Preview 2024 Pre season trial game 2 - Vs West Coast - Hisense Sat Mar 2 @2:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Where else would he play? Further up the ground on a wing or HFF? Can’t see him spending too long in the SANFL. Sloane was a retinal detachment (second I believe?), wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a medial retirement. Wouldn’t be risking my eye sight as a 33yo for one more year of footy.
I’m keen to play him on the wing but I think they want to give him a grounding in defence

Going on training reports and trial games he’s got a bit to work on as a defender but when he gets the ball in hand he’s got that composure and kick and nice bit of agility , reminds me alot of Jordan Dawson in that regard

So …. I think he will get games soonish but he’s not in picture for round 1, agree with what 1970 is saying our wings are prob not locked in and one of our half backs could get pushed up to wing which would open up spot in defence eventually

I’m keen to play him on the wing but I think they want to give him a grounding in defence

Going on training reports and trial games he’s got a bit to work on as a defender but when he gets the ball in hand he’s got that composure and kick and nice bit of agility , reminds me alot of Jordan Dawson in that regard

So …. I think he will get games soonish but he’s not in picture for round 1, agree with what 1970 is saying our wings are prob not locked in and one of our half backs could get pushed up to wing which would open up spot in defence eventually

Potentially he could play Worrell's role with him or Keane missing. Just not sure that'll be up for debate for a while either.

Potentially he could play Worrell's role with him or Keane missing. Just not sure that'll be up for debate for a while either.
Yeah I think you’re argument is correct

He’s been a bit interrupted then not quite ready or advanced defensively

So think he will bide his time and get some sanfl grounding

Ideally at moment in AFL they’d want him on the 3d tall or hybrid type forward that’s not too tall and strong but not too zippy either

When Murray comes back I really do see an option where Curtin gets pushed up to the wing where his endurance , composure , decision making and height would be a weapon

I count 18 players out of contract on footywire. I doubt they're all getting delisted, so I'd say that's not really as key an indicator as you think it is at this moment. Not sure your current 8njury list, but given he was selected in your final hitout today, he's likely in your 23 for round 1. I bet a few of the other 17 uncontracted players won't be.

By my count, at least eight to ten of that uncontracted list would be ahead of Edwards on their depth chart.

The Eagles are looking to reshape their list.

They'll be looking to the midseason draft, to delisted free agents, to traditional free agents, to trades and to the main draft as ways of rebuilding. They're not just taking four draft picks and giving up - at least, that doesn't seem like their style.

Edwards is around the mark - probably gets a year's extension, but delisting wouldn't be a shock.

Michalanney was superb down back today, he's giving me Harris Andrews vibes from today (just a shorter version). A real leader already.

I was very impressed with him yesterday.

He and Worrell have a good understanding between themselves. Sagging off their man to help out each other and both not going to the same spots when the ball hits a pack.

I know Butts wasn't great yesterday, particularly with ball in hand. But defensively he had a pretty good pure stopper game.

Borlase was very good I thought. Only issue with him is the fatigue when play leaves. Still building the tank to play at AFL level. Was warm, but he was the only player I noticed hands on head taking in big breaths when played left. Really hope he can get there. Would be an AFL regular based on talent.

With Keane and Murray out, we have a very good Defensive unit and depth. They don't win NS awards GF day, but you don't win a GF without this.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was very impressed with him yesterday.

He and Worrell have a good understanding between themselves. Sagging off their man to help out each other and both not going to the same spots when the ball hits a pack.

I know Butts wasn't great yesterday, particularly with ball in hand. But defensively he had a pretty good pure stopper game.

Borlase was very good I thought. Only issue with him is the fatigue when play leaves. Still building the tank to play at AFL level. Was warm, but he was the only player I noticed hands on head taking in big breaths when played left. Really hope he can get there. Would be an AFL regular based on talent.

With Keane and Murray out, we have a very good Defensive unit and depth. They don't win NS awards GF day, but you don't win a GF without this.

No way Borlase should play ahead of Butts if fit....Ever.
Pretty sure Butts went at 100% DE so not sure where your ball in hand comment comes from.

Berry's speed, strength and tackling makes me wonder about his potential as someone who can help us leak fewer clearance losses by positioning himself on the defensive side. Last season we were #3 for clearances but #17 for opposition clearances, which made our differential zero. Everyone here can remember all the times opposition mids streamed out of stoppages, particularly centre bounces. That improved when Crouch came back into the side but overall it was still an area of weakness, especially given we employ a stoppage-heavy style.

It's the kicking of an inside bull midfielder who likely has a B-A grade ceiling. Similar to laird and Crouch. Probably worse kicking at this stage than those two. Seems to have more power though and can hit the scoreboard a bit more.

If he can improve his kicking by 10-20% and play with the power he had yesterday, he's got a long term future in our midfield imo.
I reckon he’s a worse kick than those 2, he’d need to improve a fair bit to get to there level.

He has more acceleration than those 2 but to get to A grade you’ve got to be A grade.

Watching the replay Crouches ability to stand up in a tackle and clear the ball to a teammates advantage is incredible, class above everyone on the field. He’s way ahead of Laird right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Borlase should play ahead of Butts if fit....Ever.
Pretty sure Butts went at 100% DE so not sure where your ball in hand comment comes from.
He made a couple of long kicks that may have registered as efficient but were really not great.

I don't care about that though. Butts is a very good defender.

You are right, Borlase is more in the discussion with Keane. Borlase probably ends up a career depth player.

Long term though, I prefer Butts/Murray as the two key defenders. Big bodied guys who can defend.

Berry's speed, strength and tackling makes me wonder about his potential as someone who can help us leak fewer clearance losses by positioning himself on the defensive side. Last season we were #3 for clearances but #17 for opposition clearances, which made our differential zero. Everyone here can remember all the times opposition mids streamed out of stoppages, particularly centre bounces. That improved when Crouch came back into the side but overall it was still an area of weakness, especially given we employ a stoppage-heavy style.
There was one centre bounce where we had Laird, Crouch and Berry as our mids. Interestingly it was an easy clearance for us.

He made a couple of long kicks that may have registered as efficient but were really not great.

I don't care about that though. Butts is a very good defender.

You are right, Borlase is more in the discussion with Keane. Borlase probably ends up a career depth player.

Long term though, I prefer Butts/Murray as the two key defenders. Big bodied guys who can defend.

The bloke missed a block pre-season rehabbing his foot issue and missed a stack of match sim and contest work rehabbing 2 recent hamstring issues and yesterday was his 1st solid hit out so I don't know why you'd single him out.

Nicks'comment on his game...

“Butts was really solid, he’s done a lot of work without playing footy and he’s shown he can come back and be at the level.”

I think you’re a bit harsh on Borlaise Bicks ! He’s in the mix with Butts just ahead but he’s doing well ! I’m impressed

^ I meant Butts is ahead
Borlase is decent defensive depth, that's it. Just like Strachan is decent ruck depth.

The bloke missed a block pre-season rehabbing his foot issue and missed a stack of match sim and contest work rehabbing 2 recent hamstring issues and yesterday was his 1st solid hit out so I don't know why you'd single him out.

Nicks'comment on his game...

“Butts was really solid, he’s done a lot of work without playing footy and he’s shown he can come back and be at the level.”
He did say he prefers Murray and Butts as key defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back