Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Is that stand even that old?

Why does it need to be knocked down?
45 years old in 2027. The Olympic and Ponsford stands were younger when they were knocked down as was Waverly Park.

It is still a fairly good stand but the upper levels aren't exactly setup great for handling the crowds when full.

I know a new stand will be awesome but I’m failing to understand the justification for it. Probably be $1 billion+ and I’m not sure we’ll see a marked improvement in entry/exit, seating, viewing, facilities or capacity. Some of those matters could be addressed through a smart and innovative renovation. For example, capacity could be increased with rail seats/safe standing.

So unless there is a major safety or structural issue I’d rather not see this go ahead for the sake of replacing an only 35 year-old stand. Even if they could extend the lifetime by another 10 years it’d be a good idea to hold off on a full knockdown-rebuild IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They keep renovating the existing ground, how about knock it down and build a new stadium with state of the art facilities that wont require any renovations for 20-30 years?
The last renovations when they do it will have been over 20 years prior.

45 years old in 2027. The Olympic and Ponsford stands were younger when they were knocked down as was Waverly Park.

It is still a fairly good stand but the upper levels aren't exactly setup great for handling the crowds when full.
35 years old. The MCG wants to be the best stadium in the world. It will happen. Just a matter of when.

Tell McGowan to put those extra rows of seats up the back in to get capacity to 70k, take the $10m and give competing club members 50k seats. Easy.
Why, its never sold out for freo games or eagles matches even tho the have 100k members. Empty stands look crap.

The new Gabba could be ready by then.
a56ab39db6954d152c545625063be897

In terms of where... Adelaide gets my vote...

In terms of why... Its a strange issue. Sure its a bit dates but it still seems perfectly fine functionally and a waste to tear it down. I would even think a new stand would have a reduction in seats to cater for more corporate boxes/facilities which would be a shame. I don't even think the stands could be deepened much due to the train lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back