20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Western Sydney has 3 million people to feed and a massive catchment already. I wouldn't like to see more games at showgrounds, I'd like to see the Canberra games go 2 to Henson park and 1 to Blacktown. It's also in traveling distance for a western sydney fan if they are keen to go, where as Canberra isn't. Out of site out of mind.

Albury and wagga are a doable trip for Canberra fans that are keen to not miss those two extra home games. But yes if a Vic club wants to play Canberra in Albury as a home game I'm happy with that too.
No to Henson.

Everyone says we can’t play at Giants Stadium during the Show and that the 5/6 week gap is too long to be out of Sydney.
Easy fix is to have our away Derby during that period and if still not enough play a game against a lower drawing team at Blacktown.

Last edited:
All GWS home games are low drawing
golf clap GIF

That's why they need to play all their games in Sydney and give Canberra its own team.
If they crowds don't rise in significant numbers after that the AFL should pull the plug on them as they are a financial blackhole for the game.
your thoughts on Victorian teams that get the funding over and above the tv deal? I mean they’ve had over 100 years to get their s**t right in the heartland no less.

Depends on your perspective.

Compared to Collingwood, sure.

Compared to other Sydney professional sports clubs, GWS are pretty average. The Swans are an anomaly in Sydney.

And there are plenty of GWS games that wouldn't fit at Blacktown, but playing a team like the Suns could work.
They never get over 10k

That's why they need to play all their games in Sydney and give Canberra its own team.
If they crowds don't rise in significant numbers after that the AFL should pull the plug on them as they are a financial blackhole for the game.
I tried arguing this point when I went on reddit and seemed to get shot down with arguments that either the Giants should move to Canberra or that an extra 3 games in Sydney won't make a difference because the same people who aren't going to the 8 Sydney games now won't go to any of the extra games.

I should've asked them for the lotto numbers if their future predicting ability is that good. Obviously it would least be a positive attempt to increase engagement in the area. It's possible that they still won't go but I agree with you that they need maximum exposure to give the locals every opportunity possible.

The crowds I imagine would steadily rise over time. I doubt the AFL will ever pull the plug on GWS, that's a lot of wasted money. Even if Canberra aren't the 20th team, they should still get the Giants out of there after 2032. In such a scenario, they'd ideally play three away games in Canberra against three different Vic clubs to maintain their presence there for a relocation if the Western Sydney experiment fails, but I know it's not going to work like that.

No, I think if Canberra get the 20th team and GWS fails, they will stay in perpetual limbo in WS, they won't pull the plug. It'll kill the AFL's appetite for future risk, though, I'm sure. The Giants will be just fine, though, I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because it’s a normal occurrence for the reigning premier to play their first game interstate. It’s only the second time in what 15 years?

This is such a Victorian thing to complain about. Four of the past five non-Victorian premiers have started their next season campaigns interstate.

This is such a Victorian thing to complain about. Four of the past five non-Victorian premiers have started their next season campaigns interstate.
It’s clubs like Collingwood that pay the bills so we can keep these flops afloat. Round zero is a horrid idea. If people give a * about footy in the west of Sydney let’s see them actually support their club and show up

It’s clubs like Collingwood that pay the bills so we can keep these flops afloat. Round zero is a horrid idea. If people give a * about footy in the west of Sydney let’s see them actually support their club and show up

They are showing up the games almost sold out.

We both know the sell out isn’t from GWS fans. Wait for the game will sound like Collingwood is the home team

My mate in Sydney is a pies fan and he is going. There are plenty of footy fans in Sydney, they just need to get behind the local team.

Back