2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zane looking a bit like a young Harris Andrews.

Jimmy Tunstill gets a lot of the ball at VFL level but he never seems to stand out with weapons.

Kalin Lane has looked pretty good the last 2 weeks.

Searching for positives - Ryan showing some skill handling the ball below his knees. Also seems to be covering the ground well.

Hard to know with Lyons. Working his a*** off. Clearly our best but we are being killed for pace on the outside. Not all his fault of course.

Jimmy Tunstill gets a lot of the ball at VFL level but he never seems to stand out with weapons.

Kalin Lane has looked pretty good the last 2 weeks.

That is my concern with Jimmy. I'm not sure what his strengths are. It looks like his attributes should be disposal rather than speed/breaking lines - but his disposal has left a bit to be desired. I've no doubt he has the capacity to massively improve though which is a good thing. And not even 21 yet!

Searching for positives - Ryan showing some skill handling the ball below his knees. Also seems to be covering the ground well.

Hard to know with Lyons. Working his a*** off. Clearly our best but we are being killed for pace on the outside. Not all his fault of course.

I think it’s pretty clear in the reserves we look to get the ball in Lyons hands as often as possible inflating his stats. Doesn’t get the same help in the seniors

As others have said Harry Sharp and Bruce Reville out is having a massive impact on this, we just can not cover their absence.

While this is true, the defending is still piss-poor even so. They don't seem to know their roles.
How many of the VFL top ups can train regularly with our team?

According to the QAFL board, QAFL clubs only get notified on a thursday evening when we're calling up players for the reserves.

So fair chance a few of the top ups get their role explained to them on the morning of the game, and may not have trained with the team at all during the week.

As others have said Harry Sharp and Bruce Reville out is having a massive impact on this, we just can not cover their absence.
Agreed - no point getting worked up about it, it is what it is. There are only so many players on the list and expecting top-ups to perform to the standard of a listed player is unrealistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is my concern with Jimmy. I'm not sure what his strengths are. It looks like his attributes should be disposal rather than speed/breaking lines - but his disposal has left a bit to be desired. I've no doubt he has the capacity to massively improve though which is a good thing. And not even 21 yet!
That was always the knock on him. Likened himself to Cerra in his draft year, but doesn't have the same quality of disposal. Sometimes he knows what the kick is to open up the game, but is not capable of executing the kick, and turns it over.

Agreed - no point getting worked up about it, it is what it is. There are only so many players on the list and expecting top-ups to perform to the standard of a listed player is unrealistic.
Yep, it is all about the AFL team, as long as we are developing players for senior footy all is OK, evidence is pretty good that we have players developing well in the reserves eg. Sharp/Reville/Brain/Morris, also can not expect the whole list to be potential AFL regulars, history and percentages make that obvious.

VFL Premierships are well below development re reserves goals.

How many of the VFL top ups can train regularly with our team?

According to the QAFL board, QAFL clubs only get notified on a thursday evening when we're calling up players for the reserves.

So fair chance a few of the top ups get their role explained to them on the morning of the game, and may not have trained with the team at all during the week.
Do the Suns operate under similar conditions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back