Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Smillie should be a lock if he is available at our pick.

At 17 he is already 194cm and no doubt could hit 196cm.

An absolute beast of a midfielder.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
Agree - really the only mid we should be looking at - could be our Bont/Cripps.

Bb King Guitar GIF by HULU
The thrill has gone…?

I think I'd consider splitting the pick and get more volume inside 25. We could use one 1st to target a player but I doubt we're attracting a talent that demands a top 5 pick in a trade at this point in the build but you never know with Clarko. Still think we've got 20 players with some question marks as to whether they make it as AFL players or stay on the list to be honest.

I think I'd consider splitting the pick and get more volume inside 25. We could use one 1st to target a player but I doubt we're attracting a talent that demands a top 5 pick in a trade at this point in the build but you never know with Clarko. Still think we've got 20 players with some question marks as to whether they make it as AFL players or stay on the list to be honest.
King

You know, every man and his dog want's Ben King, on just about every board its the same thing, get King, now I know things change but the chances Ben King is going to leave Gold Coast is about the same as you winning cross-lotto two Saturdays in a row. Gold Coast are going to be a very good team and much like us, after going through lets just say bad times, I can see it changing quite quickly, he's not going anywhere. Other options include, J.U Hagan, the talents there but the money is way to much, considering in say 3/4 years a lot of our youngsters are going to be on a lot more money than there on now, so no! Mr Cadman up next, huge potential, can move very quickly and can take a grab, don't think he will leave but while the price is low, now is the time to do it, if he's not happy. Maybe a few more but a lad by the name of Kayle Gerreyn from West Perth, has got unbelievable potential in my opinion. He has played key forward and ruck and its key forward where I feel he will shine. He is not in anyone's top 20 although there might be someone that will have in there. If he plays to his potential next year, there will be 17 club recruiters keeping a very close eye on him. He still has to do it, but believe me its there.;)

You know, every man and his dog want's Ben King, on just about every board its the same thing, get King, now I know things change but the chances Ben King is going to leave Gold Coast is about the same as you winning cross-lotto two Saturdays in a row. Gold Coast are going to be a very good team and much like us, after going through lets just say bad times, I can see it changing quite quickly, he's not going anywhere. Other options include, J.U Hagan, the talents there but the money is way to much, considering in say 3/4 years a lot of our youngsters are going to be on a lot more money than there on now, so no! Mr Cadman up next, huge potential, can move very quickly and can take a grab, don't think he will leave but while the price is low, now is the time to do it, if he's not happy. Maybe a few more but a lad by the name of Kayle Gerreyn from West Perth, has got unbelievable potential in my opinion. He has played key forward and ruck and its key forward where I feel he will shine. He is not in anyone's top 20 although there might be someone that will have in there. If he plays to his potential next year, there will be 17 club recruiters keeping a very close eye on him. He still has to do it, but believe me its there.;)

There are a few different ways to look at it. I’d be less inclined to give up heaps to sign king anyway. Hopefully we can get a budget structural key forward to partner larkey (assuming Comben’s injuries prevent him from being that guy). I’m talking the forward equivalent of Logue.

And then draft at least 1 or 2 good young key forward over the next 2 drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB_IMG_1701245935969.jpg FB_IMG_1701245938742.jpg

Vic Country
Duursma
Rongdit
Hibbins-Hargrave
Scapin
Hicks
Onley

Vic Metro
Ludowyke
Dalton
Dovaston
Emmett
Greeves

Are all 2025 Draft

Last edited:
Oh hey. Didn't realise you had this up so quickly. I've been making a few 2024 prospect vids already:

Smile has a big year lots of clubs will be lining up for him. *ess would love a big bodied mid like him and for us he is a point of difference in our mid. Cripps/Bont type mid. We don’t need any more 180cm mids.

What's crazy is that from the best I can tell we have never had that many picks that high in the draft over a couple of years even though we've not even made a Grand Final for almost a quarter of a century. Little wonder we've struggled for quality over that period - the draft has been absolutely pillaged by high PP's, expansion clubs and academy / father son rorts for that entire time.

Explains partly why we've never managed to quite impact at the top and that's not even counting our own league trying to knife us in an alley or slowly strangle us to death. * the other clubs, * the league - I hope we win 5 in a row.

Since our last flag we’ve also burnt our fair share of first round picks.
Just of the top of my hand, names like Dylan Smith, D Motlop, David Trotter, Brett McKenzie, Taylor Garner, Hansen come to mind. Not to mention second rounders like Will Walker FFS

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back