck as Steene and Begg not up to it… is a need imo as no one to adequately ruck if cox or Cameron go down.

Hopefully the club is already organising an end of year trade for a decent ruck who is not getting a weekly senior game at another club like Moyle, Reeves

I don’t see a pressing need for a MSD Murphy replacement as all of Dean, Eyre, Jiath, Ryan in reserves

The talk of pies being interested in Laughie Young puzzled me. But if they do go there I will back there judgement given the recent success in identifying cheap and ready made talent

Should get rid of the mid season draft and just let clubs sign SSP players if they want to whenever a list vacancy appeared.
Otherwise known as free agency in every sport with a FA model other than ours… I’ve been banging on about that one for years.

I've watched him play VFL

Not sure what's so vastly different about the way he plays compared to Murphy.

Many also seem to assume he can't learn to adjust/tweak here and there to play a specific role?
I’ve italicised that for you 👍

Eight quarters of VFL footy and he’s comparable to our most important defender…

2. Ruck

Another ruck as Steene and Begg not up to it… is a need imo as no one to adequately ruck if cox or Cameron go down.

Hopefully the club is already organising an end of year trade for a decent ruck who is not getting a weekly senior game at another club like Moyle, Reeves

I think we value marking really highly in terms of ruck, so not sure if they'd be our targets.

List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back