Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Holmes and Stengle as well
The development over the next few years will be a real watch - If anyone can remember the 2002/03/04 discussions when Geelong and St Kilda were both coming through the ranks, there was much discussion about "who had the better kids and which team would ultimately be successful" - The general consensus by the experts was that Geelong had an even spread of talent but no "stars" - Geelongs only real star was a backman by the name of Scarlett
Fast forward 3-4 years and out of that even spread of talent (but no stars) come 2 brownlow medalists, 3 norm Smith medalists and multiple triple premiership players.
Not saying that will repeat - but I think our younger talent is much better than the general consensus of the media - simply because we dont (or ever had) access to the top 5/6 picks. Our player development will be critical during this phase (as Brendan McCartney was all those years back)
I have something of a gut feel that Wiltshire, Humphries and Edwards will be more than handy as well
I still remember the article from 2003 in one of the major newspapers that was set 6 years in the future and was about Grant Thomas reflecting on the second flag his saints team had just won.

I remember in 2004 everyone telling me Saints would get a flag before us... then the same in 2005... then that the Geelong bubble had burst end of 2006 and we would be a 10th to 14th placed team in 2007... then how it was the Saints time in 2009...

No wonder Saints fans really hate our club. They were conditioned to believe that they were going to get a dynasty and the best result they got in that time was 2 PF wins and a GF draw...

Kids I’m excited about (in no particular order):

Holmes
O. Henry
Clark
SDK
Conway
Dempsey
Bruhn
COS

Kids I believe in but not 100% convinced:

Mullin
Neale

Kids I think are overrated on this board and would be surprised to see make it:

Knevitt
Clohesy

Too early to tell you include last years draft batch (except COS, willing to call him out as a future gun!)

Kids I’m excited about (in no particular order):

Holmes
O. Henry
Clark
SDK
Conway
Dempsey
Bruhn
COS

Kids I believe in but not 100% convinced:

Mullin
Neale

Kids I think are overrated on this board and would be surprised to see make it:

Knevitt
Clohesy

Too early to tell you include last years draft batch (except COS, willing to call him out as a future gun!)

Good call strauchnyy: 100% agree with all 'excited about' as they'll all make excellent long term AFL players barring serious injury. Holmes, Clark, SDK, Conway, Dempsey, Bruhn and COS, love them all..... changed my mind strauchnyy: not good but great call !!!

With Mullin I think the club is presently just going about it the wrong way with him, everything he's currently doing is ultra conservative and is stunting his development, even with his kicking I know to be certain he can be a lot better. There was one kick in the AFL not VFL (maybe his very first game?) where tried to kick a 45 metre pass into the forward-line which travelled impressively at 'speed' with the football not going more than 3 metres off ground, it was 'such a great kick' which was in direct contrast on the weekend when he had a shot for goal and kicked under it, meaning the trajectory of ball was always just going up in the air, which it did and he made a meal out of it.

But I do agree with many astute members here on Geelong Big Footy to just put him (Mullin) on the ball in VFL to free him up and let him try to beat the best on-ballers of the opposition but NOT TAG, in other words let him have a real attacking MINDSET to go out to improve and develop his game against the best VFL opposition on-ballers and by doing so, it will give us a better gauge as to whether he can be long-term prospect for us as he has many of the physical tools to make it. The most disappointing aspect from my point of view with Mullin is that in his home country of Ireland with Gaelic Football, all he wanted to do was attack from the back half, it was so inherently a part of who he was, which gave me great hope but currently we are seeing none of that, hence he has stagnated but I'll still BELIEVE and HOPE he'll make it.

With Neale he's a real tease, incredible physic and athlete, looks a real player but just cannot finish his work off by dropping marks that he should be taking but there are other aspects of his game where he can improve rapidly if he so desires given he is still only a very young key position player and as we all know they can take time, so again like Mullin he's still a real chance and if the penny drops he could still be a player.

Knevitt could almost be 'believe' as he did make good progression but seems to have stagnated, so he sits 50/50 with me at present, so not making it wouldn't overly surprise but if he does make it that wouldn't overly surprise either, so let's hope he does kick-on and Clohesy with the little of seen of him although tough at contest, appears limited.

Last edited:
Technically still preseason for us which means puff pieces are still flowing.

Head of Development, Nigel Lappin, provides an update about each of our young brigade

Ollie Henry​

“… as we saw last year, a very smart decision maker. His ability to be able to recognise opportunities to get forward, get dangerous and then when he gets his chances to be able to mark the ball as well as he does, his finishing skills have been very, very impressive for us.”

Ollie Dempsey​

“He’s just been someone who’s just got better with every week that he’s spent at the footy club. He’s built out a really good frame now to be able to sustain what it means to be an AFL Footballer. Unbelievably high work rate, gets from contest to contest, understands his role really well…just those little finishing touches, the things that he can do that not many others can, that’s going to excite fans for a long time…”

Shannon Neale​

“He’s pretty young still, as a key position player and we know they take time. But he’s been really promising in the early games. He understands the system really well and complements the other guys around him and we hope we continues to emerge and knocks down the doors this year.”

Oli Wiltshire​

“He reads the game really early, gets himself to dangerous spots an has been very smart. He’s come in, understands the systems and structures and pretty much got them down pat in the first couple of weeks.”

Ted Clohesy​

“He’s just the epitome of what we want to stand for as an academy group, but also as a footy club. He values all the right things and it’s a credit to him, he’ll continue to develop because he just puts the work in and is as honest as the day is long.”

George Stevens​

“He gets from contest to contest pretty well. His stoppage craft is very good for an 18 year old, but it’s only going to get better. And he combined really well with the other guys that were in their on the weekend.”

Mitch Hardie and Mitch Knevitt​

“They’ve played enough footy now, that they’re starting to build some really good chemistry in and around the stoppages there. Their patterns and the systems they play away from the ball have really helped the VFL play really well in the first couple of weeks...”

James Willis​

“…the most impressive thing about him, he’s just just rocked up everyday with a great day with a great attitude. Attitude to get to work and prove his body. We know he’s got the footy talent and he’s very good inside mid, with lots of power and good ball use.”

Oscar Murdoch​

“He’s had a few injury niggles last year and he’s had a pretty good pre season. He’s just someone that you can just put on one of the oppositions best players and he’s hard to play on. He gets to work on them, and makes it a really difficult day for them..

Jhye Clark​

“What you see from Jhye is what you get. He’s an every time competitor. Probably enjoys winning the contest more than anything, but if he’s not doing that, the thing he enjoys the next most is his ability to be able to win the ball back off the opposition, and that was really evident the other night.”

Lawson Humphries​

“He brings calmness to our academy group.. he’s got a really calming influence on the group and other people. And you see that with the way he plays… he’s a really good decision maker with ball in hand.”

Emerson Jeka​

“He’s come in and had a strong pre season, didn’t miss too much and he’s slotted in really well. His ability to be able to contest really strongly in the air and provide a fair bit of drive, he loves getting the ball in his hand and loves using it well.”

Oisin Mullin​

“He’s got some unique abilities. His ability to shut down some of the opposition’s best players, and not just their best players, their fastest ones. And then his want and will to join into the game again.”

Connor O’Sullivan (on his experience playing against Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow)​

“Fantastic experience for him. He doesn’t get overawed by that and sees that as an opportunity for growth and as a challenge that he’s willing to take on.”

Joe Furphy​

“He’s a big man Joey… he’s put a lot of work into learning the nuances and the craft of the game and we’re excited about what he can deliver.”

Phoenix Foster​

“We’re looking forward to him getting out there and putting his best foot forward, he’s developed a lot over his 12 months that he’s been here.”

Mitch Edwards​

"He’s going to develop into a really big, strong ruckman. He loves the parts of that game that you want ruckman to love, the aerial contest, he loves hunting the ball.. when he gets the ball in his hands, he’s a really good ball user.”

Head of Development, Nigel Lappin, provides an update about each of our young brigade

Ollie Henry​

“… as we saw last year, a very smart decision maker. His ability to be able to recognise opportunities to get forward, get dangerous and then when he gets his chances to be able to mark the ball as well as he does, his finishing skills have been very, very impressive for us.”

Ollie Dempsey​

“He’s just been someone who’s just got better with every week that he’s spent at the footy club. He’s built out a really good frame now to be able to sustain what it means to be an AFL Footballer. Unbelievably high work rate, gets from contest to contest, understands his role really well…just those little finishing touches, the things that he can do that not many others can, that’s going to excite fans for a long time…”

Shannon Neale​

“He’s pretty young still, as a key position player and we know they take time. But he’s been really promising in the early games. He understands the system really well and complements the other guys around him and we hope we continues to emerge and knocks down the doors this year.”

Oli Wiltshire​

“He reads the game really early, gets himself to dangerous spots an has been very smart. He’s come in, understands the systems and structures and pretty much got them down pat in the first couple of weeks.”

Ted Clohesy​

“He’s just the epitome of what we want to stand for as an academy group, but also as a footy club. He values all the right things and it’s a credit to him, he’ll continue to develop because he just puts the work in and is as honest as the day is long.”

George Stevens​

“He gets from contest to contest pretty well. His stoppage craft is very good for an 18 year old, but it’s only going to get better. And he combined really well with the other guys that were in their on the weekend.”

“They’ve played enough footy now, that they’re starting to build some really good chemistry in and around the stoppages there. Their patterns and the systems they play away from the ball have really helped the VFL play really well in the first couple of weeks...”

James Willis​

“…the most impressive thing about him, he’s just just rocked up everyday with a great day with a great attitude. Attitude to get to work and prove his body. We know he’s got the footy talent and he’s very good inside mid, with lots of power and good ball use.”

Oscar Murdoch​

“He’s had a few injury niggles last year and he’s had a pretty good pre season. He’s just someone that you can just put on one of the oppositions best players and he’s hard to play on. He gets to work on them, and makes it a really difficult day for them..

Jhye Clark​

“What you see from Jhye is what you get. He’s an every time competitor. Probably enjoys winning the contest more than anything, but if he’s not doing that, the thing he enjoys the next most is his ability to be able to win the ball back off the opposition, and that was really evident the other night.”

Lawson Humphries​

“He brings calmness to our academy group.. he’s got a really calming influence on the group and other people. And you see that with the way he plays… he’s a really good decision maker with ball in hand.”

Emerson Jeka​

“He’s come in and had a strong pre season, didn’t miss too much and he’s slotted in really well. His ability to be able to contest really strongly in the air and provide a fair bit of drive, he loves getting the ball in his hand and loves using it well.”

Oisin Mullin​

“He’s got some unique abilities. His ability to shut down some of the opposition’s best players, and not just their best players, their fastest ones. And then his want and will to join into the game again.”

Connor O’Sullivan (on his experience playing against Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow)​

“Fantastic experience for him. He doesn’t get overawed by that and sees that as an opportunity for growth and as a challenge that he’s willing to take on.”

Joe Furphy​

“He’s a big man Joey… he’s put a lot of work into learning the nuances and the craft of the game and we’re excited about what he can deliver.”

Phoenix Foster​

“We’re looking forward to him getting out there and putting his best foot forward, he’s developed a lot over his 12 months that he’s been here.”

Mitch Edwards​

"He’s going to develop into a really big, strong ruckman. He loves the parts of that game that you want ruckman to love, the aerial contest, he loves hunting the ball.. when he gets the ball in his hands, he’s a really good ball user.”
Puff piece for sure - but I found it very interesting (and appreciated you typing the quotes so I didn’t have to re-listen!). Hard not to try and read stuff into subtle word changes from Nigel but reinforced to me that Ollie Dempsey has moved ahead of the rest of that cohort (obviously Henry already established) in terms of finding a role in the best 23 - and Clark…

The rest of them he was focussed on development language and giving them time and impact on VFL etc.. Many will get opportunities as spots open up with injuries but reckon Dempsey and Clark are the only ones currently in that mix for regular spots (And both of them still have to contend with Rohan and Guthrie pecking order when fit).

Didn’t ask about Conway - assume just an oversight?

Can anyone explain the new ruck rule they spoke about on MMM last night? Apparently Grundy used it to great effect against Gawn
Think it just allows a player to block the space of an opponent in a ruck contest providing it's done with a straight arm. Previously that would have been penalised for denying the opponent space to contest.

Can anyone explain the new ruck rule they spoke about on MMM last night? Apparently Grundy used it to great effect against Gawn
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing our guys were doing last year ie cross the centre circle line and move up straight away to stop the opposing ruck getting a run and jump at the ball.

I remember the opposition fans having a fair old whine on the main board about it when Stanley copped a knee from Carlton's De Koning and a week later Blicavs from Meek about it being unfair or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to highlight cadmans game tonight against Coll... 2 goals a few marks and a dozen touches.. That is exactly what neale should be doing when he gets his chance.
Sure, but also, Cadman was pick 1

When you walk thru AFL doors everyone is equal. No matter who you are the expectations to play at AFL level and keep your spot should always be the same.

Unless you are stating that neale is less talented than cadman and doesnt have a high cieling as your point
Yes but some walk through that door carrying more tools at the time

Ollie Henry​

Ollie Dempsey​

Shannon Neale​

Oli Wiltshire​

Ted Clohesy​

George Stevens​

James Willis​

Oscar Murdoch​

Jhye Clark​

Lawson Humphries​

Emerson Jeka​

Oisin Mullin​

Joe Furphy​

Phoenix Foster​

Mitch Edwards​

These exercises are always very amusing. It’s like the interviewee grapples with how to give just enough without giving anything of substance away and at the same time not destroying the hopes of a young kid with faint praise or subtle damnation.

These exercises are always very amusing. It’s like the interviewee grapples with how to give just enough without giving anything of substance away and at the same time not destroying the hopes of a young kid with faint praise or subtle damnation.
Not that the format did him any favours but it’s amazing how a guy who has been in the AFL for nearly 30 years, as a star player and then assistant coach in two dynastic teams, can remain so visibly uncomfortable on camera.

That said, I do think some of the vocabulary he used is interesting. ‘Playing the game for the right reasons’ an interesting that to repeatedly say.

When you walk thru AFL doors everyone is equal. No matter who you are the expectations to play at AFL level and keep your spot should always be the same.

Unless you are stating that neale is less talented than cadman and doesnt have a high cieling as your point
Terrible take. Cadman was clearly seen as a player further along his development and a more ‘known’ quantity than Neale. Shouldn’t have to explain to people that players develop at different rates and expectations are different. Otherwise we might as well delist every player that doesn’t play like Selwood from the beginning.

Neale was a ruckman in his draft year. The comparison to Cadman makes no sense.
Will he get games for us as a ruck, or tall KF that can pinch ruck? If the latter, the Cadman comparison is very apt

Neale was a ruckman in his draft year. The comparison to Cadman makes no sense.
Poor excuses. Neale spent time as a forward as a junior and has been training as a forward at AFL level now for four years.

He needs to deliver and perform. Geelong doesnt drop its standards with keeping list spots saying
“ oh well he was a pick un the 30’s, we will keep him on the list with low expectations
“ oh he played as a ruck in juniors, give him until his 25yo and 7 seasons to become AFL standard”.

We are a high standard profesional football club, not a kindergarden.

Terrible take. Cadman was clearly seen as a player further along his development and a more ‘known’ quantity than Neale. Shouldn’t have to explain to people that players develop at different rates and expectations are different. Otherwise we might as well delist every player that doesn’t play like Selwood from the beginning.
We arent talking about a player who has just walked through the doors we are talking about a player entering his fourth season of AFL football.

If you think expecting a key forward to kick 1-2 goals a game and 10-12 touches is a terrible take then i think as a club fanbase something is rotten with our standards or we are just getting defensive of certain fan favourites.

I will also ask you this: to be selected in the b22 do you have different standards based on draft selection?? Or do you base it on performance and meritt?? Because what you are saying is you base it on draft pick instead of meritt.

Ollie Henry​

Ollie Dempsey​

Shannon Neale​

Oli Wiltshire​

Ted Clohesy​

George Stevens​

James Willis​

Oscar Murdoch​

Jhye Clark​

Lawson Humphries​

Emerson Jeka​

Oisin Mullin​

Joe Furphy​

Phoenix Foster​

Mitch Edwards​

Interesting comments. Digging through the endlessly positive comments the most interesting things were:

Ollie Dempsey is gonna play AFL.
Shannon Neale hasn't "knocked the doors down" yet.
The club loves Ted Clohesy. Expect him to be kept on the list for longer just cause of his attitude.
Willis "we know he's got the footy talent". Expect him to get a debut if he can string some form together at VFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back