Autopsy 2024 Rd 11 Blues eclipse Suns with roof closed

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 11 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant win the tackle count when we had the ball 100 times more than them
The tackle count shows we were getting to the ball first. This is what we want. The fact we had so many more possession also reflects this.

The tackle count shows we were getting to the ball first. This is what we want. The fact we had so many more possession also reflects this.
For all Hardwick's whining about tackles not being rewarded most were in close with multiple players locking the ball in. In watching the replay I don't think many calls on tackles were missed.

Kreuzer never had 25 disposals in a game.
Yeah… he had 24… and a bunch of games in the low 20s. While this is TDK’s best game ever in terms of possessions… the rest of his best are in the teens. There are so many areas where Tractor still owns TDK. Tractor was the prototype, TDK is the next generation and he has Tractor teaching him.

For all Hardwick's whining about tackles not being rewarded most were in close with multiple players locking the ball in. In watching the replay I don't think many calls on tackles were missed.

Did you actually watch his presser? No whining at all, very balanced (especially given it was immediately post game) and absolutely spot on commentary.

Clearly the coaches are confused (both Hardwick and Voss said so)

Just a diversion tactic by Hardwick to give the media something to focus on rather than Gold Coast falling short away from home yet again.

Sounded like it was a very average performance by the team let alone Motlop.

Must be very hard to succeed as a small forward in a forward line hardly getting any.

I think he better suited to crumbing and putting pressure on in the AFL team!
With toe then multiple hamstring meaning limited running and ball work wouldn't surprise me if he can in after the bye with block of VFL and training

Did you actually watch his presser? No whining at all, very balanced (especially given it was immediately post game) and absolutely spot on commentary.

Clearly the coaches are confused (both Hardwick and Voss said so)
I wonder if the umpires might be confused also.

Probably getting guidelines on relaxing HTB rules to let the game flow would make their job even harder. Wtf did I just sympathise with the umps.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've noticed a few posts re Fantasia.
First one to put my hand up and say I've been scathing on his output this year but some of his passes, especially the one to Harry, were outstanding.
Bullet like passes to the advantage of the leading forward. We just don't have enough of that.
If he can continue to build on that and get more of the ball then he'll be a dangerous option.

Always happy if a criticism I've had bites my butt off 'cos it means the club has benefited! LOL
Yes I also hard fantasia but I remind myself he not playing that deep small fwd role like Owies -finding himself further up the ground - but he doesn't look as sharp as I remember around inside 50 stoppages.

Don’t think Voss is thinking about games won or lost with or without Pitto in the team this year.

Coaches would be looking at how the team functions. On Sat we looked more dynamic moving the ball, dominated midfield (shutting out Rowell and Anderson) and applied pressure for the whole game.

Can’t say it was all due to TDK as solo ruck - we had some great ins Saad, Fogarty, Cowan and Williams firing on the forward line etc.

Certainly TDK flourished as solo ruck. Also Harry had a fantastic 3rd quarter and seems to benefit getting a spell in the ruck and up the ground.

Selectors will need to think whether TDK will need some relief or rest in the second half of the year.

Certainly sounds like they are. Mott's in the team after a good stint in the 2's will offer more to the team than some currently

I’m no Orazio fan but watching live Saturday I can see his role is quite high basically playing Cotters high high half forward role…can deliver the footy beautifully to a lead up target…

If we have every player fit and ready he’s depth but there are 3 boys that are unavailable/not ready to go so he stays in until they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no Orazio fan but watching live Saturday I can see his role is quite high basically playing Cotters high high half forward role…can deliver the footy beautifully to a lead up target…

If we have every player fit and ready he’s depth but there are 3 boys that are unavailable/not ready to go so he stays in until they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He got into 2 goal scoring positions which is pretty good for a small forward. If he kicked both goals everyone would be singing his praises.

He also doesn’t get in way of the key forwards attempting contested pack marks so he is ahead of Corey Durdin at the moment just on that alone.

I’m pretty comfortable playing Fanta until Motlop has the fitness and touch to contribute. Based on his reserves game on Saturday that is still a week or two away.

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
4 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
4 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
2 -
Mac Andrew (GCFC)
2 - Zac Williams (CARL)

Sure - but 4 free kicks for 3 quarters? The only way you would not question that count, if you where witches hats for the day, and not competing. Anyone that watched our game, would know that wasn’t the fact.

I’m still frustrated with what unfolded yesterday in this department.
Could see it coming with our first forward entry, Charlie cops a blatant push in the back, umps right there and….nothing to see here.

Don’t think Voss is thinking about games won or lost with or without Pitto in the team this year.

Coaches would be looking at how the team functions. On Sat we looked more dynamic moving the ball, dominated midfield (shutting out Rowell and Anderson) and applied pressure for the whole game.

Can’t say it was all due to TDK as solo ruck - we had some great ins Saad, Fogarty, Cowan and Williams firing on the forward line etc.

Certainly TDK flourished as solo ruck. Also Harry had a fantastic 3rd quarter and seems to benefit getting a spell in the ruck and up the ground.

Selectors will need to think whether TDK will need some relief or rest in the second half of the year.

Great post!

What we saw on Saturday was a backline that used the ball with speed.

A midfield that dominated the contest and some (not all) good kicks inside 50.

It was a very well rounded team display.

TDK was effective in the ruck and esp second efforts, but Pitto could add to rather than detract from the teams performance.

Voss and co. will be interested in what our best combination looks like against various opponents and we will need to ensure that TDK has plenty left in the tank for the end of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top of their game?
They're 3-2 in their last 5, with 2 of the wins coming against WC and North and the other against a depleted Cats (missing what? 6 of their best?) who aren't travelling well. Cats game was in Darwin, where GC had the luxury getting used to the conditions the week before in a training drill against one of the worst teams in the comp.
The other games were losses to Swans in Sydney and Lions in Brisbane, where they put up a combined 102pts.
GC are a reasonable team, but we should be able to beat them at Marvel, with the players we have coming back.

My head tells me that we should win this by 6+ goals, but my heart tells me it will be closer.
I wasn't far off. I said 6+ goals and we won by 29pts.
We were also pretty wasteful with opportunities, with 27 scoring shots to 18 and a couple of missed frees to Charlie in front of goal for pushes in the back by Mac Andrew (one was a goal anyway, but not to Curnow).
I feel we're on the way to getting back to our best.

We lost 4 of 6 with pitto in the team. Despite him playing quite well.

Won 5 out of 5 TDK on his own.

Is this just a coincidence?

Certainly a dilemma for the match committee.

Either way that felt like a statement game from TDK yesterday - he is a #1 ruck who can make the opposition ruck look like an ornamental statue out there. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to bring pitto back. But he is way too good for VFL.
Yep, TDK is becoming our barometer very quickly

We lost 4 of 6 with pitto in the team. Despite him playing quite well.

Won 5 out of 5 TDK on his own.

Is this just a coincidence?

Certainly a dilemma for the match committee.

Either way that felt like a statement game from TDK yesterday - he is a #1 ruck who can make the opposition ruck look like an ornamental statue out there. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to bring pitto back. But he is way too good for VFL.
I like a good stat, and THAT is a good stat!
Ironically, Witts won the hitouts fairly convincingly, but TDK clearly won the battle IMO.
Sweet isn't nearly the same level of opponent that Witts was, so I'd like to see TDK back it up with another solo performance.
Harry vs Finlayson as 2nd rucks would also be an interesting matchup.

Back