Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:

Two questions.

What's the difference the MVP award Sharp won and the MVP award Addinsall won? I assume it's just Div I and DIV II MVP awards...

When will the U16 AA team be named?

West Australia 2007 DOB in Colts/PSA 2023 After Round 13

1-Jake Boniwell (EF/PSA)
2-Darcy Montgomery (S)

3-Matthew Becker (PT)
4-Blake Kelly (SD/PSA)
5-Basil Hart (PT)
6-Toby Whan (SF)

7-Marcus Cassidy (EP/PSA)
8-Millar Rank (SF)

9-Jimmy Aylmore (S/PSA)
10-Taj Longmuir (SF/PSA)
11-Wes Walley Jnr (S)
12-Jamie Sidebottom (SD)
13-Judd Marcello (WP)
14-Max Hansen-Knarhoi (CL/PSA)
15-Jadd Hill (P)

16-Peter Gioulis (SF)
17-Cooper Shord (P)
18-Harrison Heaton (SF)
19-Nicholas Clifton (PT)
20-Kaiden Summerell (EF)
21-Baxter Gray (P)
22-Peter Young (WP)
23-Lochlain Carpenter (WP)

24-Will York (PT)
25-Max Skerritt (SF/PSA)
26-Luke Carrello (EF)
27-Dale Sutherland (P/PSA)
28-Max McCullough (S)
29-Amon Ross (WP)
30-Sebastian Hewitt (WP/PSA)
31-Cooper Bewick (WP)
32-Fred Rodriguez (SF)
33-Matthew May (SF)
34-Cole Trinder (EP/PSA)

35-Tom Grylls (EF/PSA)

36-Luke Hallett (EP)
37-Matthew Petagna (EP/PSA)
38-Noah Midani (PT)
39-Lucas Santich (S)

40-Rhys Hards (WP)
41-Jacob Donald (SF)

42-Hudson Walker (S)
43-Deacon McGuire (EP/PSA)
44-Tyson McGuire (EP/PSA)
45-Rhama Evans (EF/PSA)
46-Boyd Fewson (WP)

47-Zane Gartrell (WP)
48-Jacob Farrow (WP)
49-Riaz Mohammad (EF)
50=William Amos (EP)

50=Jake Caton (EP)

50=Cale Scott (EF)
50=Charlie Cotter (CL/PSA)

Other players to keep an eye on - Oscar Willis (CL), Chase Stubbs (S), William Jenkinson (CL/PSA), Dylan Prance (S), Corey Ballantyne (EP), Joshua Hawes (EP/PSA), Lucas Cattalini (SF), Lachlan Gray (SD), Scott Rae (WP), Lachlan Birch (PT), Jake Tucker (S), Cassius Hill (P), Isaac Wittkuhn (P), Matthew Radojkovich (EF), Gonor Kuek (EP), George Stoney (CL/PSA), Nicholas Cameron (CL), Kade Smith (P), Riley Clark (EF), Jonah Klemke (WP), Lincoln Fairlee (PT), Campbell Johnston (CL), Oakleigh Mather (SD), Kylan Granland (WP), Dylan Scott (SD), Tom Oliver (SD), Will Ross (SD), Hayden Burt (S), David Whitby (EP), Liam Trott (S/PSA), Luke Sanders (S)

Votes M V Ave G Millar Rank (SF) 5 5 1.00 - Baxter Gray (P) 2 - 0.00 1 Cole Trinder (EP) 2 - 0.00 - William Amos (EP) 2 - 0.00 - Peter Gioullis (SF) 1 - 0.00 1 Peter Young (WP) 1 - 0.00 1 Jamie Sidebottom (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Luke Hallett (EP) 1 - 0.00 - Sebastian Hewitt (WP) 1 - 0.00 -

Last edited:
AA team is picked on the 20th

Would think 3-4 from Pool B at most. Though Tom Fry I think won the Pool B MVP last year and wasn't in the AA squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AA team named

12 from Northen academies and 2 from Tassie, so 14 from Pool B!

5 from the Suns, despite getting beaten pretty comfortably by the Lions.

Looks like some reputations built during u15 Schoolboys championships carried over as opposed to actual performance.

AA team named

12 from Northen academies and 2 from Tassie, so 14 from Pool B!

5 from the Suns, despite getting beaten pretty comfortably by the Lions.

Looks like some reputations built during u15 Schoolboys championships carried over as opposed to actual performance.

5 is an insane number for the Suns. If all 5 of those players continue to improve then the Suns are going to have some hard decisions come draft night in 2 years.

Also the Northern Academies are really beginning to show their worth. A good chunk of those 12 players likely would not be where they are now without the academies which only strengthens the overall player pool for the draft.

U16's Team for 2023.

Dyson Sharp, Beau Addinsall, Willem Duursma and Jai Murray and others named here.

Dyson Sharp, Beau Addinsall, Willem Duursma and Jai Murray and others named here.
That team can't be taken too seriously given the pool A teams VM, VC, SA, WA never actually played the pool B teams the Northern Academies, NT, Tasmania.

That team can't be taken too seriously given the pool A teams VM, VC, SA, WA never actually played the pool B teams the Northern Academies, NT, Tasmania.
I agree.

But, four of those QLD boys made the U15 AA team last year. And one of them was the MVP of the U15 championships.

Secondly, reading about the selection of players, the selectors only had to include the MVP of each academy/State team as an automatic inclusion. So any other Div 2 player selected, was selected on merit.

I agree.

But, four of those QLD boys made the U15 AA team last year. And one of them was the MVP of the U15 championships.

Secondly, reading about the selection of players, the selectors only had to include the MVP of each academy/State team as an automatic inclusion. So any other Div 2 player selected, was selected on merit.
Selected on merit?
How so when pool A never played pool B, it's a compromised AA team any way you slice and dice it.

Four of those QLD boys made the U15 AA team last year. And one of them was the MVP of the U15 championships.
Am I right in stating that Addinsall was named MVP for the U15 QLD team in 2022 and MVP for the Suns academy at the Pool B U16 championships this year? I know he was named in the AA team both years. I assume he's also going to play for the U17 QLD team as a bottom ager later this year.

Am I right in stating that Addinsall was named MVP for the U15 QLD team in 2022 and MVP for the Suns academy at the Pool B U16 championships this year? I know he was named in the AA team both years. I assume he's also going to play for the U17 QLD team as a bottom ager later this year.
No Idea. Bridge was named MVP of the tournament.

Addinsall was MVP of the QLD u15 side in 2022. Oscar Barry was MVP of the QLD Carnival and Bridge was the MVP of the National Championships. A lad called Matt Hoy was the players player of the QLD u15 side also, and is playing excellent senior footy for Labrador currently in the QAFL. He and Dylan Patterson are the only players in this age group that have made their senior QAFL debut so far, granted its harder to get picked at some clubs than others.

I don't expect any u16 eligible players to be picked for the QLD u17 team, even Addinsall and Annabel I wouldn't think will make it, as they are still a fair bit behind the kids that are 12 months older - there is a heap of talent in the 2006 born age group. The 2005 born GC class is obviously elite, but the Lions 2005 born crop has almost nobody with any draft prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back