Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no problem finishing bottom 2 for 1 more year if it is on the back of a 6 win season as a minimum and 20% improvement in percentage.

Anyone thinking we can push the 8 next year is delusional.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
I dont think we are any chance of getting near the top 8. Even if we improve to 6-8 wins it might still see us sitting at 16th. While improvement would be there we just wouldnt be moving up on the ladder too far. Id say that would be a win with some rose tinted glasses on.

I came across this on YT. Focus is primarily on Victorian prospects. Welsh is one that could have been ours if we had hung on to his father.

It's hard not to see a lot of Josh Kelly in O'Sullivan's game.

A lot of us have stressed all year that you take the best player available at the top of the draft, but if we're sitting here again in twelve months' time with a top-three pick and are talking about taking a 181cm midfielder, then that might just break me mentally. I'm sure in twelve months' time I can talk myself into the prospect of pairing Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher, and O'Sullivan together for a decade, but for now it's a grim thought.

Keighton Matofai-Forbes from the Jets will be a huge bolter this year.

Played at a hillside Juniors and won an under 16s and 18s flag in the same year in 2022 before moving to Keilor and playing seniors at 17 this under Mick McGuane and few games at the Jets before injury curled his year. Is fit and firing again at the start of pre season.

Solid boy, quick, agile, has a leap, tough and has the biggest left foot I've ever seen on a kid his age.

It is a bloody cannon of a leg.

Last edited:
Keighton Matofai-Forbes from the Jets will be a huge bolter this year.

Played at a hillside Juniors and won an under 16s and 18s flag in the same year in 2022 before moving to Keilor and playing seniors at 17 this under Mick McGuane and few games at the Jets before injury curled his year. Is fit and firing again at the start of pre season.

Solid boy, quick, agile, has a leap, tough and has the biggest left foot I've ever seen on a kid his age.

It is a bloody cannon of a leg.
Awesome name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we use the round one pick next year?
You know, that is the million dollar question? Right here, right now, there is no question that this will be one of the points to consider, but I do feel, while we do have some holes in our list, its not as bad as some people think. We, in the last 4 years have picked up some tantalizing talent to which a lot of clubs that didn't make the 8 would be envious, this point becomes very clear in with our de-listings over this period to all the young lads that have joined our great club either through the Draft or trade. Will Thursfield is in my opinion one of the best up and coming recruiters in the game and at 37 he is no doubt right up there with Jason Taylor, Simon Dalrymple and of coarse Stephen Wells though with Andrew Mackie taking over and with the Cats rebuilding, it will be interesting to see how he goes. Will and Brady as for 2024 Draft will have already identified players and as we know 12 months is a long time, will be watching their progress and seeing other players progress through the ranks. As I said in a previous post, the one word that is very important now is "STABILITY", yes we will bring in possibly 3 players next year in the Draft and just maybe 1 or 2 players through the Trade, depending what happens there, but the notion of "We need to get rid of another 8 / 10 players on our list" is not going to happen I feel. You can always find room in your side for Talented players, but not all players are stars, the role players are just as important even more so in the clubs eyes. We will have the option of using that pick if need be or use it with a future first to get a gun player to the club.

There’s talk Swans are offering him nearly 2 mil
The Swans won’t have a top 4 pick like us, and we can pay $1.5m with an increase in the cap and Melbourne isn’t as expensive for living costs as Sydney.Also, no relocation to a state who doesn’t give a f*ck about AFL.

The Swans won’t have a top 4 pick like us, and we can pay $1.5m with an increase in the cap and Melbourne isn’t as expensive for living costs as Sydney.Also, no relocation to a state who doesn’t give a f*ck about AFL.
We've already got one of the top forwards in the comp so I guess the question is whether we need to pay that much for another, and potentially have salary issues down the line with our young guns. Or go less money to chase Cadman to play next to Larkey.

Bb King Guitar GIF by HULU

We've already got one of the top forwards in the comp so I guess the question is whether we need to pay that much for another, and potentially have salary issues down the line with our young guns. Or go less money to chase Cadman to play next to Larkey.
Cadman imo will stay at GWS and isn’t proven. We need someone like JUH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back