Training 2024 Preseason Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries and a lack of rotations certainly didn't help but the Pies were a cut above fitness-wise

Our players looked like they were running in mud
I don’t think it was a fitness thing that game, rather a momentum and once collingwood had it they strangled us with pressure to the point our players couldn’t execute. There were plenty of times in the last qtr where we had good run of plays and just couldn’t finish on the score board.

Injuries and a lack of rotations certainly didn't help but the Pies were a cut above fitness-wise

Our players looked like they were running in mud
Totally agree, ran out of steam, was the first hint that our running capacity wasn’t upto scratch that was later confirmed rounds 16+

I don’t think it was a fitness thing that game, rather a momentum and once collingwood had it they strangled us with pressure to the point our players couldn’t execute. There were plenty of times in the last qtr where we had good run of plays and just couldn’t finish on the score board.
I didn't think fitness was that big a factor either in that game.
Fitness and conditioning, to me, comes into play in the 2nd half and later in the footy season.

That Anzac game I saw the Collingwood players execute efficient ball use, player positioning and likely strong mindset to create a tidal wave of momentum. It's what they did do very well against a lot of teams though when their backs were against the wall, so we are in good company.

Still, Laverde going down in that match, Ridley going down against Port. Both seemed in part the turning points against Essendon in those matches last year. Getting secondary players that can play good enough in those roles would be ideal.

I didn't think fitness was that big a factor either in that game.
Fitness and conditioning, to me, comes into play in the 2nd half and later in the footy season.

That Anzac game I saw the Collingwood players execute efficient ball use, player positioning and likely strong mindset to create a tidal wave of momentum. It's what they did do very well against a lot of teams though when their backs were against the wall, so we are in good company.

Still, Laverde going down in that match, Ridley going down against Port. Both seemed in part the turning points against Essendon in those matches last year. Getting secondary players that can play good enough in those roles would be ideal.
We also forget merrett didn’t play in Anzac Day, would’ve been so handy in that final qtr as a steadying player.

A lot of clubs would've struggled without their #1 KPF, which we did in Wright just on the eve of the season (and something Collingwood is gonna find out now).

You can only look at Wright's impact in the first game back at Carlton to see how things would have been easier. Unfortunately being fresh back from injury meant that he was never gonna be able to keep that up like he did in 2022.

So no captain (leadership), no #1 KPF (reliable target), young side (fitness). You can see how it could all play it's part to collectively cause that to happen.

Having said that to still be able to put the Pies to the sword like that was impressive and to score how we scored early on in the year without our #1 KPF is something a lot of people don't acknowledge. Particularly when we would have trained the entire pre-season with Wright being an integral part to the forward structure.

That Collingwood game had the same issue as most of the other bad losses. No reliable use off HB.

They tried Setterfield and Langford there that quarter without much luck and it’s still the biggest hole on the list.

Also once Moore went to Langford Essendon didn’t have a reliable forward target. (Weid played well to start the game but faded under the pressure)

That game in a nutshell showed how top heavy the team was and how it was extremely vulnerable in certain roles. (Hopefully the newbies McKay, Dursma, Goldy, Gresh, Caddy, Luoul and Roberts) can help patch some of those issues

That Collingwood game had the same issue as most of the other bad losses. No reliable use off HB.

They tried Setterfield and Langford there that quarter without much luck and it’s still the biggest hole on the list.

Also once Moore went to Langford Essendon didn’t have a reliable forward target. (Weid played well to start the game but faded under the pressure)

That game in a nutshell showed how top heavy the team was and how it was extremely vulnerable in certain roles. (Hopefully the newbies McKay, Dursma, Goldy, Gresh, Caddy, Luoul and Roberts) can help patch some of those issues
Depth maybe so

But Ridley, Redman, Martin and Mcgrath is pretty good use down back

Z.Reid was also spoken about as being a great kick by many on here draft time

Pies had the scoring end last and just didnt convert their scoring options in the first 3 quarters compared to us

That changed in the last in a full 360

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth maybe so

But Ridley, Redman, Martin and Mcgrath is pretty good use down back

Z.Reid was also spoken about as being a great kick by many on here draft time

I don’t think we’re going to agree on this.

I think Ridley is good. Martin could be good but didn’t seem comfortable there last year.

I trust neither Redman or Mcgarth as the primary user and would point to them as the main issue. If they were better this would be less of an issue.

They seem to be trying a few things out this preseason so hopefully one of the experiments works

Lewis Hayes is probably the only selection there that has any probative value in and of itself, will be interesting to get a look at how we use guys like Martin and Weideman though

I don’t think we’re going to agree on this.

I think Ridley is good. Martin could be good but didn’t seem comfortable there last year.

I trust neither Redman or Mcgarth as the primary user and would point to them as the main issue. If they were better this would be less of an issue.

They seem to be trying a few things out this preseason so hopefully one of the experiments works

Martin is becoming the most offensive player we have down back ie primary user

Ridley and Martin are far better than good. Theyre AA40 man squad type level players already, as is Redman. Im confident Mcgrath will be that, maybe as soon as this year

Our issue is our midfield and then front half, far more than personel in the back 6

If that back 6 played for Brisbane instead of their 6 in the GF, they wouldve won the flag

So I guess once again we look like absolute champions playing against Essendon and so did the Saints
we did play a better forward line against ourselves.

The plus side is Wright / Ridley / Draper will make us a better side but the truth is we are a side that still needs a few moving parts to be better and why the coach is hosing down any remarks about jumping up the ladder or winning a final.

The plus side is Wright / Ridley / Draper will make us a better side but the truth is we are a side that still needs a few moving parts to be better and why the coach is hosing down any remarks about jumping up the ladder or winning a final.
Cant win a final that far from the 8
Tempering is wise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back