Prediction 2024 Positional Depth Charts

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2014
Donnybrook, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
OKC (NBA), Geelong (AFLW)
Another thread to kill some time in for those wanting to speculate on our strengths and weaknesses (per position) ahead of next season!

The following 'Depth Charts' are my stab at the player pecking order and how that will reflect/affect our Round 1 side.

Using the projected primary role for us in 2024, the charts indicate the Round 1 squad should be:

FB: Cole / Barrass / Hunt
HB: Yeo / McGovern / Duggan
C: Hewett / Ginbey / Gaff
HF: Maric / B.Williams / Darling
FF: Cripps / Allen / Ryan
R: Flynn, Kelly, Sheed
INT: Jones, Hough, Petrucelli, Brockman
EMG: Long, Chesser, L.Edwards, J.Waterman

(FYI, the squad is made up of the best 6 DEF, 5 MID, 6 FWD, 1 RUCK. Interchange is the next best DEF, FWD and 2x MID. Emergency is the next few that give off 'unlucky to miss' vibes)

Do you agree/disagree?
  • Are Chesser and Long unlucky to miss?
  • Does Maric add 8kg and overtake Darling? Does BBW fully transition to CHF?
  • Are our new rookies in Novembers draft straight into the 22?
  • Who's primary role is changing?
If there is consensus for moving a player UP/DOWN I'll edit this OP throughout the off-season.

DEFENDERS
Barrass, Tom1
McGovern, Jeremy2
Duggan, Liam3
Yeo, Elliot4
Hunt, Jayden5
Cole, Tom6
Jones, Jamaine7
Chesser, Campbell8
Witherden, Alex9
Rotham, Josh10
Bazzo, Rhett11
Edwards, Harry12
Dewar, Tyrell R13

MIDFIELD
Kelly, Tim1
Sheed, Dominic2
Ginbey, Reuben3
Hewett, Elijah4
Gaff, Andrew5
Petruccelli, Jack6
Hough, Brady7
Long, Noah8
Edwards, Luke9
Culley, Jai R10
Trew, Zane R11
Burgiel, Coby12
Baker, Jordyn R12

FOWARD
Allen, Oscar1
Williams, Bailey J.2
Cripps, Jamie3
Darling, Jack4
Ryan, Liam5
Maric, Ryan R6
Brockman, Tyler7
Waterman, Jake8
Williams, Jack9

RUCK
Flynn, Matthew1
Jamieson, Callum2
Barnett, Harry3

We need immediate replacements for

McGovern
Darling
Yeo
Sheed
Gaff

These 5 players in there prime are all irreplaceable.

Who on our list becomes these...and how long before they reach that level.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that lineup is too tall across half forward. I think Darling moves to CHF, Petrucelle and Long come into the flanks, B. Williams starts on the bench and Maric is an emergency.

Chesser is not unlucky to miss. He'll get a good opportunity to build through the WAFL. Maric doesn't overtake Darling and is behind a fully fit Waterman. Pick 1 is straight in pending position and fitness, probably starting on the bench in place of Jones. Only B.Williams' primary role would change, though Waterman would still be on the cusp in this team and would either have to back himself in, find a new opportunity or find new position. I still think he's an AFL-calibre forward though.

Edit: I'd take Jones over Sheed actually. We can't have Gaff and Sheed in the same lineup moving forward.

Last edited:
We need immediate replacements for

Sheed
Gaff

These
players in there prime are all irreplaceable.

Who on our list becomes these...and how long before they reach that level.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
laugh-lol.gif

I think that lineup is too tall across half forward. I think Darling moves to CHF, Petrucelle and Long come into the flanks, B. Williams starts on the bench and Maric is an emergency.

Chesser is not unlucky to miss. He'll get a good opportunity to build through the WAFL. Maric doesn't overtake Darling and is behind a fully fit Waterman. Pick 1 is straight in pending position and fitness, probably starting on the bench in place of Jones. Only B.Williams' primary role would change, though Waterman would still be on the cusp in this team and would either have to back himself in, find a new opportunity or find new position. I still think he's an AFL-calibre forward though.

Edit: I'd take Jones over Sheed actually. We can't have Gaff and Sheed in the same lineup moving forward.
Agree with most of what is said here. Speed to be one of our keys in 2024.

Side note I would be pretty happy (assuming we draft him) to play Harley Reid off the half back line, as North did we Sheezel this year. He showed his capabilities in that position in his bottom age year, and it is a nice introduction to senior footy. His skills and decision making could be a real weapon for us.

My attempt at Round 1 side, assuming we draft Reid and everyone is healthy.

FB - Cole Barrass Hough
CHB - Duggan McGovern Yeo
W - Hunt Ginbey Gaff
CHF - Long Darling Cripps
FF - Brockman Allen BWilliams
R - Flynn Kelly Hewett
INT - Reid, Sheed, Petrucelli, Jones
SUB - Chesser

Depth
Backs - Rotham, Bazzo, HEdwards, Witho, Burgeil, Baker
Mid - LEdwards, Culley,
Forward - Waterman, Maric, JWilliams, Dewar
Ruck - Jameson, Barnett

As mentioned in an earlier post our midfield depth is non existent. This may mean that Duggo has to play there, but ideally not. Has to be our major focus in the draft.

Side note I would be pretty happy (assuming we draft him) to play Harley Reid off the half back line, as North did we Sheezel this year. He showed his capabilities in that position in his bottom age year, and it is a nice introduction to senior footy. His skills and decision making could be a real weapon for us.

FB - Cole Barrass Hough
W - Hunt Ginbey Gaff
R - Flynn Kelly Hewett
SUB - Chesser

Depth
Mid - LEdwards, Culley,
Ruck - Jameson, Barnett

As mentioned in an earlier post our midfield depth is non existent. This may mean that Duggo has to play there, but ideally not. Has to be our major focus in the draft.
No Ryan?

nice one.

Burgeil i think will be def for at least the immediate future.
agree with splitting out the groups a bit more (small / tall def, inside / outside) or adding a tag.

FB - Cole Barrass Hough
W - Hunt Ginbey Gaff
R - Flynn Kelly Hewett
SUB - Chesser

Depth
Mid - LEdwards, Culley,
Ruck - Jameson, Barnett

Not sure Reid has the same foot skills as Sheezel. He is better in the contest. Half forward or the pocket would be a better spot for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to move some magnets and add our # 1 pick.
Barrybran I've made the HF smaller
omgfridge Long is IN
twce13 Patron have split the backs/fwds into key and small roles

Keys would be interested in your thoughts thus far with your training observations.

FB: Cole / Barrass / Hough
HB: Yeo / McGovern / Duggan
C: Hewett / Ginbey / Hunt
HF: Reid / Darling / Cripps
FF: Long / Allen / Ryan
R: Flynn, Kelly, Sheed
INT: Jones, Gaff, B.Williams, Petrucelli
EMG: Chesser, Waterman, Brockman, Bazzo

KEY DEFENDER
Barrass, Tom1
McGovern, Jeremy2
Bazzo, Rhett3
Rotham, Josh4
Edwards, Harry5

DEFENDER
Duggan, Liam1
Yeo, Elliot2
Hunt, Jayden3
Cole, Tom4
Hough, Brady5
Jones, Jamaine6
Witherden, Alex7
Baker, Jordyn (Rookie)8

MIDFIELD
Kelly, Tim1
Ginbey, Reuben2
Hewett, Elijah3
Sheed, Dominic4
Gaff, Andrew5
Chesser, Campbell6
Culley, Jai (Rookie)7
Edwards, Luke8
Burgiel, Coby9
Hall, Clay10
Trew, Zane (Rookie)11
Rawlinson, Loch (Rookie)12
Johnston, Havey13

KEY FORWARD
Allen, Oscar1
Darling, Jack2
Williams, Bailey J.3
Maric, Ryan (Rookie)4
Waterman, Jake5
Williams, Jack6
Reid, Archer7

FORWARD
Cripps, Jamie1
Ryan, Liam2
Reid, Harley3
Long, Noah4
Petruccelle, Jack5
Brockman, Tyler6
Dewar, Tyrell (Rookie-B)7

RUCK
Flynn, Matthew1
Jamieson, Callum2
Barnett, Harry3
Livingstone, Coen (Rookie-B)4

Frederico_WA

Nothing jumps off the page as being significantly out of place. From my observations (bearing in mind I’ve only attended 2 sessions so it’s a small sample size) I’d say the following

• Hewett hasn’t been training so he’s difficult to rank. Ditto Sheed
• Harley Reid hasn’t been doing anything forward of the ball - more mid or back half so far
• Duggan I suspect might be more mid than defender
• Burgiel is in the queue for defenders rather than a mid
• Rawlinson will be a small forward in 2024 rather than a mid
• It won’t be popular with some but from what I’ve seen Waterman is ahead of both Williams and Maric as a forward

I can see Gaff’s ranking coming under pressure during 2024

Last edited:
Frederico_WA

Nothing jumps off the page as being significantly out of place. From my observations (bearing in mind I’ve only attended 2 sessions so it’s a small sample size) I’d say the following

• Hewett hasn’t been training so he’s difficult to rank. Ditto Sheed
• Harley Reid hasn’t been doing anything forward of the ball - more mid or back half so far
• Duggan I suspect might be more mud than defender
• Burgiel is in the queue for defenders rather than a mid
• Rawlinson will be a small forward in 2024 rather than a mid
• It won’t be popular with some but from what I’ve seen Waterman is ahead of both Williams and Maric as a forward

I can see Gaff’s ranking coming under pressure during 2024
Cheers for that!
I'm looking forward to the match sims to see the lay of the land more clearly.

• I wonder if Reids time in the back half is to get him up to speed on defensive placements and requirements at AFL level?
  • It looked that way for Duggan last year didn't it. If he moves into the MID depth, then he's above Gaff/Sheed
  • Burgiels player profile certainly reads as a jack-of-all-trades. Am keen to see him on the park in 2024!
  • That is surprising re: Waterman. Hard to belive B.Will may not have a walk-up role after his massive growth this year. Maric is young, I'd see him as a Darling replacement in a year or two.
  • 2023 was the year Gaff should have been under pressure, but the injury list saved him. I'd hope for the sake of developing the young cohort he comes off the bench and plays some time in the twos.

Cheers for that!
I'm looking forward to the match sims to see the lay of the land more clearly.

• I wonder if Reids time in the back half is to get him up to speed on defensive placements and requirements at AFL level?
  • It looked that way for Duggan last year didn't it. If he moves into the MID depth, then he's above Gaff/Sheed
  • Burgiels player profile certainly reads as a jack-of-all-trades. Am keen to see him on the park in 2024!
  • That is surprising re: Waterman. Hard to belive B.Will may not have a walk-up role after his massive growth this year. Maric is young, I'd see him as a Darling replacement in a year or two.
  • 2023 was the year Gaff should have been under pressure, but the injury list saved him. I'd hope for the sake of developing the young cohort he comes off the bench and plays some time in the twos.
Williams had a great year but he's not a forward and shouldn't be playing ahead of Waterman as a forward

If you rearrange your side based on Keys' comments, your team probably looks something like this:

HB: Yeo / McGovern / Reid
C: Hewett / Duggan / Hunt
HF: Long / Darling / Cripps
FF: Waterman / Allen / Ryan
R: Flynn, Kelly, Ginbey
EMG: Chesser, Brockman, Bazzo, Sheed

Gaff OR Sheed, not Gaff AND Sheed. I would like to see Maric in there somewhere.

Williams had a great year but he's not a forward and shouldn't be playing ahead of Waterman as a forward

If you rearrange your side based on Keys' comments, your team probably looks something like this:

HB: Yeo / McGovern / Reid
C: Hewett / Duggan / Hunt
HF: Long / Darling / Cripps
FF: Waterman / Allen / Ryan
R: Flynn, Kelly, Ginbey
EMG: Chesser, Brockman, Bazzo, Sheed

Gaff OR Sheed, not Gaff AND Sheed. I would like to see Maric in there somewhere.
Don't mind how that looks.

Where did the 2023 BW commentary re: him playing out of position in ruck (coz he's a KPF) come from?
If what Keys hints at comes to fruition (Waterman IN) then we won't need BW unless for cover. 6th in the Worsfold medal to out of the side. Ouch. May light a fire under him to go hard at Flynn for #1 ruck.

Your choice of Gaff over Sheed is tough but probably the right one. Sheed lost a few tickets last year. Was not an on field leader, whereas Gaff never gave up despite all the negative outside attention he had all year.

Don't mind how that looks.

Where did the 2023 BW commentary re: him playing out of position in ruck (coz he's a KPF) come from?
If what Keys hints at comes to fruition (Waterman IN) then we won't need BW unless for cover. 6th in the Worsfold medal to out of the side. Ouch. May light a fire under him to go hard at Flynn for #1 ruck.

Your choice of Gaff over Sheed is tough but probably the right one. Sheed lost a few tickets last year. Was not an on field leader, whereas Gaff never gave up despite all the negative outside attention he had all year.
On the other hand, Sheed had a bad injury and a stuttering return due to more injuries. He also makes more attacking positions and is a damaging kick. Gaff, as you say, gives his all but even this is not particularly inspiring. A comparison has him at similar pace as Sheed but far less damaging with his disposals. In fact they are so bad he cannot make the distance of a goal kick beyond about 30 metres. I agree it can only be one or the other and unless Sheed gets back to full fitness it is likely to be Gaff. Let's face it though, on form, neither are knocking the door down and it is only their experience keeping them in the team given we have so many youngsters. I do wonder though if Gaff actually acts as a mentor as in my view his game is very self centred as an accumulator by providing short options for kicks and handballs.

On the other hand, Sheed had a bad injury and a stuttering return due to more injuries. He also makes more attacking positions and is a damaging kick. Gaff, as you say, gives his all but even this is not particularly inspiring. A comparison has him at similar pace as Sheed but far less damaging with his disposals. In fact they are so bad he cannot make the distance of a goal kick beyond about 30 metres. I agree it can only be one or the other and unless Sheed gets back to full fitness it is likely to be Gaff. Let's face it though, on form, neither are knocking the door down and it is only their experience keeping them in the team given we have so many youngsters. I do wonder though if Gaff actually acts as a mentor as in my view his game is very self centred as an accumulator by providing short options for kicks and handballs.

Fair points. I had a quick look at data on AFL.com that confirms what we all know re: Gaff trending down. Sheed played 15 games in 2023 and despite a couple injuries managed to tread water statistically.

Neither of them were effective.
Clangers: Sheed 4.2 / Gaff 2.1
Disp. efficiency: 69% (below avg) / 74% (above avg)
Kick efficiency: 61% (avg) / 56% (below avg)

Gaff had 1.8 more handballs than kicks in 2023. He was on par in 2022, but before that his kick numbers were far ahead.

What I really want to see is the Telstra Tracker data. I can't find it anywhere. Would be handy to know top speeds, distance covered, time at top quadrant etc.

1702517250092.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back