Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did see Rohan jogging slow laps initially
And Guth and Furphy doing drills, strides, exercises with the physios and training staff along the Hickey Stand wing, I completely missed Bowes if he did join them along there.

Also if Foster ever gets a crack and makes it he will be very watchable, is an absolute peacock. Big unit, trained with a glove on and just has a real natural strut and attitude about him.

Lovely set shot as well when he was taking shots at the end

Also if Foster ever gets a crack and makes it he will be very watchable, is an absolute peacock. Big unit, trained with a glove on and just has a real natural strut and attitude about him.

Lovely set shot as well when he was taking shots at the end

Remember his first VFL game he smashed them (Coburg maybe) in the first quarter. Carey like domination.

He had a set shot from near the boundary late in the quarter and clearly the crowd were into him. Gave it back to them in the celebration as the ball was about to go through the big sticks. But a late gust of wind pushed it into the post:tearsofjoy:

My boy Lawson actually did my head in... He was alternating left and right foot at one point... And when they did some dribble kicks at goal he went on his left, then later his right.. No idea what his natural foot is.

I did see Bowes at the start involved in some drills but the groups were rotating and I must admit I didn't notice him away from anyone else
Looks a high skill type of player Lawson, and with reasonable pace. I don't know much about him, but I would like to know more about his game reading, tenacity, and overall work-rate. If they are all ticks, then we might have a player indeed. Skill won't be the issue.

Looks a high skill type of player Lawson, and with reasonable pace. I don't know much about him, but I would like to know more about his game reading, tenacity, and overall work-rate. If they are all ticks, then we might have a player indeed. Skill won't be the issue.
A coach in the NFL Mike Tomlin made a great point in the approach to drafting in that respect.

"Give me a kid who's got tangible assets like pace and skills, and I'll coach him the rest of the way. That's my job"

There's of course exceptions. If you're lazy or just can't seem to listen to constructive criticism, you're not going to go far.

But if you've got the right attitude, and the requisite assets, coaching will take you the rest of the way, and we've got some of the best in the league.

I'm excited by Lawson. It might not be this year, but I reckon we'll have a player in a year or two once we can integrate his skills into the Geelong system.

Really interesting answer from CS on 360 about younger players:

"From our team a couple of years ago we've had some really highly credentialed players go out. Selwood as an inside mid. Smith as a winger. And they've really been replaced by Jhye Clark, Max Holmes, Tanner Bruhn...

We have got some young players we think can move the needle. They're not gonna come in and play a bit part role. They're gonna go into the middle. Tanner Bruhn's gonna be an inside mid for us. Jhye Clark's gonna be the same. Max Holmes is gonna become a critical player for us really quickly in my view.

Also you get some young players that come in and take their time a little bit. That's to be expected especially with key position players but you never know unless you get them in there and our plan is to get them in there."

So lock in Clark for round 1 and likely the whole year. And is the last bit referring to Neale? Or Conway? It could only really be those 2 I think.

Last edited:

"From our team a couple of years ago we've had some really highly credentialed players go out. Selwood as an inside mid. Smith as a winger. And they've really been replaced by Jhye Clark, Max Holmes, Tanner Bruhn...

We have got some young players we think can move the needle. They're not gonna come in and play a bit part role. They're gonna go into the middle. Tanner Bruhn's gonna be an inside mid for us. Jhye Clark's gonna be the same. Max Holmes is gonna become a critical player for us really quickly in my view.

Also you get some young players that come in and take their time a little bit. That's to be expected especially with key position players but you never know unless you get them in there and our plan is to get them in there."

So lock in Clark for round 1 and likely the whole year. And is the last bit referring to Neale? Or Conway? It could only really be those 2 I think.
I'd throw COS in there too. Scott loves him, and you can never underestimate the power of a Chris Scott man-crush.

Could be all three of them though to be honest. We'll be rotating the squad, particularly up until June or so when the season gets serious.

I'd throw COS in there too. Scott loves him, and you can never underestimate the power of a Chris Scott man-crush.

Could be all three of them though to be honest. We'll be rotating the squad, particularly up until June or so when the season gets serious.

COS doesn't fit with the young players taking time though. That's why Neale was the obvious one and maybe Conway.

You're right about rotating the squad but this sounded more immediate and more best 22 than just getting Neale a few games at some point.

Reckon he's definitely referring to Conway and Neale, as they've both followed a similar trajectory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it that Hawkins, Blicavs and to a lesser extent Stanley, can still operate to such a high standard and allow these tall kp kids some valuable time working on their trade in the VFL.

I picked up on that Key Position comment as well and immediately assumed Neale.. Also seems clear that Clark is playing as well

Inside mids aside where don't really have much of a choice, the rest of our lines are just stacked with quality oldies. We'd have to overlook quality to feed games.

We still own our 1st and 2nd pick. I wonder if the board MC and List management are together to see through the next three years together.

The way he's talking, it does make you wonder that if we're good enough to have success this year, it could be the beginning of a new era.

Sounds like all of Bruhn, Clark & Holmes will be playing every game they're fit for, while SDK & Henry are already in the side. Dempsey, Neale, Knevitt Conway, & COS will no doubt play a decent chunk of games too.

Stengle, Close, Miers, Zuthrie & Jack Henry are still young-ish as well.

The point being that if 2024 is to be a success, you'd think it would have to be off the back of those names for the most part, and that's exciting for us.

It would mean that we're looking at a new 5-10 year window with this group, and the subsequent players who will be added over the next few years.

Certainly a welcome change from the 'flag or bust' syndrome we've had to endure for much of the last decade, whether that was true or not, it was certainly how we were advertised.

The way he's talking, it does make you wonder that if we're good enough to have success this year, it could be the beginning of a new era.

Sounds like all of Bruhn, Clark & Holmes will be playing every game they're fit for, while SDK & Henry are already in the side. Dempsey, Neale, Knevitt Conway, & COS will no doubt play a decent chunk of games too.

Stengle, Close, Miers, Zuthrie & Jack Henry are still young-ish as well.

The point being that if 2024 is to be a success, you'd think it would have to be off the back of those names for the most part, and that's exciting for us.

It would mean that we're looking at a new 5-10 year window with this group, and the subsequent players who will be added over the next few years.

Certainly a welcome change from the 'flag or bust' syndrome we've had to endure for much of the last decade, whether that was true or not, it was certainly how we were advertised.

The thing is, successful or not, it's the beginning of a new era.

And every year, whether acknowledged or not, is flag or bust

Great job mate.

Honestly, what I take from this is that Phoenix, Oscar and probably Hardie and Parfitt, are all likely on their last legs at KP.

Tough business, but wouldn't surprise to see those 4 go, and then Stanley, Rohan, Tuohy and Hawk finish up too. Maybe even Bews as well. Reckon Ted and James get new contracts.

Either way, gonna be a big turnover this off season me thinks.

Parfitt is obviously gone.
Hardie due to age is in trouble.
Murdoch is an easy one to predict as a rookie in 2nd year.
Ditto foster as a late pick.
Jeka probably needs to perform too.

One or two of those guys might get 1 more year if we dont want to turn over 10 + players in one year but most are in trouble.

Parfitt is obviously gone.
Hardie due to age is in trouble.
Murdoch is an easy one to predict as a rookie in 2nd year.
Ditto foster as a late pick.
Jeka probably needs to perform too.

One or two of those guys might get 1 more year if we dont want to turn over 10 + players in one year but most are in trouble.

Foster and Jeka for me. Jeka has played one decent game as a defender, which is well more than anyone else we'd rookie. Foster has something about him too, he's long odds but worth one more year.

The other three I won't lose sleep over. Maybe Murdoch just as a decent sized left footer but even then

Back from open training.

The stadium looks absolutely top notch and is something to be proud of for sure.

Semi noteworthy things considering it was just an easy open to the public sesh.

*Bowes not with main group 😬

* Ollie Henry is totally fine.

* Rohan not suited up at all (miles off).

* Guthrie jogging very slowly in background.

* Holmes/Duncan training with backs (MOC + Touhy not with backs).

* Lawson Humphries looks as if he could be a left or right footer.

* Willis actually is training before the start of the season (unheard of).

Neale spent zero time from what I could see training with rucks Conway and Stanley and was with the forward group (no surprise).

Were moc and tuohy training with the mids or were they training with the vfl/reserves team?

Clark is going to be best 23 from that comment clearly (which surprises no one) and dempsey might be too.

The big guys thing has to be a reference as to how much they rate conway but his path will take time (especially his body).

Inside mids aside where don't really have much of a choice, the rest of our lines are just stacked with quality oldies. We'd have to overlook quality to feed games...

You say that but one has to juggle the magnets to get all of Clark, Bruhn, and Bowes into the same side, and it's difficult based on observed form to imagine any of them being left out.

Inside mids aside where don't really have much of a choice, the rest of our lines are just stacked with quality oldies. We'd have to overlook quality to feed games...

You say that but one has to juggle the magnets to get all of Clark, Bruhn, and Bowes into the same side, and it's difficult based on observed form to imagine any of them being left out.

You know what has struck me all of a sudden….it is not impossible that Atkins becomes fringe MF once Guthrie is back fit? If Clark and Bruhn improve like we expect/hope then those 3 with Danger will be the 4 main MF picked I reckon and I also think Bowes might surprise us all in terms of what he adds (composure offensively which we will need).

Atkins feels a like like Bruhn and Clark in terms of attack on the ball and not sure all 3 fit in a balanced MF? I feel silly even typing it though as I had Atkins down as a possible captain - and still can’t imagine him as anything other than best 22

Interested in peoples thoughts - am I being sacrilegious even asking the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back