Opinion 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the afl trying to take advantage of the nrl being in Vegas.
Was an afterthought, those 8 teams will have a bye in the early part of the season.
They should have had every team playing next weekend.
So have I got this right? The Suns will be playing their second home and away game against us and we will be playing our first against them.

Yep, welcome to the fairness and equity that is the AFL.
They might welcome the break down the track a bit, but this could be in our favor for winning the opening game away against a team that was once tipped to be an improver. It should negate the traveling disadvantage, as any niggling injuries from that opening game against Richmond may rule players out, while we should be very fresh and raring to go!

Was an afterthought, those 8 teams will have a bye in the early part of the season.

Yeah trying to take advantage a week late after the NRL will be back in Australia, ******* idiots

They might welcome the break down the track a bit, but this could be in our favor for winning the opening game away against a team that was once tipped to be an improver. It should negate the traveling disadvantage, as any niggling injuries from that opening game against Richmond may rule players out, while we should be very fresh and raring to go!
I think I’d rather have a game as a team under our belt than come in fresh.

And couldn’t bring themselves to not have traditional Victorian heavyweights Carlton and Richmond play the first game of Round 1!!

They should have set it up as a TV bonanza and just played 9 stand alone games like the Big Bash - one after another and then start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Round One

FF: Murphy - Fogarty - Rankine
HF: Keays - Walker - Rachele
C: Sholl - Dawson - Jones
FOLL: O’Brien - Crouch - Laird
HB: Hinge - Worrell - Milera
FB: Michalanney - Butts - Borlase
INT: Smith - Berry - Pedlar - Burgess
SUB: Soligo
Keane for Borlase. Other than that yep thats the 23

AFL 2024: Every club’s best 23 for season opener​

ADELAIDE

Best 23 for Round 1

B
: J. Worrell, J. Butts, M. Michalanney

HB: B. Smith, M. Keane, W. Milera

C: C. Jones, J. Dawson, L. Sholl

HF: B. Keays, C. Burgess, J. Rachele

FF: L. Murphy, T. Walker, D. Fogarty

Foll: R. O’Brien, R. Laird, I. Rankine

INTER: M. Crouch, J. Soligo, L. Pedlar, M. Hinge

Sub: S. Berry

Notable absentees: R. Thilthorpe (knee), R. Sloane (eye), N. Murray (knee), H. Schoenberg (Achilles)

Round One

Unless he's still feeling his ankle, Soligo starts for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round One

Soligo needs to be in the starting 22, swap him for Sholl or Berry and let them start as sub.

Swap Borlase for Keane and I think you have nailed it.
Agreed. Wasn't sure if he'd been cleared yet but I guess by the time round one comes along it will have been a few weeks since his head knock so he should be available - hopefully he'll be as close to match fit as possible.
Unless he's still feeling his ankle, Soligo starts for mine.
I think he's unquestionably best 22 and would take Sholl's spot on the wing - but was taking a cautious approach assuming he's a bit underdone. Don't think Sholl's the right sub either so in that case probably McHenry comes in.

My round 1 team

Max Butts Worrell
Hinge Keane Milera
Jones Dawson Smith
Pedlar Walker Rachele
Rankine Fogarty Burgess

ROB Crouch Soligo

Laird Murphy Berry Keays.

Sub: Curtin

Emerg:
Nankervis Sholl McHenry Gollant

I have to admit, there's a part of me that thinks that this current batch might be the best blend of mids that we've had in decades (Dawson, Laird, Rachele, Rankine, Crouch, Berry, Soligo, Pedlar, Keays).

They might still not be our best overall midfield over that span. But the blend is so much more balanced with this unit. Between contested, speed, marking, skill, class, gut running, ball magnets, X-Factor and power we seem to have 1 or multiple of each type. If one or both of Curtin and Edwards can come on we would have the size element as well.

TBH it has me wondering if we might get to the end of the year, and for the first time, not be wondering which mid we should pay way overs for.

I have to admit, there's a part of me that thinks that this current batch might be the best blend of mids that we've had in decades (Dawson, Laird, Rachele, Rankine, Crouch, Berry, Soligo, Pedlar, Keays).

They might still not be our best overall midfield over that span. But the blend is so much more balanced with this unit. Between contested, speed, marking, skill, class, gut running, ball magnets, X-Factor and power we seem to have 1 or multiple of each type. If one or both of Curtin and Edwards can come on we would have the size element as well.

TBH it has me wondering if we might get to the end of the year, and for the first time, not be wondering which mid we should pay way overs for.

I think we actually have the best list we've had in decades at the moment in terms of balance.

My round 1 team

Max Butts Worrell
Hinge Keane Milera
Jones Dawson Smith
Pedlar Walker Rachele
Rankine Fogarty Burgess

ROB Crouch Soligo

Laird Murphy Berry Keays.

Sub: Curtin

Emerg:
Nankervis Sholl McHenry Gollant
Who is your 7th defender?

Once our list was settled I thought there were only 4 spots* up for grabs, assuming we did not get any more injuries. With the unfortunate injury to Thilthorpe, my Round One team is as follows;

Michalanney. Butts*. Worrell

Milera. Keane*. Hinge

Jones. Dawson. Soligo

Rachele. Walker. Keays

Pedlar. Fogarty. Burgess*

O’Brien. Interchange; Smith, Crouch, Murphy, Sholl*
Laird. Sub; Berry*
Rankine

1) I rate Keane above Borlase but it is a close call
2) Sholl has surprisingly jumped in front of a few others for a spot on the wing rotating with Soligo and Jones
3) Berry has also jumped the queue and may make the 22
4) Burgess gets the nod in front of Gollant but it could go either way.

Hopefully Curtin can be selected for Round 2 if he has a strong hit out in the Twos trial game.

Are there indications that Burgess has what it takes to make it at AFL level?

I always remember us drafting a super full forward who kicked hundreds of goals per year for SANFL Port, and when he started playing games for us, a certain boundary rider by the name of Kerley said that he couldn't see a single redeeming feature in his game. Didn't last long.

So, 124.55 in the VFL..... does it mean much?

I always remember us drafting a super full forward who kicked hundreds of goals per year for SANFL Port, and when he started playing games for us, a certain boundary rider by the name of Kerley said that he couldn't see a single redeeming feature in his game. Didn't last long.

As long as it’s not Himmelberg

I guess in the coming weeks we are going to find out.

For the record, there are plenty of forwards that have decent VFL records, but fail to translate that to AFL form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back