Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Sharman is a good option in the ruck. He's not a strong body, and he's not the ultra-competitor type you need as an under-sized ruck.

Maybe under the old rules, he would have been a good 3rd man up type when he could have a clean run and jump.

As much as we don't like it being Mitch he's the best option of the guys in the 23. He's competitive, strong, has a leap, and can follow up on the ground.

Guys that halve contests are good enough if they give something else. Nankervis, English, Marshall aren't rucks that force feed their mids but all have second strings.

He's only likely to come up against the opposition second ruck so could and has done it. Not ideal but he could be required.

Guys that halve contests are good enough if they give something else. Nankervis, English, Marshall aren't rucks that force feed their mids but all have second strings.

He's only likely to come up against the opposition second ruck so could and has done it. Not ideal but he could be required.
It will be Owens as he can double up as a mid and because he is arguably in our top 3 strongest players at the club.

It will be Owens as he can double up as a mid and because he is arguably in our top 3 strongest players at the club.
Yep. Didn't pass without notice last year that he was able to throw the oppo ruckman to the ground a few times. And this year he'll be stronger. And the next year. And the next. And the next.

I have nightmare thoughts from time to time about a future date in late September at the MCG.
The Saints are less than a goal behind in the last minute or two. Strangely, Doogs is free in the forward line and grabs the ball.
He spins around in a circle to try and outsmart the opposition & gets caught holding the ball.
It's a surreal moment that seems to last a minute or so.
Long suffering saints supporters are in tears as the siren sounds & the two hands of the field umpire are raised high in the air. Doogs slumps to the ground as the constant renditions of the opposition club song repeats over and over again!
So basically does a Raph Clarke?

One of our problems identified from last season, was our inability to kick big enough scores. To take a goal kicker like Sharman out of the forward half to play in the ruck or whatever, would mean losing 30-50 goals -not ideal.
Totally agree. Sharman is a natural forward and should be played there exclusively to utilise his talents and kick goals.

If anything, I'd throw Howard in as a second ruck and tell him not to worry if he makes a few "accidents" by falling on people with his knees and elbows.

I think using Mitch as a backup ruck is a poor use of your thoroughbred. Just put him in the middle ffs and have someone else do the jumping. TC for example who could be subbed out most weeks at half time with a niggle.

Yes realise Doogs is out for 6 weeks so hypothetical at this stage.

Give it to TC at this stage, perhaps he can rotate back and sub him out of/when a runner is needed. Gives Marshall a much easier time of it.

Totally agree. Sharman is a natural forward and should be played there exclusively to utilise his talents and kick goals.

If anything, I'd throw Howard in as a second ruck and tell him not to worry if he makes a few "accidents" by falling on people with his knees and elbows.

I think using Mitch as a backup ruck is a poor use of your thoroughbred. Just put him in the middle ffs and have someone else do the jumping. TC for example who could be subbed out most weeks at half time with a niggle.
TC and Marshall will never play in the same team together. Owens is the best choice at this time. Unfortunately, all other options are injured or wayyy to raw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to side with the Owens as 2nd ruck crowd, simply because it gets him around stoppages and he becomes an extra mid as soon as the ruck contest is won (or lost).

Jack Hayes will fill that 2nd ruck spot once fit. I think we all forget how quality he is.
I'm not sure id use the word quality , he tries hard for sure but he has played one decent game , a few average games and was dropped , I don't see where he fits in with Max, Members, Sharman, Hammer , they cant all play I wouldn't think

TC and Marshall will never play in the same team together. Owens is the best choice at this time. Unfortunately, all other options are injured or wayyy to raw

Are you totally sure about that? Personally I'd like to see TC and Marshall with a smaller fwd line (minus Higgins, incld Butler and Collard for EG)

I'm not sure id use the word quality , he tries hard for sure but he has played one decent game , a few average games and was dropped , I don't see where he fits in with Max, Members, Sharman, Hammer , they cant all play I wouldn't think
It is going to depend on how Owens performs in the ruck role during the first half of the season, but if it is not going well then I think Hayes could feature prominently in the second half purely because he the only other chop out option with any sort of ruck craft. Even if Owens is going okay, it could still happen - playing second ruck for a whole season is a massive ask with all sorts of risks (and trade offs).

To my mind, the way it would be structured is that Owens becomes a permanent mid (with the usual rotations) and Hayes replaces him in the forward line. Everything else remains roughly the same.

Wilkie usually plays 100%, Howard and Battle usually less and Cordy even less.

Sharman has been used as a "fill in" defender on heaps of occasions.

But the issue is who do you want to fill in as 2nd ruck.

The only time I want to see Owens in the centre square is as a midfielder, not lined up in the ruck against someone like Mark Blicavs.
Marshall gets slaughtered in centre bounce ruck contests anyway.
What's the difference whether its owen or marshall?

We're usually cooked either way.

Marshall gets slaughtered in centre bounce ruck contests anyway.
What's the difference whether its owen or marshall?

We're usually cooked either way.

That's correct if we're only talking about hit outs. Marshall had more clearances per game last year than any ruckman not named Oscar McInerny.

That's correct if we're only talking about hit outs. Marshall had more clearances per game last year than any ruckman not named Oscar McInerny.
Correct.
But we as a team were ranked 18th for clearances.

Who cares if roma is individually getting lots of clearances- if we as a team suck at winning clearances?

Roma steals just as many clearances off his teammates as he does off the opposition.

Correct.
But we as a team were ranked 18th for clearances.

Who cares if roma is individually getting lots of clearances- if we as a team suck at winning clearances?

Roma steals just as many clearances off his teammates as he does off the opposition.

I just hope that two things are being considered inside the footy dept of the club

• How do we improve in clearances
  • How can we win without clearances

I just hope that two things are being considered inside the footy dept of the club

• How do we improve in clearances
  • How can we win without clearances
The rhetoric is that clearances don't matter, only ability to create turnovers, and score from turnovers. 6/6/6 only fixes this at centre bounces.

If it wasn't for the time lost, 6/6/6 would already be enforced at all stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back