Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's take this further. Why wasn't Buku spending his off-season running laps and building his tank? Why weren't Naughton and Marra at the club every day kicking for goal? Macrae had a down year, why didn't he come back early? Shouldn't Keath have been making sure his intercept marking is up to scratch? Why do we let them have time off anyway?

Would hope he’s done a bit.

Seeing a lot of the older players back in to it. A player that clearly struggled on field last year, would’ve expected he’d be foaming at the bit.

In my experience, sometimes taking a decent break from one's job can help a person to step back a little, gain perspective, and come back fresh. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for footballers.

Is Baz back from his off season overseas tour?

Was still travelling when all other players were back training.

Will be interesting to see how he comes out Rd 1 next season. I’m tipping we’ll see more of 2023 Baz in 24 than Baz at his best.

Players can do whatever they want in the off season, but would’ve thought he’d have maybe dedicated large parts to making sure he hit round 1 flying. Particularly considering he was unhappy not getting more midfield minutes last season.

We shall see I suppose.

It’s also conceivable that what we’ve seen publicly represents a tiny snippet of how he’s spent his offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s also conceivable that what we’ve seen publicly represents a tiny snippet of how he’s spent his offseason.

Also that training block he did with Daicos is likely more than nearly all of the players in the league did on their holidays. Almost all who likely did sweet nothing on their own trips, fitness wise. He could have gone full holiday mode, instead spent part of it training. Deserves credit there.

Last edited:

Probably seen more than a snippet going by socials ( yes I’m one of those losers).

Few weeks in Bali. Time in the US and was in Sth America when training kicked off.

Like I said, players can do what they want. Baz could rock up to training a week before the season kicked off if the club ok’d it. Doesn’t keep me awake at night.

Just thought it strange he spent the majority of the off season overseas, considering there’s a fair bit of improvement needed from this years output.

Also that training block he did with Daicos is likely more than nearly all of the players in the league. Who likely did sweet nothing on their trips fitness wise. He could have gone full holiday mode, instead spent part of it training. Deserves credit there.

Wasn’t the US trip a promotional thing put together by the shared player manager?

I haven’t heard anything about a training block.

Probably seen more than a snippet going by socials ( yes I’m one of those losers).

Few weeks in Bali. Time in the US and was in Sth America when training kicked off.

Like I said, players can do what they want. Baz could rock up to training a week before the season kicked off if the club ok’d it. Doesn’t keep me awake at night.

Just thought it strange he spent the majority of the off season overseas, considering there’s a fair bit of improvement needed from this years output.
He was training during AFL finals before the season was officially over I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, Bailey Smith is a renowned over-trainer. That's the last thing we need to be worried about.

Once again, Bailey Smith is a renowned over-trainer. That's the last thing we need to be worried about.

no you see, he's just over-training the wrong things, if he just spent all off-season doing kicking training then that would be enough to show that he gives half a s**t about footy

I just got off a flight from Bogota, Bailey Smith was also on-board in economy. I have serious doubts over his seriousness based on that flight. Not once did I see him get up and do situps in the aisle, nor any decline pushups using his seat. Have to question whether he’s taking footy seriously right now

I just got off a flight from Bogota, Bailey Smith was also on-board in economy. I have serious doubts over his seriousness based on that flight. Not once did I see him get up and do situps in the aisle, nor any decline pushups using his seat. Have to question whether he’s taking footy seriously right now
Yeah but flying economy = we lowballed on the contract extension = motivation for 2024.

He wasn’t bringing back 20 boxes of headphones was he?

This could be a record high avatar to content correlated post.

I read the post imagining ol'purple saying those words (indignant, faintly hysterical tone) and it was so clearly in his wheelhouse.

Last edited:

Let's not kid ourselves. It's his mental strength that is a weakness.

Is Baz physically fitter than Libba? I'd say so. Libba is considered one of the best two-way runners in the competition. Baz is lazy and it's due to not having as much will power to work hard. We know that physically he's able to, but only if he's prepared to push himself and fight through the hurt to get to contest after contest. It's why his CBA numbers were significantly down this season. He was a liability at CBAs in quite a number of games because of his lack of mental fortitude. We know Libba has that in abundance.

If Baz getting away from the club and from a familiar environment is going to help his mindset, then I'm absolutely all for that. Whatever helps him become stronger mentally. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a lack of focus or one too many distractions.

So you say there's a fair bit of improvement needed from this year's output. That improvement is inside his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back