Prediction 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks extremely fit and will likely play midfield. Played extremely well in both practice matches. He's good for fantasy classic as his price will go up a fair bit and there's not many defender options that play mid. In terms of draft i'd hold on to him and see what sort of scores he puts up first few rounds.
Say no more

We'd be freaking crazy to let Conway go, like sackable offence to let a future AA RUCKMAN GO.
No doubt in my mind he'll get the starting ruck role this year. Think it's going to be a transition year and then handing it over full time as of 2025. I expect Rhys to either retire or just play VFL from that point on.
There's zero chance in the near future.

The only possibility I could see him leaving is if he and Edwards both become genuinely elite ruckman, and we have our own Gawn/Grundy scenario on our hands and have to make a choice between the two.

Even then, that's a pretty good problem to have.

Zuth SDK Kolo
Stewart J Henry Duncan
Holmes Atkins Tuohy
Close Cameron O Henry
Stengle Hawkins Miers

Stanley Blitz Danger

Bruhn Bowes Knevitt Dempsey / Neale

There's zero chance in the near future.

The only possibility I could see him leaving is if he and Edwards both become genuinely elite ruckman, and we have our own Gawn/Grundy scenario on our hands and have to make a choice between the two.

Even then, that's a pretty good problem to have.

You can bet your boots if that happens, that we'll adapt our structures better to take advantage of this. Gawn/Grundy was as much a problem of having 2 players who've made it their career to be the traditional no. 1 ruckman type. If Edwards starts hitting such a trajectory both our boys will be asked to work on other areas so they can compliment each other better.

You can bet your boots if that happens, that we'll adapt our structures better to take advantage of this. Gawn/Grundy was as much a problem of having 2 players who've made it their career to be the traditional no. 1 ruckman type. If Edwards starts hitting such a trajectory both our boys will be asked to work on other areas so they can compliment each other better.
To be honest though we need to be starting that now if we want Edwards to have a second position

I see a lot here picking Zuthrie in the back pocket the question for me is he really our best lockdown player for small forwards he gets turned inside out a bit in the role I prefer him playing the loose but that will likely fall to Stewart again.
I have a worrying feeling that we will play Bews.

I don’t think there was a moment in either practice match where either Mullin or Bews were not playing.

Think I'm ready to submit my meat tray.

FB: Henry Dekoning Atkins
HB: Kolo Stewart Holmes
M: Duncan Bowes Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: Stengle Hawkins Henry
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn Clark
B: Zuthrie Dempsey Touhy O'Connor
E: Mannah

Unless of course I've missed someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of the first practice match vs Carlton. Bews only played the last 10 minutes or so and Mullin wasn't in the ground that much.
Just going off my memory here.

I thought Mullin started v Blues and Bews came on late.

Bews then started v Essendon and Mullin came on maybe at half time.

I don’t think there would have been much of the 8 quarters where one of them wasn’t on the ground.

Maybe I’m way wrong… and I actually hope I am, because I’d prefer neither to play.

I’m just not sure we will go into the game without a lockdown small defender and even you mentioned above that Zuthrie isn’t that type of player.

As much as I’d like to think a MOC or Touhy will take that role (and they still may) both MOC + Touhy trained with the mids yesterday… and they both run around all over the place in recent games showing me that they are not going to immediately be set as lockdown backs, Touhy even spending time forward.

So I hope it’s just us keeping our powder dry a bit with those guys… but I’m not counting on it.

I hope Bews doesn’t play but I could see us potentially playing him and sending him to lockdown on Higgins.

It’s just one of the positions I’m unsure about.

I won’t be shocked if he is named.

It’s hard enough doing a best 23 without Bews… Me thinking he is half a chance to get a run makes the job even tougher.

Last edited:
Think I'm ready to submit my meat tray.

Foll: Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn Clark
B: Zuthrie Dempsey Touhy O'Connor
E: Mannah

Unless of course I've missed someone.
You have selected one too many players.

Need to cull one from the followers group or rearrange.

Although if the AFL allow us to play 19 on the ground I’ll happily take it.

Just going off my memory here.

I thought Mullin started v Blues and Bews came on late.

Bews then started v Essendon and Mullin came on maybe at half time.

I don’t think there would have been much of the 8 quarters where one of them wasn’t on the ground.

Maybe I’m way wrong… and I actually hope I am, because I’d prefer neither to play.

I’m just not sure we will go into the game without a lockdown small defender and even you mentioned above that Zuthrie isn’t that type of player.

As much as I’d like to think a MOC or Touhy will take that role (and they still may) both MOC + Touhy trained with the mids yesterday… and they both run around all over the place in recent games showing me that they are not going to immediately be set as lockdown backs, Touhy even spending time forward.

So I hope it’s just us keeping our powder dry a bit with those guys… but I’m not counting on it.

I hope Bews doesn’t play but I could see us potentially playing him and sending him to lockdown on Higgins.

It’s just one of the positions I’m unsure about.

I won’t be shocked if he is named.

It’s hard enough doing a best 23 without Bews… Me thinking he is half a chance to get a run makes the job even tougher.

I don't think the genuine 1 on 1 shutdown small defender is really a thing any more. Your defenders have to roll between players so you're just as likely not to be on that player at a crucial time.

In terms of defenders we historically have always picked 7. Clearly SDK, Henry, Stewart and Zuthrie are the first 4. Kolo will almost certainly be number 5.

I think Duncan has to be 6. We've got too many options forward to need him there and he's lost a yard of pace which makes him less suited to midfield.

Then I assume Holmes, O'Connor, Bowes and Tuohy rotating through there with one of the last 3 as sub is how we get the 7th defender.

I'll be surprised if Bews is picked. I think O'Connor can do what Bews does well better than Bews can do what O'Connor does well. And I don't know how both can play unless Kolo is dropped or there's an injury.

Team l would like to see named

FB: Kolo Dekoning Zuthrie
HB: Henry Stewart Holmes
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield Bruhn
B: Dempsey Atkins Moc Clark
E: Touhy

If we turn up as expected can’t see how we could loose

At home✅
Only Guth and Gary not available ✅
Saints haven’t won at KP in 11 tries ✅
Solid Pre season by all✅
Saints Backline looks suspect ✅

You have selected one too many players.

Need to cull one from the followers group or rearrange.

Although if the AFL allow us to play 19 on the ground I’ll happily take it.

Good pick up it felt off but i couldn't see my mistake. Corrected below.

B: Zuthrie Dempsey Touhy Clark
E: OConnor

The Mannagh thing is confusing me.

Not sure why we’d use pick 36 or whatever it was on a guy that’s 26 if we don’t have a role for him or want to play him.

But then they go playing him for 1.5 quarters in each match and it just seems that they don’t really wanna see him up against AFL players for a full games… which I find kinda weird because already know he is too good for the VFL, so what’s the point recruiting him and having him need to play VFL to prove himself.
I have a small indefinable hunch/hope that he and bowes played limited minutes in the practice match because they were already locks to an extent. I feel much worse about that thought having typed it out, but I'm still hoping because they both looked great

My side RD1

FB: J.Henry Dekoning Bews
HB: Holmes Kolo Stewart
M: Dempsey Duncan Blicavs
FF: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
INT: Atkins Zuthrie Bowes Clark
SUB:Mannah

UMMM Bad day for the Irish.

I’d be very happy if this is our side.

Status