Team Mgmt. 2024 Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope it settles to something like this:

C: Martin Setterfield Durham
R: Draper Parish Merrett/Perkins

Hobbs, Caldwell, Durham can all rotate through

I am excited at the prospect of Parish feeding to Durham/Caldwell & a rejuvenated Perk.

With the addition of Durham and the form of Perkins and Caldwell we can use Merrett in a far more damaging role as floating forward and back.

Heeney said he was cramping in the 3rd so I’d say it was mostly the intensity at the start was just extreme.

More experienced sides can switch to a slow down mode to conserve energy to maintain intensity a whole game
Id go as fas and say that our defence on the stoppage was exacerbated by the powerful Swans midfielders exiting said stoppage. Its felt like a problem for years where we allow teams to waltz the ball out the front of a stoppage

Depth in numbers is exasperated by health in perosnell. Shiel (down the pecking order), Tsatas (still outside the best 22) and Setterfield (fringe 22) whilst Archie Perkins has proven to be a healthy contributor this year.

We still took a powerful Dogs midfield group to task. Obviously plenty made about Durham but he had some mates without many dominating. Caldwell contributed, Hobbs contributed, Parish was a role player on the weekend (despite the high numbers).

Will actually start getting harder when all those guys missing return (Shiel, Tsatas, Setterfield, Perkins).

Depth in numbers is exasperated by health in perosnell. Shiel (down the pecking order), Tsatas (still outside the best 22) and Setterfield (fringe 22) whilst Archie Perkins has proven to be a healthy contributor this year.

We still took a powerful Dogs midfield group to task. Obviously plenty made about Durham but he had some mates without many dominating. Caldwell contributed, Hobbs contributed, Parish was a role player on the weekend (despite the high numbers).

Will actually start getting harder when all those guys missing return (Shiel, Tsatas, Setterfield, Perkins).
...and when they're all in form, who does the oppo tag? I reckon Merrett is still our most important distributor, followed by Martin. We need a contingency for Martin's role so he can play a back up role for Zac if needs be.

...and when they're all in form, who does the oppo tag? I reckon Merrett is still our most important distributor, followed by Martin. We need a contingency for Martin's role so he can play a back up role for Zac if needs be.
That is why they drafted Roberts and Lual and will probably want to find someone for attacking half back via FA as they do want to put Martin in the midfield in the future. Part of the current Martin move is to put more time into his defensive actions so when he does get to the midfield he knows what is required.

I like the midfield mix now as long as Caldwell / Durham / Perkins / Setterfield are in the mix. Friday night showed that Caldwell and Durham can play a role against the opposition mids in a run with type role and still be productive . Not sure where it leaves Shiel unless he can play pressure forward but pressure is not his natural game. Good problem to have.

Think our mid is about balance. If that means we have players knocking down the door in Vfl it's a good thing.

Not sure setterfield and durham work as defensive mids together. Durham/caldwell better.

Merret/parish I'm not sold on long term working.

I'd like to see mids picked this year on development and mix and not just mashing our best 22 players into a team.

Merret only a-grader so everyone else should be in competition for spots/ensure they can play the role needed.

That is why they drafted Roberts and Lual and will probably want to find someone for attacking half back via FA as they do want to put Martin in the midfield in the future. Part of the current Martin move is to put more time into his defensive actions so when he does get to the midfield he knows what is required.

I like the midfield mix now as long as Caldwell / Durham / Perkins / Setterfield are in the mix. Friday night showed that Caldwell and Durham can play a role against the opposition mids in a run with type role and still be productive . Not sure where it leaves Shiel unless he can play pressure forward but pressure is not his natural game. Good problem to have.
If I recall, before he got injured again Shiel had started to improve defensively and had even made a couple of really strong tackles here and there. It did feel a bit like he was a square peg being forced into a round hole but the effort to do as required was clear. But I think Shiel is gone at season's end.

I suspected that was the role for Roberts but haven't seen him play. You VFL watchers have had a decent gig as his hype people - I'm hyped for him and Hayes.

Lual I'd forgotten about. Has there been improvement?

If I recall, before he got injured again Shiel had started to improve defensively and had even made a couple of really strong tackles here and there. It did feel a bit like he was a square peg being forced into a round hole but the effort to do as required was clear. But I think Shiel is gone at season's end.

I suspected that was the role for Roberts but haven't seen him play. You VFL watchers have had a decent gig as his hype people - I'm hyped for him and Hayes.

Lual I'd forgotten about. Has there been improvement?
Coming along okay. Has improved a lot from the early match sim.

I read somewhere that he has serious speed but he's a rough kick when he gets to the limit of his run?
Definitely quick, gaining the confidence to go for runs now and then. His kicking in the match vs Brisbane was a little if but I'd say that was just him trying to prove himself by kicking darts (similar to a lot of Martin's kicks). Since then, he's starting to give them a bit more height and weight them much better. Strong potential to be a really good player.

I read somewhere that he has serious speed but he's a rough kick when he gets to the limit of his run?
It will be his kicking that will sink him if he can not turn it around but he is not a shocking kick .

Not a fan of the two rucks personally. The game is all about running power and we are not in a position to forfeit any of that with our lack of leg speed. I get with Reid and Wright out this may be different but if one of those return would like the 1 ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most good teams have about six guys go through the middle over a game. Some more than others. The key is to find the other parts of the ground they can play in when not in the guts.

At the moment if healthy our best six are likely (alternate position in brackets)

Merrett (wing)
Parish (half forward)
Durham (wing)
Caldwell (half forward)
Setterfield (half back?)
Perkins (half forward)

Hobbs, Tsatas, Shiel, Martin, Stringer the others who can filter through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back