Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
With the Champs games starting up today I figured it's time to get the annual thread going for the draft watchers keen to discuss prospects in one place.

With the Campo twins likely to eat up most of our draft picks we may be looking to trade ahead of Ben (the higher rated of the twins at the moment) or trade out of the draft into next year or even for a mature player from another club.

The draft itself is in my opinion a notch below 2023's on the high end talent front. Reid, Mckercher, Walter, Duursma, Wilson, Read, Sanders etc is an elite top tier that would be hard to beat in any year, but this year's draft looks to bat a bit deeper with many quality prospects in a midfield heavy pool.

Some notable names include:

Josh Smillie
Finn O'Sullivan (Sam Walsh's younger cousin)
Sid Draper
Isaac Kako
Ben Camporeale (Carlton F/S)
Lucas Camporeale (Carlton F/S)
Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
Christian Moraes
Taj Hotton
Luke Trainor
Leonardo Lombard (GCS Academy)
Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)

So as all us nuffies love to do... Comment on the Champs games as they unfold, discuss prospects who have caught your eye and even chat about potential trades and strategies leading up to the 2024 National Draft.

For those wanting to watch the Campo twins and others in action today!

My eye is on Sid Draper who presents as a tough and explosive midfielder for SA that's ultra competitive.

Doc is a far far better kick than Ben unfortunately. His contest work and decision making is great though

Yeah, I think Ben is an inside mid. Ball use not damaging enough for a primarily outside role at afl level. Racking it up despite being often played out of position to give other guys a go.

Lucas is a tough one to judge. Finds the ball. Decent ball use. But not sure what his weapon is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think Ben is an inside mid. Ball use not damaging enough for a primarily outside role at afl level. Racking it up despite being often played out of position to give other guys a go.

Lucas is a tough one to judge. Finds the ball. Decent ball use. But not sure what his weapon is.
Theres a lot of players in this draft that have me asking the same question. O'Sullivan would have to be the most vanilla potential number 1 prospect I've seen in many years. Good player don't get me wrong, but he doesn't seem to have any major weapons outside of just being a well rounded player.

Lombard and Jagga are the most exciting prospects to my eyes, Draper when he's healthy can turn it on too but seems to be coming from a long way back with his shin injury.

Pains me to say GCS have struck gold again with Lombard. Athletic freak and a damn good footballer too. Walter, Read, Rogers, Lombard, Graham all as free hits over 2 years is laughable for equalization.

Don’t mind GC or any club getting academy/FS talent, my issue is that the system doesn’t make you pay up for those players. Last year it was too easy to get in four first round prospects.

We will benefit getting the Campo boys on the cheap this year but it needs to change.

Idk what Campo was teaching the boys when they grew up but jeez they have some issues with their kicking. If Ben spent some time in a kicking academy he'd might be a top 10 prospect.

Idk what Campo was teaching the boys when they grew up but jeez they have some issues with their kicking. If Ben spent some time in a kicking academy he'd might be a top 10 prospect.

I haven’t seen today’s game but the other video footage I’ve seen of Ben his kicking is a huge red flag for me. Even his handball looks sub-par. Hate to knock the kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rate Ben a lot. Not a great kick but knows where the balls going and I felt like he spent a lot of time off the ground today

He would be a good pairing with Ollie on the wings long term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back