Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Gardiner still named in the forward line.
Do we need to cut the interchange back or are we running with an extended bench for this one?
And no Dev.

TEAMS: Star returns, key Swans rested, blow for young Giant

Sydney v Brisbane at Blacktown International Sports Park, 7.10pm AEDT

SYDNEY

B:
Lewis Melican, Tom McCartin, Harry Cunningham
HB: Oliver Florent, Nick Blakey, Matt Roberts
C: Errol Gulden, Taylor Adams, James Jordon
HF: Robbie Fox, Logan McDonald, Sam Wicks
F: Hayden McLean, Joel Amartey, Will Hayward
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Isaac Heeney, James Rowbottom
I/C: Joel Hamling, Braeden Campbell, Justin McInerney, Angus Sheldrick, Peter Ladhams, Corey Warner, Dane Rampe, Caleb Mitchell
Emerg: William Edwards, Jack Buller, Lachlan McAndrew, Jacob Konstanty

Notable absentees: Jake Lloyd, Callum Mills, Tom Papley, Luke Parker, Chad Warner

BRISBANE

B:
Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester
HB: Keidean Coleman, Harris Andrews, Darcy Wilmot
C: Jaspa Fletcher, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry
HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage
F: Cam Rayner, Joe Daniher, Darcy Gardiner
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale
I/C: Kai Lohmann, Callum Ah Chee, Lincoln McCarthy, James Madden, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons, Henry Smith, James Tunstill
Emerg: Jaxon Prior, Harry Sharp, Darcy Fort, Noah Answerth

Notable absentees: Deven Robertson, Tom Doedee, Conor McKenna, Will Ashcroft
Everything is the same as a normal game except 8 on I/C instead of 4 + sub.
Dev now out for OR you would think.
Tunstill plays another solid game, and he should get Devs GF spot.
The players actually named in where they will most likely line up. Thats a change.

I just assumed it has to do with the deal to have Richmond Carlton as the first game of Round 1. This is just the usual AFL crap of trying to awkwardly get around a contract
That’s exactly it, both the blues and tigers cracked the shits when it was first announced. A few there there’s later and an assurance that round 1 will be unchanged, crisis averted. Got to love the VFL

February is a rubbish month - too hot, had enough of family social stuff (love them but we do a lot of dinner togetherness), paying off the Christmas credit card.

Honestly in our family it's the month of mental health decline.

Cannot wait for tomorrow's game and the season proper.

Back obsessive fandom, yelling and cheering and venting.

Even the horror years were better than ugh February.

anyone else feel the same?
Fortunately I love cricket so 🤷

I have a fitness hobby that's also good for my mental health.
fun video GIF
Have you done the river loop much? I expanded from the half loop to the full loop for the first time on Saturday and it nearly broke me. Got to the top of Dutton Park and almost vomited!

2:02:26 which I'm hardly proud of but means I can aim for sub 2hrs next time.

I/C: Kai Lohmann, Callum Ah Chee, Lincoln McCarthy, James Madden, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons, Henry Smith, James Tunstill
Emerg: Jaxon Prior, Harry Sharp, Darcy Fort, Noah Answerth

Notable absentees: Deven Robertson, Tom Doedee, Conor McKenna, Will Ashcroft
Our bench is interesting. If my analysis is right we've opted for a backup ruckman (fine), but then 3 forwards (Lohmann, Ah Chee and McCarthy), 3 mids (Zorko, Lyons and Tunstill) and only 1 back (Madden).

It makes me wonder whether Zorko will actually spend more time off half back. It doesn't seem a popular move in these parts but I quite like it.

Besides that I would have had Sharp in for Lohmann (both on form and also because I think we are forward heavy) and Answerth for Madden. I'd also have Fort for Smith but I understand Smith's selection for tomorrow.

Have you done the river loop much? I expanded from the half loop to the full loop for the first time on Saturday and it nearly broke me. Got to the top of Dutton Park and almost vomited!

That is a very steep hill if it's the one I think you're talking about... ? You go under the UQ Green Bridge and then wind your way up to Gladstone Rd?

You have probably cycled past me a few times, I go for an hour or more walk each day, I have several different routes I take but I always walk along the full length of Brisbane Corso, it's so quiet and peaceful during the week when most of the plebs are at work, weekends a different story.

I only use the bicycle when going to Yoga/Pilates in the early morning, leave home at 5.10am and it's only a 15 minute ride, the studio I go to is only 400 meters from the Gabba.

Can not see Robertson or McKenna playing off the back of no game play, from the GF side >

Outs- Dev Robertson, Connor McKenna, Jarryd Lyons(sub).

Ins- James Tunstill, Jack Payne, Harry Sharp/James Madden/Kai Lohmann(sub).

Our bench is interesting. If my analysis is right we've opted for a backup ruckman (fine), but then 3 forwards (Lohmann, Ah Chee and McCarthy), 3 mids (Zorko, Lyons and Tunstill) and only 1 back (Madden).

It makes me wonder whether Zorko will actually spend more time off half back. It doesn't seem a popular move in these parts but I quite like it.

Besides that I would have had Sharp in for Lohmann (both on form and also because I think we are forward heavy) and Answerth for Madden. I'd also have Fort for Smith but I understand Smith's selection for tomorrow.
I don’t mind Zorko being used in the back half especially now he is fit again.
As long as the other defenders realise they will have to do some extra work defending.
Both AhChee and Lohmann will likely be used on the wing as well as forward.

Darcy Gardiner rarely gets to read an article on himself during his 10-year career as a Lion.

That is a very steep hill if it's the one I think you're talking about... ? You go under the UQ Green Bridge and then wind your way up to Gladstone Rd?

You have probably cycled past me a few times, I go for an hour or more walk each day, I have several different routes I take but I always walk along the full length of Brisbane Corso, it's so quiet and peaceful during the week when most of the plebs are at work, weekends a different story.

I only use the bicycle when going to Yoga/Pilates in the early morning, leave home at 5.10am and it's only a 15 minute ride, the studio I go to is only 400 meters from the Gabba.
Yep that's the hill. Really sorts me out normally on the short loop, but having already covered 30 of my 37km loop, which contained more than its fair share of hills even before that, it was as bad as I was dreading!

At least now I have a better idea of what to expect so hopefully I'll be better prepared, both mentally and physically. I'ma fail my way to the top!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we get the full video interview soon. I imagine that's an extension of Damien Barrett's piece about him on the AFL website in the last 24 hours. I suspect this was shot the same week he was interviewed by Garry and Tim on SEN and then by Dom and Fish on the Roar Deal.

Hopefully we get the full video interview soon. I imagine that's an extension of Damien Barrett's piece about him on the AFL website in the last 24 hours. I suspect this was shot the same week he was interviewed by Garry and Tim on SEN and then by Dom and Fish on the Roar Deal.
His thoughts on Kiddy from the same interview

Keidean) Coleman … I'm so proud of him, he's the first person in his family to a buy a house and that is exciting for him. He's got a young family, and we are working on fitness with him, but what a Grand Final he played, and his finals series full stop was outstanding. He is just a natural."

Am I imagining things or did I hear somewhere we spent a bit of time practicing to be aware of where umpires are during this off season?

Am I imagining things or did I hear somewhere we spent a bit of time practicing to be aware of where umpires are during this off season?
I know Fages mentioned something about being aware of not giving away silly 50s etc. That was when he was on the Roar Deal. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I know Fages mentioned something about being aware of not giving away silly 50s etc. That was when he was on the Roar Deal. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Maybe. I remember thinking at the time it was more general play stuff. Which I like. All those little throws and holds when umps are blindsided add up over the course of a game.

Maybe. I remember thinking at the time it was more general play stuff. Which I like. All those little throws and holds when umps are blindsided add up over the course of a game.
Ah, the Western Bulldogs school of shameless cheating. If you can't beat em, join em. Didn't hear Fages say it but I like it.

:laughv1:

Not as often as I used to. Most of our rides are out Wynnum, Wellington Point down to Victoria Point way, or up to Redcliffe and back.

Our group sometimes does an extended riverloop, where we head out through Kenmore, Jindalee and back through Darra, Oxley and Corinda.

Cycling is all about repetition. It gets easier the more often you ride, and then you extend your rides.

p.s. My first ride was 25km with a work colleague who did triathlons. That almost killed me.

I have a fitness hobby that's also good for my mental health.
fun video GIF

I sail, but I need another 10-15kgs for the dinghy I sail on in February wind which has been over 25 km/hr plus 15km/hr gusts. This Sunday in MARCH - light 10km/hour.

See? Bloody February. Ruins everything.

Except rants. It's great fodder for rants.

David King saying the Suns will win a Premiership in the next 2-3 years.... how sad would it be if they won a flag before our next one.
people been saying things like this about the suns for years

im firmly in the camp of put up or shut up with that team

David King saying the Suns will win a Premiership in the next 2-3 years.... how sad would it be if they won a flag before our next one.:sadv1:

Almost as sad as listening to David Kings opinion and thinking it's relevant.

For shame Jason, for shame!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back