20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters
May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
St Helens R.F.C. | Adelaide T'Birds
I have made a nice concept for Canberra (I also have a Darwin concept called the crocs with orange green and blue as their colours with a blue base and orange belt with green borders) my Canberra team who I have called the Stallions incorporate a duel blue colour scheme with white the jersey had a blue line through the middle with white outline and a horse in the middle and the side panels are the same

View attachment 1558445View attachment 1558446View attachment 1558447View attachment 1558448View attachment 1558449

What app or website did you use to make this?

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am I the only one who HATES the idea of adding more teams to an already over-saturated competition?

A 1/20 chance of winning a Premiership. No thanks.
This is why I think the league must cap itself at 20 teams MAX, no matter how big membership bases are in 50 years, just build bigger stadiums. Imagine following American sports with 30 plus teams in a league. Every living person would have the odds of seeing a fraction over 2 championships in their life time if all things were equal. But the reality is, many will go their whole life time going through all the emotions, and die never seeing a win at all. Nah, F that

If there is a 20th team, it will occur in a football popular state with strong support. Have always said WA could support a 3rd team, eventually years down the road SA could possibly as well. Cannot see a Canberra team with both GWS and Sydney existing. You will have two teams with low support in a non AFL state. The AFL stuffed up by putting GWS in the wrong part of Sydney, or not giving Canberra a run in my opinion.

Northern Territory would remain the last location without a team, it would be nice to see a team there. But for a Capital City, Darwins population is small as and cannot see them being able to host a team for at least two decades or more. BBut probably much longer with its slow growth. Whether WA or Canberra becomes a 20th team, any further expansion beyond that would probably would have to come at the expense of the weakest Melbourne based club. Which I would not be against, even though I know my own team would be at risk itself. Will make the Melbourne market a fraction less diluted money and fan wise.

Personally long term I would like to see Tassie, Canberra, WA3, SA3 included, one less Melb Team + GWS relocated or rebranded for Canberra should they continue to struggle membership and financially. Cap the league at 20 teams MAX.

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was going for a horse team because Canberra has named horse teams and went with colours an AFL team doesn't use yet, I don't think it would be much of a problem if they disagree they will have to suck it up
I actually like your design. I like it when new teams actually come up with a fresh/new color combo. Thought the new Dolphins NRL team was pretty plain and tried, no imagination or variety. Green is my favorite color, so it would be good to see a Tasmanian team run with those colors. GWS brought in the Orange which no else one had.

I was trying to create an pretend logo myself a few months ago for a made up WA3 team when I was bored. Called them the Perth Sharks, but they had similar colors to the Cronulla Sharks with the pale blue, black and white. I did experiment with a few other colors though to try and come up with cool combos that no teams have. But ones that are easy to work with for alternate designs such as away strips, indigenous strips etc. Wish I kept the designs, as I upgraded my gaming PC and did not keep them, otherwise would share.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
This is why I think the league must cap itself at 20 teams MAX, no matter how big membership bases are in 50 years, just build bigger stadiums. Imagine following American sports with 30 plus teams in a league. Every living person would have the odds of seeing a fraction over 2 championships in their life time if all things were equal. But the reality is, many will go their whole life time going through all the emotions, and die never seeing a win at all. Nah, F that

If there is a 20th team, it will occur in a football popular state with strong support. Have always said WA could support a 3rd team, eventually years down the road SA could possibly as well. Cannot see a Canberra team with both GWS and Sydney existing. You will have two teams with low support in a non AFL state. The AFL stuffed up by putting GWS in the wrong part of Sydney, or not giving Canberra a run in my opinion.

Northern Territory would remain the last location without a team, it would be nice to see a team there. But for a Capital City, Darwins population is small as and cannot see them being able to host a team for at least two decades or more. BBut probably much longer with its slow growth. Whether WA or Canberra becomes a 20th team, any further expansion beyond that would probably would have to come at the expense of the weakest Melbourne based club. Which I would not be against, even though I know my own team would be at risk itself. Will make the Melbourne market a fraction less diluted money and fan wise.

Personally long term I would like to see Tassie, Canberra, WA3, SA3 included, one less Melb Team + GWS relocated or rebranded for Canberra should they continue to struggle membership and financially. Cap the league at 20 teams MAX.

If there ever is a 3rd SA team to be considered - it must be the mighty South Adelaide Panthers

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cannot see a Canberra team with both GWS and Sydney existing. You will have two teams with low support in a non AFL state.

A Canberra team is possibly the best thing that could happen for GWS.

The Giants with a toe in Canberra prevents them from growing in Western Sydney. It currently looks like they've got a lifeboat (and everybody's suggestion to relocate them grows that perception). GWS needs to cut the Canberra cord to actually be successful in Sydney.

You will have two teams with low support in a non AFL state.

I'll agree we're not an AFL state in the traditional sense, but we're not a rugby state either.

But how do you define low support? We have more AFL fans than Hobart or Darwin. Better crowds than Darwin, Western Sydney or Hobart. And that's with a usual annual sell out capping our crowds.

Back in 1992, they conducted a survey about an AFL team in Canberra. 51% said they'd go to games, 12% said they'd go to most or all games. Obviously, a very, very, very old survey, but if those numbers were the same with today's population, we'd averaged 60k crowds.

Interest has most probably waned per capita, but we only need those numbers to be at a third of that and we'd get very decent crowds.

A Canberra AFL team would get higher crowds than the Raiders or Brumbies. It would get higher crowds than GWS or the Gold Coast. And I believe that it would eventually get higher crowds than Tasmania.

Jun 23, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA dodgers LA Kings Melbourne Aces
I don't think WA need 3rd team but we need a team with green and gold colours with some white ofc I've made concepts for a WAFL expansion team but for WA it could easily be implemented just called them the boomers or something or go with something else Aussie

Glenelg-2021 (10).jpg
Glenelg-2021(1) (10).jpg
Glenelg-2021(2) (8).jpg

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Am I the only one who HATES the idea of adding more teams to an already over-saturated competition?

A 1/20 chance of winning a Premiership. No thanks.
There is no push from anyone in Canberra for a team so if there is to be a 20th team it could yet be a long way off.

When Port were granted a 17th licence in 2004, the AFL spent the next two years trying to force a merger. It is unlikely, but not out of the question, that the next CEO may also wish to entice a merger and keep it at 18 teams. There would need to be a near-disaster at at least one of GC/GWS/Nth/StK for the AFL to adopt that position for the clubs involved to consider it.

I.e. GWS finish bottom two in 23/24/25 crowds are 3k, North or Saints also finish bottom two, sack Clarke/Lyon, there is a board spill and the AFL offers $$$, salary cap concessions, choice of both lists, to play eight games in Homebush (+ away v Swans), and eight or nine in Melbourne (inc three home) as West Sydney Saints/Kangaroos.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
The 20th team could easily be WA3 but that would be a slap in the face to Canberra AFL supporters.

A 3rd WA team would also start the dialogue for a 3rd team in other states and then the petitions will follow.

Canberra needs to get a team in before WA3 otherwise it’ll miss out completely.

Jun 23, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA dodgers LA Kings Melbourne Aces
If Canberra doesn't get an AFL team that is an L, they will be solidified as a rugby state even though at one point they were a footy state but the AFL missed that opportunity in the 80s, atm they are mixed but could easily become a footy state

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Canberra doesn't get an AFL team that is an L, they will be solidified as a rugby state even though at one point they were a footy state but the AFL missed that opportunity in the 80s, atm they are mixed but could easily become a footy state

Interesting concept.
If I am interpolating your statement correctly then you we could call the new AFL team
"Canberra New State" and a push for statehoodness.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I.e. GWS finish bottom two in 23/24/25 crowds are 3k, North or Saints also finish bottom two, sack Clarke/Lyon, there is a board spill and the AFL offers $$$, salary cap concessions, choice of both lists, to play eight games in Homebush (+ away v Swans), and eight or nine in Melbourne (inc three home) as West Sydney Saints/Kangaroos.
That’s much better than what McGuire suggested for North playing 11 in TAS and 11 in Melbourne.

I always thought “Western Sydney Bulldogs” would work as a merger and they wouldn’t even have to change their club song. But they’re going fine so it’d be the Saints or North instead.

I don’t think anyone’s going anywhere, though.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
That’s much better than what McGuire suggested for North playing 11 in TAS and 11 in Melbourne.

I always thought “Western Sydney Bulldogs” would work as a merger and they wouldn’t even have to change their club song. But they’re going fine so it’d be the Saints or North instead.

I don’t think anyone’s going anywhere, though.
Saints have not won a flag in 56 years and North 23. A what point, if you are offered the choice of players from two lists, and the future advantage of an academy, might you be tempted to takeover the Giants?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saints have not won a flag in 56 years and North 23. A what point, if you are offered the choice of players from two lists, and the future advantage of an academy, might you be tempted to takeover the Giants?
It is tempting.

West Sydney Saints doesn’t sound too bad.

But GWS aren’t going anywhere this decade or the next, it’s a generational investment.

Will it pay off? Maybe not but they’re not going to pull the plug in the next few years, of that I’m sure.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It is tempting.

West Sydney Saints doesn’t sound too bad.

But GWS aren’t going anywhere this decade or the next, it’s a generational investment.

Will it pay off? Maybe not but they’re not going to pull the plug in the next few years, of that I’m sure.
Merging is not pulling the plug. It is increasing the chances of success.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
GWS aren’t going anywhere this decade or the next, it’s a generational investment.

Yes.

It depends how you do your accounting to say whether it's a success already.
The facts are that GWS are in place at this very moment which is a quantum step above
any 19th or 20th teams position.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I.e. North or Saints also finish bottom two, sack Clarke/Lyon, there is a board spill

The board will have little to do with it. It's the members that will have the final say.

and the AFL offers $$$, salary cap concessions, choice of both lists, to play eight games in Homebush (+ away v Swans), and

You wouldn't make it too favorable or the voting clubs will never agree to a relocation/merger under those terms.

eight or nine in Melbourne (inc three home) as West Sydney Saints/Kangaroos.

Eight or nine games in Melbourne will never happen. As such, the members will never agree to it. You've got more hope of a merger in Melbourne.

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hows about a team in Hobart and a team in Launceston..... :think::think::think:
Population mainly.

Hobart has like 200,000 people.

Launceston only has 70,000.

The other half of the Tasmanian population is scattered about the isle. One team will take some time to become sustainable, though it really depends how much Tasmanians get behind it. I feel it will be a quicker and stronger growth than the GWS and GC franchises.

I have no idea what Tasmania infrastructure is like either, to get people around.

But two teams will probably stretch it to much. Will need a much bigger population in and around Launceston for it to work. Definitely a future option, but maybe not until like 2050 at least. Even then, everyone in Tasmania will probably be to invested in the other team, and a second one will result in just another GWS with not enough support. The idea of two teams and a new rivalry would no doubt be in the AFLs would love to happen list in the very long term.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Population mainly.

Hobart has like 200,000 people.

Launceston only has 70,000.

The other half of the Tasmanian population is scattered about the isle. One team will take some time to become sustainable, though it really depends how much Tasmanians get behind it. I feel it will be a quicker and stronger growth than the GWS and GC franchises.

I have no idea what Tasmania infrastructure is like either, to get people around.

But two teams will probably stretch it to much. Will need a much bigger population in and around Launceston for it to work. Definitely a future option, but maybe not until like 2050 at least. Even then, everyone in Tasmania will probably be to invested in the other team, and a second one will result in just another GWS with not enough support. The idea of two teams and a new rivalry would no doubt be in the AFLs would love to happen list in the very long term.
251,000 in Hobart and 105,000 in Launceston are the latest population figures so definitely not enough for two teams.

Back