Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In a huge clash between pick 1 contenders Josh Smillie clearly got the better of Finn O'Sullivan on the day. He was strong at the contest, clean by foot and got forward to bag a couple of goals.

Thanks noobermensch! Looking forward to watching your clips again this year.

I’m a big big fan of Smillie but this clip perfectly highlights a couple of things for mine.

1. His marking is a little bit inconsistent, capable of taking really strong contested marks, but can also drop east sitters.

2. Despite his size advantage when he gets tackled he sometimes struggles to get his hands free to fire off handballs. This is a big part of the effectiveness that the best big bodied mids (Cripps, Bont, Green ect) are excellent at. Our very own Ben Cunnington was a master at it and it’s something that Smillie will have to improve if he is going to be that monster inside mid that everyone expects him to be!

On the positive side you can see his creativity, his kicking skill and his ability to cover the ground which is awesome for a kid his size/age.

Thanks noobermensch! Looking forward to watching your clips again this year.

I’m a big big fan of Smillie but this clip perfectly highlights a couple of things for mine.

1. His marking is a little bit inconsistent, capable of taking really strong contested marks, but can also drop east sitters.

2. Despite his size advantage when he gets tackled he sometimes struggles to get his hands free to fire off handballs. This is a big part of the effectiveness that the best big bodied mids (Cripps, Bont, Green ect) are excellent at. Our very own Ben Cunnington was a master at it and it’s something that Smillie will have to improve if he is going to be that monster inside mid that everyone expects him to be!

On the positive side you can see his creativity, his kicking skill and his ability to cover the ground which is awesome for a kid his size/age.

That hand pass at 50 seconds was outrageous

Jonty Faull
Jobe Shanahan
Kayle Gerryn
Luke Trainor (defender at this stage)
Jack Whitlock
Matt Whitlock
Noah Mraz (defender at this stage)

Tyler Welsh will be up the pointy end too but he is tied to Adelaide so didn’t include him.

Everyone went the early crow and said that this will be a midfielders draft but I think it’s actually shaping up really good for talls as there are plenty of genuine athletic talls in that 194-199cM catetgory.

Wouldn't be against splitting our first pick and getting Faull/ Shanahan and Trainor if their form holds up.

Some bloke at the pub was telling me about them the other day. Said they’re almost his favourite band. They’re touring here later this year.
"Almost his favourite band" so he really likes them but not quite enough to like them above every other band.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A strong, near BOG performance from Murphy Reid in the season opener. Splitting his time between midfield and wing his combination of endurance, agility and foot skills were on prominent display.

The last 2 drafts I was all for getting the best available talent with our top picks.

Now that we have the likes of Sheeze, Warlord, McKercher and Duursma, I'd like to see us change to a needs based focus.

I feel we still need to address our key position stocks with quality top end talent to add to Will Dawson, Logue and Larkey to compliment our young midfield. I know we brought a number of guys in last year but we can't assume they're all going to "make it" or take us to a Premiership.

The last 2 drafts I was all for getting the best available talent with our top picks.

Now that we have the likes of Sheeze, Warlord, McKercher and Duursma, I'd like to see us change to a needs based focus.

I feel we still need to address our key position stocks with quality top end talent to add to Will Dawson, Logue and Larkey to compliment our young midfield. I know we brought a number of guys in last year but we can't assume they're all going to "make it" or take us to a Premiership.
Theory is good, reality is you have to pick the best players around your pick (or trade them out / down if need be - which is always a potential risk IMO)

Yeh at some point you can't keep saving up best available capital, you have to take a risk and start building a quality list.

It's frustrating that even if we had a fairytale year and pushed into finals, we simply don't have the KPP stocks to hold our ground once there.

We have nobody with the size to handle a big forward and nobody who can be a credible key forward besides Larkey unless Sellers takes to AFL like a Duck to water. (Pun int.)

Theory is good, reality is you have to pick the best players around your pick (or trade them out / down if need be - which is always a potential risk IMO)

Agreed but i'd still be prepared to split our first round pick if it meant we could get 2 first rounders that would secure the best available types of player's that we need.

For example, god forbid, we have pick 2 again, if we could split that into picks 9 and 10 and that would be enough for us to secure the likes of Shanahan & Trainor, then I'd prefer to do that then take another mid.

We know these KPP's take a few years so we need to get them in the club asap so they are ready to hit their straps when our young midfield is ready to reach its full potential.

Some bloke at the pub was telling me about them the other day. Said they’re almost his favourite band. They’re touring here later this year.
Really? A friend of mine saw them once and said they were really good, Johnny Marr played guitar for them. He played guitar for Paul Kelly, Stephen Cummings and the Rockwiz Orchestra so he is worth listening to.

I don't mind them. One of those obscure British bands George Wardlaw is probably into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back