Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mean to be that guy, but of course Im gonna be that guy.
Stolen from Facebook

Western Bulldogs 'Track Spy' Training Report:

40 players on the track today, with Bailey Dale, Liam Jones, Laith Vandermeer and Jordan Croft the notable absentees.

'The Bont' made an appearance with a series of short 25-metre kicks, all off his left boot, before returning indoors. He looked fit and strong and I was told that he will likely re-join main training in approximately two weeks time.

In even better news, Dom Bedendo has recovered significantly from his earlier scare, where he had an innocuous fall last week and ended his day on crutches. Some had reported likely ankle ligament damage and one speculated it may have been his achillies. However, he spoke to me directly today and said he wil resume full training soon, before completing a series of sprints and runs. Given his recent fastest overall time in the 2km trials (his time was faster than Bailey Smith who won the second trial), let's hope he can have a big pre-season, as he is my tip for the big improver in 2024.
Good.
The remaining players were split into three even 'active' groups, all mixed ability and positions. A fourth group was made up of light-work/rehab players, some of whom transitioned in and out of the three active teams. Of those mainly running laps, completing non-physical tasks included: Liberatore, Johannisen, Treloar, English, Arty Jones, Weightman, Clarke, Bramble, O'Driscoll and Cleary.

The active groups rotated through a series of drills including a ten vs ten player 120-metre compressed match simulation, five on five handball match scoring using nets, transition training, and stoppage work with an emphasis on bursting out of packs and body positioning of teammates to allow gut running exits.

In short, it was intense, high octane, relentless and bloody impressive.

This sounds pretty much on par with what I witnessed during a visit to pre-season training last year. Lots of short. sharp and in constant motion. With a lot of encouragement from line coaches. Something that Rohan Smith was particularly vocal with.

I can't speak to what's happening away from public training seasons, particularly with the advantages of doing it all at Whitten Oval.

But this is why I'll continue to call bullshit on the pup being sold regarding our apparent lack of fitness last year.

Our issues weren't ones of fitness, they were structural and how the side set up. Especially behind the ball.

The notable changes for me from last year are:

a) No carnival atmosphere - last season all the sessions had music blaring and there was a lot of laughter. That can be a great thing obviously, with players clearly enjoying their work and each others' company. Today however, it was all focus, military-style transitions and repeated messaging around the "What phase are we in?!" (I will elaborate shortly).

There was no carnival like atmosphere or music when I attended. However once is a very small sample size.

b) The professionalism, communication and planning of the Assistant Coaches today was exceptional. While I observed great energy and instruction in previous years, the coaches today appeared to work more collaboratively and had an understanding of each's role within each drill, demonstrating how organised and planned their coach's meeting must have been. The synergy was incredibly evident, down to the timing of the cones being set and replaced, with different staff running in to re-set for the next drill as seamlessly as a stage-hand would arrange the props and set for the next scene at the theatre. Loved seeing this.

The stand out performers and moments:
1. Jamarra's fitness and running has gone to the next level. He was the pack leader every time in his group and kicking was a feature.
2. Darcy's intercept ability is exceptional. He floated time after time to mark in the match simulations and his long-reach spoils and break-up of opponent's play was a thing of poetry.
3. Doc Duryea's voice and coaching was the most noticable. Encouraging, demanding and matched by his endeavour in the drills. One chase-down tackle of Poulter drew whoops and applause from teammates.
4. Sanders! He moves like a wasp. He can change direction and zip past players for fun. He creates space for himself and has a look of urgency. Pencil him in for Round 1.
5. Freijah looks like a real prospect. Uses the ball well, is confident, fast and clean. Like the look of him!!
6. Caleb Daniel's hands in close and decision making + composure is second to none.
7. Garcia looks and plays like Libba. He was tenacious and in everything. "Oh yes Sonny!" could be heard on loop, as he dominated.
8. Bailey Smith and Oscar Baker's running capacity both standouts. And Richards not far behind.
9. Keath looked fresh and using his smarts to great advantage.
10. VFL Coach Stewie Edge was calling the shots like a boss. Really loved his style and has the attention of all when he speaks. Two lines that he repeated were "Have some adventure in your thinking" and "Be opened minded with how we score", clearly encouraging players to be creative, take risks and look for unexpected opportunities.
11. Anthony Scott trained beautifully. Ran hard, finished expertly.
12. O'Donnell looks more mature and 'at home'. I like his chances of locking down his spot.
13. West was strong through the hips and really driving hard in stoppages. Appears to be battling Harmes for a role.
14. Bevo involved in kicking drills, which he doesn't usually do. He worked with Lobb and Gardner to set them up for marking with the bags.
15. Buku took an absolute hanger on the 'Specky Bag'.

Stock standard everybody is flying training report. I dont doubt that I would've said the same things last year.
*Regarding the 'four phases', some may have seen the Club video where Bevo speaks of this and challenges the players to be the fastest, strongest and best prepared team in his nine years at the club. He talks about the four phases - 1. When we are attacking 2. When we are defending 3. When the ball is in dispute/stoppage and 4. When you are not in the play but have a role and responsibility (instructional or positional). On the scoreboard, players in each team were awarded points for the 4th phase and these were updated live for all to see. Players constantly keeping an eye on progress of their 'team' and coaches updating with their hand held devices throughout the session. Also listed on the board and scoring points was 'End Zone' which I will explain in my next report!

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
I guess I'll have to put aside a morning and go look for myself.

Sorry. Not sorry.

But this is why I'll continue to call bullshit on the pup being sold regarding our apparent lack of fitness last year.

Our issues weren't ones of fitness, they were structural and how the side set up. Especially behind the ball.
Reading between the lines of the quotes we've seen from Beveridge, their analysis of the issue is that we weren't consistent enough in the "fourth phase" - I.e., that players weren't holding the structure. Fitness is one part of that, especially given the observation that the issues arose in the second half of quarters in the second half of the game.

I don't think your interpretation is incompatible with the above.

I think that something else was the lack of cohesion between the new players this year, something one of the players being interviewed mentioned as well. I also got the impression there is a stronger focus on senior players directing, rather than Bont being left to do everything.

Reading between the lines of the quotes we've seen from Beveridge, their analysis of the issue is that we weren't consistent enough in the "fourth phase" - I.e., that players weren't holding the structure. Fitness is one part of that, especially given the observation that the issues arose in the second half of quarters in the second half of the game.

I don't think your interpretation is incompatible with the above.

I presume that there is data out there showing our fade outs to be predominantly in the later stages of quarters which would correlate this. It's just that it feels like we have flat periods of 10 minutes or so across games allowing opposition sides get on top. We were then forced to bust a gut trying and for the most part failing to get the game into a competitive position.

Having a very cursory look at the scoreline at what most would acknowledge as the nadir of our season. When we played Hawthorn and West Coast over consecutive weeks. We struggled all game not just in its later phases and then proceeded to came out of half time absolutely flat struggling like a cat in a sack to gain any real control before losing games that were vital to our season continuing.

To me this feels like an issue of motivation be it one of the coaches making or from the players.

This new messaging just vibes like a coach passing the buck for his inability to get them up onto the playing group as a whole.

I think his demeanour as the season was clearly fizzling out demonstrates this to be true.

However, hope springs eternal, its a new season, with a new crew of coaches with fresh messaging and all that positive stuff.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mean to be that guy, but of course Im gonna be that guy.

Good.

This sounds pretty much on par with what I witnessed during a visit to pre-season training last year. Lots of short. sharp and in constant motion. With a lot of encouragement from line coaches. Something that Rohan Smith was particularly vocal with.

I can't speak to what's happening away from public training seasons, particularly with the advantages of doing it all at Whitten Oval.

There was no carnival like atmosphere or music when I attended. However once is a very small sample size.

Stock standard everybody is flying training report. I dont doubt that I would've said the same things last year.

I guess I'll have to put aside a morning and go look for myself.

Sorry. Not sorry.

I respect your opinions but I still believe fitness was an issue last year - perhaps due to injury more than the pre season process.

To my eye - St Kilda looked way fitter than us in round 2. They then came back to the pack once the season wore on.

We were 8/3 - the Richards and JJ injuries really hurt us in the second half of the year - we win the Sydney,GWS and hawks games with both in the side.

We could not run out games - simple as that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think there is a strong possibility that a young Aboriginal man may find the name offensive.
Or, more likely, a bunch of white-guilt neckbeards will feel offended on his behalf, while he has never heard of "WASP" because he has a real life and isn't chronically online.

Or, more likely, a bunch of white-guilt neckbeards will feel offended on his behalf, while he has never heard of "WASP" because he has a real life and isn't chronically online.
Kids his age would be less than interested in such minutiae. It’s a term that refers to a class of elites, originating in the USA.

Forgive my complete ignorance, but can anyone explain this wasp thing?
Here you go

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant: a person descended from N European, usually Protestant stock, forming a group often considered the most dominant, privileged, and influential in American society.

Forgive my complete ignorance, but can anyone explain this wasp thing?

Sanders movement was described as wasp like. Someone suggested that'd make a good nickname. Another person suggested he might not like it because of his indigenous roots and the words other meaning.

As far as I know W.A.S.P is an american thing. An acronym to describe wealthy anglo saxans in the ruling class

These are the days of our lives

No most likely Aboriginal people would feel offended on their own behalf. Families especially linked to Stolen Generation may find links to them being referred to as white as highly offensive and often traumatic.

Sanders movement was described as wasp like. Someone suggested that'd make a good nickname. Another person suggested he might not like it because of his indigenous roots and the words other meaning.

As far as I know W.A.S.P is an american thing. An acronym to describe wealthy anglo saxans in the ruling class

These are the days of our lives

'White' Anglo Saxons and the links are to Britain from USA. Calling an Aboriginal person, a 'white' who originates from Britain, well there is the part that is offensive.

'White' Anglo Saxons and the links are to Britain from USA. Calling an Aboriginal person, a 'white' who originates from Britain, well there is the part that is offensive.

I get that but thats not what he was being called at all. He was being called the wasp. An insect.

Anyway whatever I'll call him Sando

Remove this Banner Ad

Back