Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, successful or not, it's the beginning of a new era.

And every year, whether acknowledged or not, is flag or bust
Sure, but when it's driven by youth, there's at least some merit in the "we'll be better next year" or "we'll be better in 3 years" lines of thinking.

When you don't have that, and your veterans are already at the peak of their powers, you don't really get that luxury, and you have to pay big in the trade period to really believe you're going to improve.

2023 didn't bring the success we were after, but with the trade period over, the draft on the horizon and players returning to training, time to kick off this thread again

We've got dedicated thread for discussion of all things pre-season - open training sessions, reports, rumours, who's about to break out year and even the dreaded 'I' word, etc

Be it photos, insights, predictions or whatever else relates to the pre-season, have at it

And to start off our pre-season, today we welcomed back 1st - 4th year players, and Blicavs

#wearegeelong

You know what has struck me all of a sudden….it is not impossible that Atkins becomes fringe MF once Guthrie is back fit? If Clark and Bruhn improve like we expect/hope then those 3 with Danger will be the 4 main MF picked I reckon and I also think Bowes might surprise us all in terms of what he adds (composure offensively which we will need).

Atkins feels a like like Bruhn and Clark in terms of attack on the ball and not sure all 3 fit in a balanced MF? I feel silly even typing it though as I had Atkins down as a possible captain - and still can’t imagine him as anything other than best 22

Interested in peoples thoughts - am I being sacrilegious even asking the question?
Those kids have higher upside but Atkins has consistency. Don't see them pushing them out for 2 years, and at that point Atkins is 30 and might be better played in a different position anyway.

Atkins could slot straight into the back pocket.
Yeah worst case (best case?) Atkins goes to his role from 2021 in the back line.

Realistically if Clark and Bruhn go past Atkins as midfielders they've come on an absolute mile. We would look at moving Blicavs out to a wing and rotating Guthrie off a back flank at times. Holmes can play more wing.

Players like Bews, Tuohy, O'Connor and even Kolo would be most at risk from some of our better midfielders moving out to different roles. But this would be an absolute dream scenario and is incredibly unlikely.

Those kids have higher upside but Atkins has consistency. Don't see them pushing them out for 2 years, and at that point Atkins is 30 and might be better played in a different position anyway.

If all can remain fit, it will be a fantastic problem to have in July and August.

Additionally, as you point out we may not get the consistency yet from the younger guys. So exposed form is going to be a shifting measure as the season progresses. What ever happens its going to be an interesting year. I just hope its fun and interesting.

Yeah worst case (best case?) Atkins goes to his role from 2021 in the back line.

Realistically if Clark and Bruhn go past Atkins as midfielders they've come on an absolute mile. We would look at moving Blicavs out to a wing and rotating Guthrie off a back flank at times. Holmes can play more wing.

Players like Bews, Tuohy, O'Connor and even Kolo would be most at risk from some of our better midfielders moving out to different roles. But this would be an absolute dream scenario and is incredibly unlikely.

Can't remember who said it yesterday but I'll quote "Manifestation is real people"

It will be interesting how Atkins goes this year. With Guthrie out his importance is huge.

You just have to respect a guy who plays his best football when his sides really needs him and contest is at his fiercest.

But we need him to do the week to week 4-quarter grind this year as well (especially until Guthrie is back).

I don’t think Bruhn or Clark are at his level yet, though would agree they are similar types, particularly Clark.

You know what has struck me all of a sudden….it is not impossible that Atkins becomes fringe MF once Guthrie is back fit? If Clark and Bruhn improve like we expect/hope then those 3 with Danger will be the 4 main MF picked I reckon and I also think Bowes might surprise us all in terms of what he adds (composure offensively which we will need).

Atkins feels a like like Bruhn and Clark in terms of attack on the ball and not sure all 3 fit in a balanced MF? I feel silly even typing it though as I had Atkins down as a possible captain - and still can’t imagine him as anything other than best 22

Interested in peoples thoughts - am I being sacrilegious even asking the question?
Atkins could slot straight into the back pocket.
Atkins was great as a rebounding and lock down defender. We can send him back there no issues. Then when we need a bit of spice in the guts, send him in there to be an animal on the ball.

Getting Guthrie fit, and keeping him fit, seems to be a task in itself of late.

It will be interesting how Atkins goes this year. With Guthrie out his importance is huge.

You just have to respect a guy who plays his best football when his sides really needs him and contest is at his fiercest.

But we need him to do the week to week 4-quarter grind this year as well (especially until Guthrie is back).

I don’t think Bruhn or Clark are at his level yet, though would agree they are similar types, particularly Clark.
I think Clark has more to offer offensively than Atkins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins could see a return to the backline in his final years, and maybe could even start that this season. Just chopping out in midfield occassionally like Hodge did.

Edit: I see this was already brought up!

Agree on the first bit.

On the second i think bews and tuohy will go out (as will rohan) for guys like clark and dempsey etc coming in as early as this year. Kolo and moc could go that that way in a year or two too.

When does it stop being preseason, and start being the season? I feel like conversation is getting blurred between this and the round 1 thread, especially with the team being announced tomorrow.

With that in mind I bid thee adieu. See ya in da ova fred.

When does it stop being preseason, and start being the season? I feel like conversation is getting blurred between this and the round 1 thread, especially with the team being announced tomorrow.

Im tore between when our team runs through the banner or when the ball is bounced in our first game.

It’s one or the other for mine though.

When our team gets named on Thursday night for our round 1 clash - that's when our season starts

Scotty on 360
Speaking of Chris Scott, on Monday's Footy Classified they played some vision of the AFL CEO Andrew Dillion speaking on a podcast about possible coaches for the new Tassie Team. He suggested one of the Scott brothers would be ideal! :oops:

Speaking of Chris Scott, on Monday's Footy Classified they played some vision of the AFL CEO Andrew Dillion speaking on a podcast about possible coaches for the new Tassie Team. He suggested one of the Scott brothers would be ideal! :oops:

Where would Brad Scott be if he wasn't Chris Scott's brother?

In 10 years at North he limped into 2 prelims from outside the top 4 and left them a complete basket case. Then people act like he performed miracles in his first year with Essendon by taking them to 11th when they made finals in 2021.

Where would Brad Scott be if he wasn't Chris Scott's brother?

In 10 years at North he limped into 2 prelims from outside the top 4 and left them a complete basket case. Then people act like he performed miracles in his first year with Essendon by taking them to 11th when they made finals in 2021.
I reckon it’s less about Brad’s coaching resume and more about that they know how he operates and respect him as a decision maker due to his past role at the AFL.

As much as I love Atkins, I think him moving to the backline would be indicative that our team is in a better place.

Right now we need him to play midfield because we're a little thin in there. But as a first choice midfielder he's not in the same class as what most other contending sides have. So, I think while I'm happy for him to play in the midfield for now, I'll be happier when we get to a position where some of the younger players, or a new recruit or two, have gone past him and he can become a role player in another position.

What is happening with knevitt?? Very quiet pre season
I think he got the “he’s flying” preseason reports.

But looked very very ordinary in the Carlton game and didn’t make the 28 for the Dons match (rightfully so).

I don’t know if I should take much notice of that Carlton game seeing it was a million degrees and our first hitout… but I can’t lie, my hopes for him instantly dropped quite a bit after seeing that.

He’s just gonna need to head to the VFL and continue to improve imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back