20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of NZ, I saw this article recently. Does anybody know if AFL is on fta over in NZ? I think that's the first point of reference for the AFL if anything, getting the footy on tv internationally and even paying the networks to show it in some instances.

Not that i think NZ is a plausible option, but you might catch a few overseas fans and some might have some good money behind them to promote the game or get involved.

I think NZ is by far the biggest TV and merchandise market left. And kiwis would eventually get on board with AFL providing

1. the AFL stack the deck massively in favour of them… early success breeds interest. And kiwis love beating Aussies, let alone at their own sport

2. the team rotated around the country like a Tassie team would between Hobart and Launceston. Otherwise risks becoming a one city team

Would have to almost a national team wearing national colours of black and silver.

That might kill off any option for a second Kiwi team down the track but better to have one team dominating a market then a team start and then fold

A kiwi team would be a high risk, high reward scenario

I think the AFL are more likely to go with a Canberra team and then turn the Suns into a combined Nth QLD and NT team

Then the game is truly national

I think NZ is by far the biggest TV and merchandise market left. And kiwis would eventually get on board with AFL providing

1. the AFL stack the deck massively in favour of them… early success breeds interest. And kiwis love beating Aussies, let alone at their own sport

2. the team rotated around the country like a Tassie team would between Hobart and Launceston. Otherwise risks becoming a one city team

Would have to almost a national team wearing national colours of black and silver.

That might kill off any option for a second Kiwi team down the track but better to have one team dominating a market then a team start and then fold

A kiwi team would be a high risk, high reward scenario

I think the AFL are more likely to go with a Canberra team and then turn the Suns into a combined Nth QLD and NT team

Then the game is truly national

The Suns will not leave the Gold Coast. It won’t be too long before the city has a population of 1m and it has a stronger Aussie Rules culture than any other region in Qld. The club has been managed, abysmally, for a decade. Let’s give it another 10 years or so because I believe it won’t even be up for debate when (if) they start experiencing some success.

The Suns will not leave the Gold Coast. It won’t be too long before the city has a population of 1m and it has a stronger Aussie Rules culture than any other region in Qld. The club has been managed, abysmally, for a decade. Let’s give it another 10 years or so because I believe it won’t even be up for debate when (if) they start experiencing some success.

Agree with that, grassroots level is killing it up there and having watched underage games they will likely have 5 top 30 picks coming straight out of the gold coast in the next two years, some real quality.

Agree with that, grassroots level is killing it up there and having watched underage games they will likely have 5 top 30 picks coming straight out of the gold coast in the next two years, some real quality.

For sure, their junior participation rates are the highest in the state and the population there is booming. The continual poor performances of the Suns and the Lions resurgence has really stunted the GCS’s growth potential. If they start playing finals over the next few years then look out. They’ll never be a huge club in the AFL world but I have no doubt they’ll start getting bigger crowds and will easily be big brother when compared to the Titans.

Aussie rules has truly defeated rugby league then ✊⚡

WA3…. from the mayor of Bunbury.

6239f2e6091bdbf07aa715909d0b9378.jpg

cf5a1e883ced03c735490282fd4f9d11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South West Sharks would be the best name for them surely, but Joondalup Falcons would be tempting for WA3 because they have Optus and a strong WAFL reserves team ready to go.

I fear the AFLs hard on for stadiums will tempt them to go WA3 who have Optus rather than Canberra which actually expands the national market rather than redistributes it (WA is already footy converted with representation).

If that’s the case it won’t be based down south. They’d want WA3 using Optus. Maybe they could play 1 game up north and 1 down south.

South West Sharks would be the best name for them surely, but Joondalup Falcons would be tempting for WA3 because they have Optus and a strong WAFL reserves team ready to go.

I fear the AFLs hard on for stadiums will tempt them to go WA3 who have Optus rather than Canberra which actually expands the national market rather than redistributes it (WA is already footy converted with representation).

If that’s the case it won’t be based down south. They’d want WA3 using Optus. Maybe they could play 1 game up north and 1 down south.
All of the arguments people have against Tassie are tenfold against WA3. Pass.

We all hope it’s Canberra. However, I agree that WA3, generating 4 additional derbies and 11 extra games at Optus per season, will be incredibly tempting for the AFL.

Canberra or the nt deserve it first WA can bugger off they can be team 22 or whatever need to give Canberra it nt the license first
I know people, including Eddie McGuire, talk about NT as the next team after Tasmania, but Canberra is ahead of NT in terms of population, crowds and economic demographics. The only threat to Canberra entering as Team 20 is WA3

Tassie, Canberra, and after that, who knows. If Tassie comes in 2027, I’m guessing 2032 at the earliest for team 20. By mid 2040s who knows what the AFL will look like in terms of how clubs are performing off field etc.

We’ve all suggested tonnes of expansion options but it’s way too soon to be thinking beyond team 20. The AFL hasn’t commented on a 20th team yet but I’m sure they’ve thought about it.

Tassie, Canberra, and after that, who knows. If Tassie comes in 2027, I’m guessing 2032 at the earliest for team 20. By mid 2040s who knows what the AFL will look like in terms of how clubs are performing off field etc.

We’ve all suggested tonnes of expansion options but it’s way too soon to be thinking beyond team 20. The AFL hasn’t commented on a 20th team yet but I’m sure they’ve thought about it.
Completely agree. Note that the new 10 year GWS deal with our ACT Government for 3 games expires in 2032, so the earliest Canberra will have a team if we are Team 20 is 2033. I think after that it will be a long time for the next round of expansion, with some of the Victorian teams selling 2-3 games to the regions that don’t have any AFL teams

Completely agree. Note that the new 10 year GWS deal with our ACT Government for 3 games expires in 2032, so the earliest Canberra will have a team if we are Team 20 is 2033. I think after that it will be a long time for the next round of expansion, with some of the Victorian teams selling 2-3 games to the regions that don’t have any AFL teams

Contracts can be altered by mutual agreement.

Think I said in another thread, if the AFL can find a way to manufacture a 20 team league with Tassie, Canberra, WA3 and an increased (but not full time) presence in the NT then that should see the competition set up beautifully for decades.

Think I said in another thread, if the AFL can find a way to manufacture a 20 team league with Tassie, Canberra, WA3 and an increased (but not full time) presence in the NT then that should see the competition set up beautifully for decades.
Well the only way I could see that happening is Canberra Kangaroos and WA3 is team 20. I don’t see North being relocated, nor GWS because they’re a generational investment.

I’d love to see Canberra come in around 2033 but my concern is that if GWS doesn’t work out by early 2040s then they get shipped off to Canberra. Which means if that’s their plan and they want team 20 by early 2030s then they’ll look to WA3 especially with the dangling carrot of Optus.

Even longer term than that they could reform Gold Coast into East Coast covering Sunshine and Gold Coast.

Let things run for 20 years and by mid 50s set up a northern Australia team and one of Newcastle or New Zealand for team 22. If both are viable then add SA3. WA4 might be more tempting, to have a team down south but the SA market is probably going to be strong enough to bring another team in by then.

Not sure the AFL should ever go beyond 24 teams and 24 rounds with a top 12. 2x McIntyre final six with winners playing off in the GF. Beyond 24 teams you’d surely need to consider divisions or conferences.

Last edited:
Back