List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I like us to take Ned Long… but with Macrae, Allan, Sullivan, Bytel… another developing mid of low to moderate ceiling… is probably not a pressing need

Targeting a decent FA mid is probably the better move

Needs based MSD could target

1. Key forward

Finding a key forward will be hard. There are solid VFL types like Brodie McLaughlan or Hudson Garoni… but I don’t see the club going there

2. Ruck

Another ruck as Steene and Begg not up to it… is a need imo as no one to adequately ruck if cox or Cameron go down.

Hopefully the club is already organising an end of year trade for a decent ruck who is not getting a weekly senior game at another club like Moyle, Reeves

I don’t see a pressing need for a MSD Murphy replacement as all of Dean, Eyre, Jiath, Ryan in reserves

The talk of pies being interested in Laughie Young puzzled me. But if they do go there I will back there judgement given the recent success in identifying cheap and ready made talent
Bit quick on the draw with Steene, don't you think?
Or, do you just mean in the short term?
Somebody like Teakle would be handy depth, for sure.

I've watched him play VFL

Not sure what's so vastly different about the way he plays compared to Murphy.

Many also seem to assume he can't learn to adjust/tweak here and there to play a specific role?

Well Murphy's 1 wood is that he is a 1 on 1 beast. He plays close to a dangerous opponent, and hardly ever loses a contest, if he cant mark he will get a fist in to halve it. Murphy's close checking allows our looser interceptors like Howe and Moore space to mark.

The 1 on 1 contested stuff is what Sof has to work on. Sof reads the play well, intercepts well but he very much plays as the loose man, 3rd man up type rather than the close checking defender

I’ve italicised that for you 👍

Eight quarters of VFL footy and he’s comparable to our most important defender…

Good lord what a disingenuous way to twist one’s words

Like, he’s a defender man. They’re not rocket scientists. He seems to read the ball in flight well without losing touch with his opponent

Like Murph

Add in things like…you know, development and teaching and stuff and I don’t see why we can’t back ourselves to get him into a position to play the role

F**k me some of you are like dogs with a bone when you have a poster you don’t like. Literally the “b*tch eating crackers” meme

Even when saying something positive like “this player looks like he could be good we should consider recruiting him” you have to turn it into a negative because of who posted it

Steene might make it long term… but nowhere near it right now.

Needs to just stay on the park for a bit… then bulk up. Feels like that will take a while… if at all.

Yeah another mature age ruck is a need for mine. Wished they had of taken Naismith late last year

Would’ve put selection pressure on Cox in particular

Last edited:
Steene might make it long term… but nowhere near it right now.

Needs to just stay on the park for a bit… then bulk up. Feels like that will take a while… if at all.

Yeah another mature age ruck is a need for mine. Wished they had of taken Naismith late last year

Would’ve put selection pressure on Cox in particular
Yeah, pressure on Cox, plus would allow Steene to play second ruck/ forward target, which is likely a better pathway for him.

Yeah I thought we'd select Teakle too. Wonder if they'd consider him for MSD.. that's if he was close to being selected over pre-season.

Yeah I thought we'd select Teakle too. Wonder if they'd consider him for MSD.. that's if he was close to being selected over pre-season.
Looks to be going alright

I feel like we didn't let him train/auditon in his natural position - Ruck, and tried to make him a forward/ruck

Like, he’s a defender man. They’re not rocket scientists. He seems to read the ball in flight well without losing touch with his opponent

Like Murph

Add in things like…you know, development and teaching and stuff and I don’t see why we can’t back ourselves to get him into a position to play the role

F**k me some of you are like dogs with a bone when you have a poster you don’t like. Literally the “b*tch eating crackers” meme

Even when saying something positive like “this player looks like he could be good we should consider recruiting him” you have to turn it into a negative because of who posted it
I mean if that’s all it took to cause you to snap maybe you need to take a break. My read is the bolded indicates you’re significantly underselling the role and the theme of your posting is overrating a guy that’s 200 minutes beyond a park footballer when everyone is telling you to maybe cool your jets for a number of differing reasons. Stuff like this isn’t the poster it’s the content…

Last edited:

A host of Victoria's top prospects in contention for this year's AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will feature against the state's best under 18 boys footballers in the 2024 Young Guns Series, which begins this weekend.

The two-game series will see the Young Guns take on Victoria Metro and Victoria Country under 18 teams over the next two weeks.

The Young Guns will play Victoria Metro at Werribee's Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday, April 20 from 4:20pm. They will then take on Victoria Country on Sunday, April 28 at Windy Hill from 11:00am.

The Young Guns comprises players eligible for selection in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, which will be held on Wednesday, May 29.

The team is selected from nominations submitted by AFL club recruiters, along with input from VFL clubs and Coates Talent League programs.

All players selected for the Young Guns are aged 19 or under as of January 1, 2024. The team features prospects who compete in the VFL or as overage players in the Coates Talent League Boys competition.
YOUNG GUNS SERIES – GAME 1
Young Guns vs Victoria Metro U18
Saturday, April 20 at 4:20pm
Avalon Airport Oval, Werribee

YOUNG GUNS

#FIRST NAMESURNAMEHTSTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
1ThomasHanily178Gippsland Power (CTL)Leongatha
2TobynMurray180Geelong Cats (VFL)Colac
3TarkynO'Leary178Sandringham (VFL)Noble Park
4OskarSmartt180Essendon (VFL)Keilor
5OliverPoole183Bendigo Pioneers (CTL)Echuca United
6RyanBrodie182Calder Cannons (CTL)Strathmore
7LiamKershaw185Geelong Falcons (CTL)St Joseph's
8DaytonUerata184Bendigo Pioneers (CTL)Sandhurst
9CooperLord184Sandringham Dragons (CTL)Old Scotch
10BenHopkins190Dandenong Stingrays (CTL)Langwarrin
11GeordiePayne184Tasmania Devils (CTL)North Launceston
12KadeDe La Rue183North Melbourne (VFL)Beaconsfield
13RyCantwell187Eastern Ranges (CTL)North Ringwood
14WillMcLachlan181Geelong Falcons (CTL)Colac
15KobeShipp188Casey Demons (VFL)Beaconsfield
16LachieMcArthur190Western Jets (CTL)Keilor
17RyanEyre191Calder Cannons (CTL)Castlemaine
18CooperTrembath193Eastern Ranges (CTL)Park Orchards
19RiakAndrew192Dandenong Stingrays (CTL)Berwick
20NedMaginness194Sandringham Dragons (CTL)East Brighton
21RemyMaclean196Eastern Ranges (CTL)East Ringwood
22MaxMapley199Tasmania Devils (CTL)Clarence
23IliroSmit200Eastern Ranges (CTL)Montrose
24JoePike203Geelong Falcons (CTL)Barwon Heads

VICTORIA METRO

1MassimoRaso171Western JetsKeilor
2LachyDovaston175Eastern RangesBlackburn
3JaydenNguyen177Calder CannonsAberfeldie
4LukeQuaynor178Oakleigh ChargersDoncaster East
5WestonBarker176Western JetsYarraville-Seddon
6JakRyan176Eastern RangesWoori Yallock
7DamonHollow180Calder CannonsEpping
8LucasMcInerney180Northern KnightsHeidelberg
9CodyAnderson180Eastern RangesHealesville
10NashKing181Calder CannonsWallan
11LukeKennedy181Sandringham DragonsOrmond
12LuccaGrego184Western JetsKeilor
14ThomasWenzel184Oakleigh ChargersHawthorn Citizens
15LiamFarrar188Northern KnightsDiamond Creek
16XavierKardachi185Western JetsSunshine
17KeightonMatofai-Forbes185Western JetsKeilor
18SethMacdonald188Eastern RangesLysterfield
19GabrielStumpf194Northern KnightsWarrandyte
20RileyWhite194Eastern RangesPark Orchards
26LouisEmmett200Oakleigh ChargersGlen Iris
27AdrianCole197Sandringham DragonsSt Bede's/Mentone
28LucasImpey199Western JetsDarley
29LucasTovey198Oakleigh ChargersBlackburn
30ThomasSims199Northern KnightsMontmorency

Then how could we just beat Hawthorn then?
Because Hawks played their one outstanding game of the year against us. You've been a Pie supporter long enough to know most teams do that against us.

And Mitchell's coaching move of moving Hardwick to the forward line which paid off better than he could ever have hoped for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Hawks played their one outstanding game of the year against us. You've been a Pie supporter long enough to know most teams do that against us.

And Mitchell's coaching move of moving Hardwick to the forward line which paid off better than he could ever have hoped for.

Our Pressure and Effort was nothing good in the 2nd Half Compared to 1st Half

The odds of us finding a good player are fairly low even more so given this years MSD is talked about being particularly shallow on talent. We’ve done well with noble, but it’s not proven to be some amazing hunting ground. Hawks found Newcombe, rich got pickett, don’t think there’s been huge success from it. This just highlights the gulf between vfl and afl, and how many players can look amazing at vfl but can’t take the next step

The odds of us finding a good player are fairly low even more so given this years MSD is talked about being particularly shallow on talent. We’ve done well with noble, but it’s not proven to be some amazing hunting ground. Hawks found Newcombe, rich got pickett, don’t think there’s been huge success from it. This just highlights the gulf between vfl and afl, and how many players can look amazing at vfl but can’t take the next step

MSD is Built more a Replacement Prospect then a Young Gun

A host of Victoria's top prospects in contention for this year's AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will feature against the state's best under 18 boys footballers in the 2024 Young Guns Series, which begins this weekend.

The two-game series will see the Young Guns take on Victoria Metro and Victoria Country under 18 teams over the next two weeks.

The Young Guns will play Victoria Metro at Werribee's Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday, April 20 from 4:20pm. They will then take on Victoria Country on Sunday, April 28 at Windy Hill from 11:00am.

The Young Guns comprises players eligible for selection in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, which will be held on Wednesday, May 29.

The team is selected from nominations submitted by AFL club recruiters, along with input from VFL clubs and Coates Talent League programs.

All players selected for the Young Guns are aged 19 or under as of January 1, 2024. The team features prospects who compete in the VFL or as overage players in the Coates Talent League Boys competition.
YOUNG GUNS SERIES – GAME 1
Young Guns vs Victoria Metro U18
Saturday, April 20 at 4:20pm
Avalon Airport Oval, Werribee

YOUNG GUNS

1ThomasHanily178Gippsland Power (CTL)Leongatha
2TobynMurray180Geelong Cats (VFL)Colac
3TarkynO'Leary178Sandringham (VFL)Noble Park
4OskarSmartt180Essendon (VFL)Keilor
5OliverPoole183Bendigo Pioneers (CTL)Echuca United
6RyanBrodie182Calder Cannons (CTL)Strathmore
7LiamKershaw185Geelong Falcons (CTL)St Joseph's
8DaytonUerata184Bendigo Pioneers (CTL)Sandhurst
9CooperLord184Sandringham Dragons (CTL)Old Scotch
10BenHopkins190Dandenong Stingrays (CTL)Langwarrin
11GeordiePayne184Tasmania Devils (CTL)North Launceston
12KadeDe La Rue183North Melbourne (VFL)Beaconsfield
13RyCantwell187Eastern Ranges (CTL)North Ringwood
14WillMcLachlan181Geelong Falcons (CTL)Colac
15KobeShipp188Casey Demons (VFL)Beaconsfield
16LachieMcArthur190Western Jets (CTL)Keilor
17RyanEyre191Calder Cannons (CTL)Castlemaine
18CooperTrembath193Eastern Ranges (CTL)Park Orchards
19RiakAndrew192Dandenong Stingrays (CTL)Berwick
20NedMaginness194Sandringham Dragons (CTL)East Brighton
21RemyMaclean196Eastern Ranges (CTL)East Ringwood
22MaxMapley199Tasmania Devils (CTL)Clarence
23IliroSmit200Eastern Ranges (CTL)Montrose
24JoePike203Geelong Falcons (CTL)Barwon Heads

VICTORIA METRO

1MassimoRaso171Western JetsKeilor
2LachyDovaston175Eastern RangesBlackburn
3JaydenNguyen177Calder CannonsAberfeldie
4LukeQuaynor178Oakleigh ChargersDoncaster East
5WestonBarker176Western JetsYarraville-Seddon
6JakRyan176Eastern RangesWoori Yallock
7DamonHollow180Calder CannonsEpping
8LucasMcInerney180Northern KnightsHeidelberg
9CodyAnderson180Eastern RangesHealesville
10NashKing181Calder CannonsWallan
11LukeKennedy181Sandringham DragonsOrmond
12LuccaGrego184Western JetsKeilor
14ThomasWenzel184Oakleigh ChargersHawthorn Citizens
15LiamFarrar188Northern KnightsDiamond Creek
16XavierKardachi185Western JetsSunshine
17KeightonMatofai-Forbes185Western JetsKeilor
18SethMacdonald188Eastern RangesLysterfield
19GabrielStumpf194Northern KnightsWarrandyte
20RileyWhite194Eastern RangesPark Orchards
26LouisEmmett200Oakleigh ChargersGlen Iris
27AdrianCole197Sandringham DragonsSt Bede's/Mentone
28LucasImpey199Western JetsDarley
29LucasTovey198Oakleigh ChargersBlackburn
30ThomasSims199Northern KnightsMontmorency
Cooper Trembath and Remy MacLean are both 19yos from Eastern Ranges like Begg was, so are probably reasonable options to think we might be looking at.

I've watched him play VFL

Not sure what's so vastly different about the way he plays compared to Murphy.

Many also seem to assume he can't learn to adjust/tweak here and there to play a specific role?
He plays more like Howe, doesn’t have the frame to take on heavier opponents like Murphy had, and he’ll need significantly more weight added to that frame to be AFL relevant.

Honestly I find your insistence on getting Sof fairly strange. To my eye he’s not AFL relevant as an overage prospect until he develops his body, and if the club is looking for a mature age recruit in their mid 20’s they should be looking at someone who can make an immediate impact.
Add to that, that we recruited Eyre ahead of Sof in the SSP, very likely with an eye to replacing Murphy in this scenario, who is younger, taller, heavier and from all accounts a better key position prospect. We now have all of Frampton, Eyre and Dean competing for 1 senior spot, maybe 2 in the future if Howe retires but there’s every chance that the club will go very slightly shorter and he’ll be replaced by TJ (who I really rate as a medium tall intercept rebounder).

I just don’t see a spot for him on our list.

Like Murph

This isn’t about you, stop being so dramatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back