20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is a better question.
19 teams makes a bye every week. Each team will have to have 2 byes a season to keep the number of games each has level. Someone will get a bye in round 1 or 2 which simply slows their start to the season & does not help with fatigue management. Someone will get a bye on the last game of the season too, if they play finals they will have a 2 week break if week keep a bye as now (that will probably go I suspect). None of this is fatal, but its not good for the teams involved.
Team 20 in 28 too. Either WA3 or Canberra.
Of course there is the option of mergers to keep at 18 teams. (Freemantle Eagles or Essendon Blues?)

You'd have to think Canberra.

If the question is which team will have more on field success then I'd go the other way and say NT.

Off-field, I'd agree. Four times the population of Darwin, more money, it seems like Canberra should easily win that one.

On-field, Canberra is next to a huge footy factory. 39 AFL players from Canberra and SNSW.

Can't find a current list, but the NT always seems to have fewer than 20. That'd get a boost with a team (as would Canberra's), but I'd say a Canberra team should still have greater depth with local talent.

The idea of GWS playing 11 games in Sydney and 11 in Canberra is too extreme, but something less extreme might make sense.
For GWS one away game in each of WA, SA, Qld and 1 or 2 Vic (every second year in Tassie from 28 - yeh!). Thats 5 games "interstate" and leaves 17 games to split between Sydney and Canberra. Say 10 home in Sydney, 7 Canberra, that could be a strong way to build up from where we are now. (there will always be an away in Sydney too so that get you to 11 in Sydney overall).

The bye in 2028 (assuming we dont get 20th team) is likely to add to the season length to cover byes (or its fewer games per club) ... hmm 19 does not work. 2 new teams in 28 makes sense.

But what's the incentive for half the teams to play their home games at gws's home ground? Other than 4 points down the drain because they'll more likely lose a game they would have won if it were at home.

But what's the incentive for half the teams to play their home games at gws's home ground? Other than 4 points down the drain because they'll more likely lose a game they would have won if it were at home.

Are you stuck on the hoary old (VFL) version of a home game OR is travel the issue?

Using the side door over a gala opening.
I understand where you are coming from

But there is a symbiosis between mens and women’s footy at the grass roots level now.

If a Tassie team came into the AFLW a few years back the funding that would have gone to those clubs would have reinvigorated footy in Tasmania and would have benefited boys and girls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of Canberra and N.T

Which one would be more successful?

Terms of crowds, memberships, profit etc?
Apples and Oranges .... Brand of NT ironically would be a much easier sell. Obviously the financial structure and fixturing would have to be unique compared to most other AFL clubs.... Canberra is already identified by an NRL club and a 3rd of an AFL club. The Canberra/SCG option for GWS is appealing to me. Many younger Canberra residents finally gravitate to Sydney......Maybe Homebush should just be a training venue.... Olympic Park in Sydney has a few characteristics of the old VFL Park.....

When AFL gave Tasmania the 19th team, they said the game was finally national! Hello - what about NT and ACT?
Totally agree.

I don't get this obsession with 20; why does it have to stop at 20?

ACT and NT should be part of the equation of expansion, covering all states/territories.

2nd Brisbane or NQ as well. 2 teams each in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney sounds good, but a NQ team also sounds good because of the future potential of Cairns/Mackay/covers major geo area.

Or bugger it, 2nd Brisbane, NQ, and 3rd Perth.

Or Northern Crocs (if done right, 14-15 games a year up north, some sold home games from Vic clubs), 3rd Perth, 3rd Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Canberra.

24 endgame.

Totally agree.

I don't get this obsession with 20; why does it have to stop at 20?

ACT and NT should be part of the equation of expansion, covering all states/territories.

2nd Brisbane or NQ as well. 2 teams each in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney sounds good, but a NQ team also sounds good because of the future potential of Cairns/Mackay/covers major geo area.

Or bugger it, 2nd Brisbane, NQ, and 3rd Perth.

Or Northern Crocs (if done right, 14-15 games a year up north, some sold home games from Vic clubs), 3rd Perth, 3rd Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Canberra.

24 endgame.
I get it that the AFL needs to expand slowly and prudently, and that after Team 20 in the 2030s, it will take longer for the next stage of expansion.

In an ideal world, you would have fewer Victorian teams and more teams in other states, including in a couple of places you mentioned. However, I think no Victorian clubs will merge or relocate - the best you can hope for is that they sell games to regional secondary markets to increase the exposure and markets.

"Looking at regional growth, all states and territories are expected to experience growth in their populations. The ACT is expected to have the highest population growth rate, with an anticipated increase of 18 per cent from 467,000 in 2022 to 550,000 in 2033."

"Looking at regional growth, all states and territories are expected to experience growth in their populations. The ACT is expected to have the highest population growth rate, with an anticipated increase of 18 per cent from 467,000 in 2022 to 550,000 in 2033."

Thanks for that. Convenient that the measurement comes out the year GWS is no longer contracted to Canberra.

Throw in the NSW suburbs and we've definitely got a big enough base to support a team.

Also worth noting that the ACT has been the only jurisdiction undercounted by estimates before the past two censuses, so wouldn't surprise me if it grows even quicker.

Back