2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Torrent looks a decent size
He is, was sitting across the isle from him on the trip over to Perth.
ZZ was also on the flight.
Brandon Starcevich on the flight home, believe it or not!
Torrent is a good size for a big body mid, if he can build his inside game?

He is, was sitting across the isle from him on the trip over to Perth.
ZZ was also on the flight.
Brandon Starcevich on the flight home, believe it or not!
Torrent is a good size for a big body mid, if he can build his inside game?
I just had a look at lions.com and Torrent is listed as 184cm, not really a big bodied height, no weight listed.... strange, apparently it is to prevent body shaming, WTF laughable. :rolleyes:

I just had a look at lions.com and Torrent is listed as 184cm, not really a big bodied height, no weight listed.... strange, apparently it is to prevent body shaming, WTF laughable. :rolleyes:
He looked an inch or 2 taller than that, more around the 188cm at a guess.
But I am a bit of a short ass, so I am just guessing.

The opposition wasn’t particularly potent and transitioned quite poorly which made the task easier, however there were some good individual performances. That is probably the best way to judge VFL performances, how did the individual perform in contests and with the opportunities they had. In that regard:

Bruce Reville: lively and dangerous with a good sense of opportunity. Not afraid to go quickly. Some good midfield traits I thought. Looks to be a point of difference as a player.

Jimmy Tunstill: still a work in progress but looking like he will soon be above this level. Really looks like the midfielder he is now. Needs to work on disposal but certainly looks like the next mid to go up.

Reece Torrent: it will be good watching him develop over the next year or two. It seems like he has a hunger for the game and has a bit of awareness in the contest. A very good first game.

Logan Morris: he plays like a genuine key forward which is encouraging. Just some filling out and game craft and we will see what he can do.

Luke Lloyd: seems quit mobile and with some more positional experience he and Morris could develop into a strong duo post-Daniher.

Shadeau Brain: he does some impressive things and seems to be willing to attack on turnovers. Definitely showing something worth persevering with and developing.

Did not see the game today but noticed a few comments on Reece Torrent.
Fourth in disposals with 17 and 7 marks.
I have been waiting to see how he went at senior level.

Looks like a good effort first up.
Reece was in the rehab group all preseason right up until the Suns 6 quarter preseason game.
He had a playing strip on for that game but i left after the 4th quarter.
So not sure if he got a run or not.
Either way he would be a fair bit underdone at this stage.

Question marks on his lack of athleticism and speed. And undersized at 191cm to be a true KPP. Considered one of the top 2 or 3 marks in the Coates Talent League.

Draft range was thought to be late second round or later.
I know only 1 game of VFL footy but Logan Morris just looks like a born "footballer", we could have one here, looks like he reads the game and flight of the ball very well, smart with his body in a contest, didn't look slow or lacking athleticism and a bit of mongrel about him.

Luke Lloyd did less but looked very handy as well.

I will try not to get too excited though, I don't expect either of them to play any AFL footy this season, a good season of development in the VFL would be ideal.

Question marks on his lack of athleticism and speed. And undersized at 191cm to be a true KPP. Considered one of the top 2 or 3 marks in the Coates Talent League.

He really does play like a traditional KPP. Reminds me of Aaron Cornelius, but seems to have high football IQ and doesn't struggle collecting the footy off the ground either. Genuinely surprised at how good he's looked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know only 1 game of VFL footy but Logan Morris just looks like a born "footballer", we could have one here, looks like he reads the game and flight of the ball very well, smart with his body in a contest, didn't look slow or lacking athleticism and a bit of mongrel about him.

Luke Lloyd did less but looked very handy as well.

I will try not to get too excited though, I don't expect either of them to play any AFL footy this season, a good season of development in the VFL would be ideal.
Oh, I'm hopeful with both of them, but I don't know what to expect of them yet. Hoping both still have some growth left in them. Will need to change our style of forward 50 entries if they're both in the team.

In the immediate lead up to the draft most had him in the 25-35 range, so not exactly a slider but also not someone we jumped on super early (the club thought West Coast was a chance, though slight, with pick 30 as well). Limitations were definitely why he didn't go top 5 or anything after kicking bags two years running.

In the immediate lead up to the draft most had him in the 25-35 range, so not exactly a slider but also not someone we jumped on super early (the club thought West Coast was a chance, though slight, with pick 30 as well). Limitations were definitely why he didn't go top 5 or anything after kicking bags two years running.

You'd think his athleticism will be fine in an elite system if he applies himself. Get it to a good enough standard and his strengths will absolutely shine.

Brain played really well, looks like he could get a game this year.

Tunstill can find it but he’s lightweight and his disposal is hit and miss. Wouldn’t be rushing him into the side

Morris and Lloyd complimented each other well and looked natural footballers.

Smith did some nice things but needs to work on his ruck craft.

Lane hasn’t got it.

Torrent looked switched on at all times and has the size and ability to play AFL early.

Reville was good too, could get a game in the seniors ahead of Lohmann atm based off that game.

First half Lohmann was trying too hard. Just has to play simple. He can find it no problem but is just rushing all the time. There is a player there but he needs some confidence and consistent game time.

Brain played really well, looks like he could get a game this year.

Tunstill can find it but he’s lightweight and his disposal is hit and miss. Wouldn’t be rushing him into the side

Morris and Lloyd complimented each other well and looked natural footballers.

Smith did some nice things but needs to work on his ruck craft.

Lane hasn’t got it.

Torrent looked switched on at all times and has the size and ability to play AFL early.

Reville was good too, could get a game in the seniors ahead of Lohmann atm based off that game.

First half Lohmann was trying too hard. Just has to play simple. He can find it no problem but is just rushing all the time. There is a player there but he needs some confidence and consistent game time.

It’s hard to understand our thought process behind first drafting Lane and then keeping him on our list. He didn’t even ruck yesterday

Did he? He's always just looked like a bog average old school ruck with little talent from what I've seen

I think fitness holds him back more than anything. Not sure he's got the application for AFL level. Henry Smith's gone well and truly past him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back