20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get it that the AFL needs to expand slowly and prudently, and that after Team 20 in the 2030s, it will take longer for the next stage of expansion.

In an ideal world, you would have fewer Victorian teams and more teams in other states, including in a couple of places you mentioned. However, I think no Victorian clubs will merge or relocate - the best you can hope for is that they sell games to regional secondary markets to increase the exposure and markets.
Yes, I think the ideal competition would’ve been:

7 VIC, 3 WA, 3 SA, 2 QLD, 2 NSW, 1 each TAS, ACT, NT.

Out of Canberra and N.T

Which one would be more successful?

Terms of crowds, memberships, profit etc?
Canberra has a far greater population, bigger corporate support, closer to VIC/NSW fans for travelling.

Only advantage NT might have is plenty of Fed Govt funding under the guise of indigenous sport development.

Fox’s analysis of who should be the 20th team. Essentially WA3 vs Canberra, with WA3 favoured.

Actually no valid analysis - quotes region populations NOT city populations.
To the people who look at Perth3 because it technically has the population then remember that is the GWS concept.
You cannot be anti GWS and pro Perth3 simultaneously.

Fox’s analysis of who should be the 20th team. Essentially WA3 vs Canberra, with WA3 favoured.

Logical, obvious and common sense conclusion.
In short, if the AFL wants a zero-risk option, then nothing can touch a 3rd Perth team in any way, shape or form.
If the AFL wants to pursue another high risk expansion option which might cost $300 million over a 15 to 20 year period, then Canberra is a fantastic option.
Having said that, Canberra's estimated population growth rate over the next 50 years or so, definitely keeps Canberra in the picture (certainly miles and miles ahead of Darwin).

Logical, obvious and common sense conclusion.
In short, if the AFL wants a zero-risk option, then nothing can touch a 3rd Perth team in any way, shape or form.
If the AFL wants to pursue another high risk expansion option which might cost $300 million over a 15 to 20 year period, then Canberra is a fantastic option.
Having said that, Canberra's estimated population growth rate over the next 50 years or so, definitely keeps Canberra in the picture (certainly miles and miles ahead of Darwin).
Yes, always believed that it’s between WA3 and Canberra for the 20th team location

Nothing an interstate fan loves more then “kill off a few Victorian teams” over 50% of the talent drafted is from Vic lol

Just because over 50% of the kids drafted are Vic, doesn’t mean they are all talented. How many of them end up being space fillers.

Lower end draft picks for all clubs have a bias towards kids in the state where the team is located, to reduce a ‘go home factor’ with the kid.

And with more than 50% of the teams being in Vic, it results in so many Vic kids being drafted as space fillers compared to kids from outside Vic, who might be similarly talented or better.

Last edited:

“The history of the AFL is we have had five or six years where we’ve had an uneven number of teams and have gone from 12 to now 19,” McLachlan said.

Sorry Gill, but first we have to play Mr Nerdy AFL Tables Fact Checker, because there have been 14 VFL-AFL seasons with an odd number of teams - though it was not always by choice.

The last was in 2011, when Gold Coast debuted a year before GWS, but the league grew to 18 clubs by 2012.

Between 1991-94 there were 15 teams, after Adelaide joined but before Fremantle came on board.

In the early 1900s VFL there were typically 10 teams with a few exceptions:

Sorry Max, but Gil is only talking about the 5 years in the modern era of AFL. A period that is contemporary and therefore relevant to the conversation about the current league structure and commercial arrangements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I think the ideal competition would’ve been:

7 VIC, 3 WA, 3 SA, 2 QLD, 2 NSW, 1 each TAS, ACT, NT.

My only change might have been 2 SA and 3 NSW.

Based on:
1. Sydney and Wollongong.
2. Sydney and Central Coast.
3. Newcastle and northern NSW coast.

Then the ACT takes in southern and western NSW.

Last edited:
You kind of feel it’s now or never for Canberra. They should be the 20th team. Quite sadly, I think the AFL will choose the safe option and choose WA3 for team 20 because it will generate more money out of Optus Stadium. I don’t think further expansion will happen beyond 20 teams for a long time. It could be decades. 2050 onwards.

That’s why I would love to see Canberra around 2030-2032. Get it established.

I don't think there is any need to rush a 20th team.

With 19 teams you've got 17 Rounds with 9 games and 7 Rounds with 8 games (3 teams with bye) and you could have a top 10 finals with 7vs10 and 8vs9 in place of the current bye after the final round. The bottom 4 of the previous season could be scheduled the byes in the last 4 rounds of the season to limit any advantage there might be of a finals team getting more of a rest than the others.

Re Gather Round, you could easily kick it off with one of the SA teams playing the last game of the round before against the team who will have the bye in gather round.

The introduction of the 19th team in Tasmania is very much righting a wrong and the AFL now should concentrate on strengthening the levels below.

First and foremost they need to make sure there are teams in country areas for kids to play for in our heartland states of SA, WA, VIC and TAS. We don't want large chunks of country areas no longer producing footballers. Make sure the established SANFL and WAFL are still strong.

Overall, improve facilities, look to improve wages so there is a gap between State League and community level.

Similar to community footy in the heartland states, keep working on the QAFL, Sydney League and ACT League to improve and provide pathways. Hopefully some of these clubs can become strong enough to join the VFL (or NEAFL).

Re the VFL (or NEAFL), use this league to bring in expansion teams that may one day be that 20th AFL team. Tasmania, Canberra, NT, North QLD, Sunshine Coast, Newcastle are all big population centres that could bring new viewers to AFL.

Hopefully the northern states could be strong enough to one day form the NEAFL again so the VFL drops to a manageable amount of teams.

I'd love to see the State League Grand Finals be played, a weekend off to celebrate and then when the AFL Preliminary Final is played, have the premiers of the SANFL vs WAFL and the VFL vs NEAFL and then the winners playing the curtain raiser on the MCG on Grand Final day.

In other words, expand by creating more interest in the 2nd tier. The AFL, for the first time this year, have every game from the VFL, SANFL and WAFL available for live streaming. Consolidate the clubs that have existed and played an important part in their communities for generations. Establish 2nd tier sides in the potential expansion markets of Canberra, NT, North QLD, Sunshine Coast, Newcastle. Create a national platform for grass roots by bringing together the premiers to play on Grand Final day.

Maybe the big carrot that could be dangled is the 20th AFL licence, but I don't see a need for that to be any time soon. It might even be that a couple of AFL clubs fall back to the State League tier.

I don't think there is any need to rush a 20th team.

With 19 teams you've got 17 Rounds with 9 games and 7 Rounds with 8 games (3 teams with bye) and you could have a top 10 finals with 7vs10 and 8vs9 in place of the current bye after the final round. The bottom 4 of the previous season could be scheduled the byes in the last 4 rounds of the season to limit any advantage there might be of a finals team getting more of a rest than the others.

Re Gather Round, you could easily kick it off with one of the SA teams playing the last game of the round before against the team who will have the bye in gather round.

The introduction of the 19th team in Tasmania is very much righting a wrong and the AFL now should concentrate on strengthening the levels below.

First and foremost they need to make sure there are teams in country areas for kids to play for in our heartland states of SA, WA, VIC and TAS. We don't want large chunks of country areas no longer producing footballers. Make sure the established SANFL and WAFL are still strong.

Overall, improve facilities, look to improve wages so there is a gap between State League and community level.

Similar to community footy in the heartland states, keep working on the QAFL, Sydney League and ACT League to improve and provide pathways. Hopefully some of these clubs can become strong enough to join the VFL (or NEAFL).

Re the VFL (or NEAFL), use this league to bring in expansion teams that may one day be that 20th AFL team. Tasmania, Canberra, NT, North QLD, Sunshine Coast, Newcastle are all big population centres that could bring new viewers to AFL.

Hopefully the northern states could be strong enough to one day form the NEAFL again so the VFL drops to a manageable amount of teams.

I'd love to see the State League Grand Finals be played, a weekend off to celebrate and then when the AFL Preliminary Final is played, have the premiers of the SANFL vs WAFL and the VFL vs NEAFL and then the winners playing the curtain raiser on the MCG on Grand Final day.

In other words, expand by creating more interest in the 2nd tier. The AFL, for the first time this year, have every game from the VFL, SANFL and WAFL available for live streaming. Consolidate the clubs that have existed and played an important part in their communities for generations. Establish 2nd tier sides in the potential expansion markets of Canberra, NT, North QLD, Sunshine Coast, Newcastle. Create a national platform for grass roots by bringing together the premiers to play on Grand Final day.

Maybe the big carrot that could be dangled is the 20th AFL licence, but I don't see a need for that to be any time soon. It might even be that a couple of AFL clubs fall back to the State League tier.
Except it won’t be in Adelaide when Tassie comes in

You kind of feel it’s now or never for Canberra. They should be the 20th team. Quite sadly, I think the AFL will choose the safe option and choose WA3 for team 20 because it will generate more money out of Optus Stadium. I don’t think further expansion will happen beyond 20 teams for a long time. It could be decades. 2050 onwards.

That’s why I would love to see Canberra around 2030-2032. Get it established.

Only way Canberra happens is if they offer the same inducements the Tassie Government did. New Stadium, COE and 10m a year for a decade. Thats the measure for the NT as well. The difference is Canberra gets good national representation in sport from the NRL and SuperRugby and soon A-league. AFL with big stadium requirements is going to be too late.

Only way Canberra happens is if they offer the same inducements the Tassie Government did. New Stadium, COE and 10m a year for a decade. Thats the measure for the NT as well. The difference is Canberra gets good national representation in sport from the NRL and SuperRugby and soon A-league. AFL with big stadium requirements is going to be too late.
This should be a big factor behind the AFL's 20th team decision. Every year the AFL doesn't have representation in Canberra is another year they fall further and further behind the other codes. So does the AFL want to continue growing in the northern states or do they want to expand into an area that is already AFL mad ala the NRL's decision to expand further into Brisbane with the Dolphins? It's not really clear what the AFL wants because Tasmania is obviously the latter being an Aussie rules dominated state but Gold Coast and GWS are not traditional markets.

Plain and simple - if the ACT government is on board like Tasmania was then CANBERRA20 will happen. I've heard that Manuka Oval is already in a good spot so an expansion of the existing stadium might get the job done.

Certainly no rush for a 20th team for the duration of the new broadcast deal.
My thinking is that the decision and logistics for Team 20 will happen in time to enable 10 weekly games from 2032, as the media deal expires on 2031. The CEO and AFL can then trumpet how it’s an another record broadcast deal that shows how good the state of the game is, and give themselves some bonuses for achieving this record broadcast $.

Back