Training 2024 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't though. Pre season means nothing. There's less pressure, no stakes and Carlton were missing their best key defender. Would be like May not playing.

We also did this last pre season and against the bulldogs and Sydney and then lost one game and switched completely back to type.

You're just wanting to see it
Come on Kent. Let’s see a nice big smile

Agree with all this and been complaining about our flat feet in the forwardline for ages. If everyone is standing still what else can the mids do but bomb it in? Stafford really needed to be sacked last year.

The ball movement looked a lot better, unfortunately our best passages of play got stuffed up by our forwards completely shanking the final kicks. Also everyone needs to remember that its pre-season and we weren't under nearly as much pressure as we normally would be so it's gonna be harder when the real stuff starts, but there was an obvious intent to take the corridor rather than trying to keep the ball wide as we did last year.
The only time they do lead it seems is back towards goal away from the ball carrier, this would be fine if it was only one person doing it, but sometimes we have three guys inside 50 all doing it while JVR or Gawn are sitting at the top of the square, all we do is create a 4 on 4, its absolutely nuts. Not to mention when they do lead back its usually a back pedal with their hand in the air which cause the no issues for a defender coz they are moving so slow. If youre going to lead away from the ball carrier throw in times where its a dummy then lead back towards him using the space created. You saw exactly this when Laurie hit Pickett in the third quarter, there are easy pickings to be had. Blows my mind. Its either terrible coaching or just pure laziness by the forwards.

You can't though. Pre season means nothing. There's less pressure, no stakes and Carlton were missing their best key defender. Would be like May not playing.

We also did this last pre season and against the bulldogs and Sydney and then lost one game and switched completely back to type.

You're just wanting to see it
Why do you bother. Your life must be miserable. Lol.

The only time they do lead it seems is back towards goal away from the ball carrier, this would be fine if it was only one person doing it, but sometimes we have three guys inside 50 all doing it while JVR or Gawn are sitting at the top of the square, all we do is create a 4 on 4, its absolutely nuts. Not to mention when they do lead back its usually a back pedal with their hand in the air which cause the no issues for a defender coz they are moving so slow. If youre going to lead away from the ball carrier throw in times where its a dummy then lead back towards him using the space created. You saw exactly this when Laurie hit Pickett in the third quarter, there are easy pickings to be had. Blows my mind. Its either terrible coaching or just pure laziness by the forwards.
I can't imagine the players doing it by choice, regardless of my opinion on our game style we've always been very well drilled.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they're doing it so that a turnover isn't as much of an issue and oppo can't transition as easily but it just sucks all the air out of our tyres watching that jack in the pack crap every time.

It's actually quite incredible how often we are streaming through half forward with the ball and don't have anyone just leading straight at the kicker for a 20-25m pass.

Anyone who has played defence knows you are basically done and relying on a bad kick if you're one on one and the oppo is streaming through half forward with space for the forwards to lead into. Yet our forwards at that point are usually standing and pointing or running back to the goalsquare.

Come on Kent. Let’s see a nice big smile
Zoom In Harry Perryman GIF by GIANTS

Youre just playing into Kent's hands with a back and forth, its a cant lose scenario for him. If we actually play a better style and hes proven wrong he wont care coz hell be happy to watch it, if we go back to the same old prepare yourselves for MANY I told you so's.
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

Youre just playing into Kent's hands with a back and forth, its a cant lose scenario for him. If we actually play a better style and hes proven wrong he wont care coz hell be happy to watch it, if we go back to the same old prepare yourselves for MANY I told you so's.
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars
Season 6 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

I'm glad to hear the midfielders are using the corridor more and ball movement is better and Billings isn't s**t but none of that matters to me if we're botching the bit where we kick goals. idgaf if it's the midfielders bombing it or the forwards not leading tbh, it's a fn disaster.

He can be a miserable bastard but he’s right. If we are still playing this way at the bye I’ll be happy.
Yeah but all we can go off is the small sample size of the Carlton game. There were some good signs with the ball movement and use. Agree we need to see what it looks like from next week onwards but there’s not too many reasons to be negative about the Carlton game.

I get what Cal is saying with the burst of acceleration. As I've said, would like to see what Windsor could do on ball at some stage in his career, that acceleration away from a centre bounce could be a huge weapon. He's got enough physicality to his game to be fine on ball. Imagine Windsor running onto the tap Gawn fed Salem last night.
Inside mid? 😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the full game now
10 mins gone in the first we've used the corridor 0 times and Carlton 3 so far

Goals from 60m, a 50m penalty and a kick to the pocket.

We've also copped a hiding at stoppages so far.
Second quarter is where it opens up more

Can we have an updated version of the Lab where it's a whole thread of Topkent watching games on replay and commenting on our ball use?
Innocent Dees board poster: "I thought we played pretty well"

TK, 3 days later: "Here's an excruciatingly detailed explanation as to why you are wrong."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back