20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Tasmania are granted a license to become the 19th team in the AFL, you would imagine the AFL would like a 20th franchise sooner rather than later. Where does everyone think that 20th team would be located? I don't want a debate on the merits of having 20 AFL clubs, that is a discussion that has taken place in many other threads. I just think it looks increasingly likely that Tasmania are granted a license and a 20th license will be awarded shortly there after and I am curious as to where that will realistically be?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If Tasmania are granted a license to become the 19th team in the AFL, you would imagine the AFL would like a 20th franchise sooner rather than later. Where does everyone think that 20th team would be located? I don't want a debate on the merits of having 20 AFL clubs, that is a discussion that has taken place in many other threads. I just think it looks increasingly likely that Tasmania are granted a license and a 20th license will be awarded shortly there after and I am curious as to where that will realistically be?

Why is a better question.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the only logical places are a third Perth team or possibly a Canberra team. Im not sure what the AFL is thinking but I haven't heard them suggesting any potential new locations so I think that means we won't see a 20 th side until 2035 to 2040 at the earliest.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I said NT, not because I think it's the best place for it but it's the most likely. There seems to be a significant government push for it, and if there was a long term deal for the government to underwrite it you could very well see it happening.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I said NT, not because I think it's the best place for it but it's the most likely. There seems to be a significant government push for it, and if there was a long term deal for the government to underwrite it you could very well see it happening.
Haven't heard the AFL show any interest in a NT team though.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wont be surprised if there is no second team at all.
odd number of teams will solve the second bye issue the AFLPA want
The AFL would wouldn't want an uneven amount of teams long term allthough I know Gill said recently 19 will be right for a while once a Tassie team enters the competition.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They'll go to 20 eventually because 10 games a week = more $$$

Canberra in my view makes more sense than the other options

Canberra will have over 500K people by 2030, has a good stadium already and if we want a national comp surely you'd want the cap in the comp.
Then GWS loses its second home though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m talking more about career longevity, injury management etc.

Only 6 games in the city you live in (Darwin) would be a tough grind.

Tassie is a beautiful place by the way😂

I’d be going for a third WA side.
It's only 6 more plane trips than the other non-Vic sides

Could always bump up the Darwin games to 7 or 8

Would be nice to have a team in Northern Australia where a lot of the best talent comes from

Yeah Tassie is lovely but how cold...

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well hope you are right,the crowds haven't really improved there yet.

I actually think their crowds would improve from moving out of Canberra. I think it gives the perception of Canberra being a lifeboat they could switch to at any time.

If GWS still need to sell games, Newcastle just upgraded their stadium to AFL standard. Could play only one or two games there, so they'd still be ramping up their number of Sydney games.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My overly optimistic hope is about the whispers that the GWS deal in Canberra only being extended for five years.

There was a brief snippet by BT in a broadcast, and somebody on the GWS board mentioned they heard the same on the radio, but I haven't actually found anything in writing confirming it yet. It may have just been a gaff or two, but I'm an optimist.

GWS was going hard for a 10-year deal, it was pretty much expected. You'd think they also would've announced it at one of Manuka games if a 10-year deal had been struck. A five-year deal would mean Canberra isn't contracted to host from the 2028 season, which is when you'd expect Team 20 to start looking at joining.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's only 6 more plane trips than the other non-Vic sides

Could always bump up the Darwin games to 7 or 8

Would be nice to have a team in Northern Australia where a lot of the best talent comes from

Yeah Tassie is lovely but how cold...
Not as cold as a lot of big sports teams in places overseas and no colder than Canberra.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Third WA for me. If at all.

I honestly think 19 works. 20 will completely drain the talent pool, unless the list sizes are cut to 45 and the reserve competition is brought back in, with supp lists reintroduced.

Back