20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
who in WA would want a second team?

Don't you mean third?

AFL in Perth is killing it

Well it killed the WAFL.
People don't realise that the WAFL aggregate used to be greater than the Subiaco crowds.
Now we have an extra WAFL club and two extra WAFL teams and of course AFL.
One minor benefit of WA3 would be that you could allocate 3 WAFL teams to each AFL club.

First the AFL needs to fix GWS.

Again with the GWS bashing. NO GWS have to fix GWSa and the G.c. fix G.C.
If Canberra and Tasmania enter then guaranteed you'll have to fix at least one of them.

They can start with realigning the Swans and Giants zones in Sydney. Inner West should not be Swans territory.

People don't change just because lines on map change.

Change the name to West Sydney Giants,

I'd prefer just "Sydney Giants", but realistically that is a small change.

play two games @ SCG when Showgrounds is being used for Easter Show

As a "temporary" measure until a 100% home ground can be found it would be an interesting experiment
to see if the Inner West would come on board.
Next, once Tas comes in, send Hawks to Canberra for three games.

The Hawks did a fantastic job in N.Z. and a good job in Tasmania
but it's time to let Hawthorn just be the Eastern Hawks.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
St Helens R.F.C. | Adelaide T'Birds
I'm all for GWS to focus more on just Western Sydney but they don't need to change their name. Would mean they'd need to change their song/logo.

Sad about the state leagues too. Wouldn't surprise me if the WAFL and SANFL folded in the next 10 years.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm all for GWS to focus more on just Western Sydney but they don't need to change their name.

But it would be a good idea - fan-wise and marketing wise.

Would mean they'd need to change their song/logo.

What bit exactly?

Sad about the state leagues too. Wouldn't surprise me if the WAFL and SANFL folded in the next 10 years.

Huh? How many state league games do you attend?
They are attracting people for various reasons.
Not the least of all is women's football and junior involvement.
I like the WAFL because it's convenient, cheap, historic and very entertaining.
The football flows so much better in the WAFL and the umpiring is much more conventional.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Huh? How many state league games do you attend?

As a proud Kingstonian member of the mighty South Adelaide Football Club, I try to attend as much as I can whenever I fly to Adelaide. Been a Panthers fan since I left the womb.

I like the WAFL because it's convenient, cheap, historic and very entertaining.
The football flows so much better in the WAFL and the umpiring is much more conventional.

I'm the biggest SANFL fan you'll ever meet online hehe. Follow the league and sport religiously, and am a big collector of SANFL trinkets and goodies.

I follow the WAFL too, where I'm a paying member of SubiacoFC.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
As a proud Kingstonian member of the mighty South Adelaide Football Club, I try to attend as much as I can whenever I fly to Adelaide. Been a Panthers fan since I left the womb.

I'm the biggest SANFL fan you'll ever meet online hehe. Follow the league and sport religiously, and am a big collector of SANFL trinkets and goodies.

I follow the WAFL too, where I'm a paying member of SubiacoFC.

Then you'd know the WAFL and SANFL will go on.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL.

You can always do better in hindsight but GWS are doing extremely well w.r.t. their start and other factors.
The GWS were well on track but human factors derailed their efforts recently.
With onfield success I'm sure that GWS will develop much further.

Isaac Heeney (All Australian) played his junior football for the Cardiff Hawks in the Black Diamond Australian Football League.
Your credibility is shot. FFS just shut up.

The ground is stated as having 20,000 capacity.
Start having some pre-season games there and get some momentum.
Then do some stadium build - that's the natural order of business.

Finally a reasoned remark. Yes, I guess so but with Virgin Australia there is the possibility of "fan flights" as with the Gold coast..

Yes, so not far at all by car, bus or train.

You cannot get the VFL out of your mind can you - who cares.

My suggestion would be to start the process now.
Host some AFLW games and AFL pre-season games there.
Host a NSW Vs Qld state game there with juniors.
Get the NSWAFL development officers up there and around the schools.
Get visitations form the Swans and the Giants players.
Just get the ball rolling.
That’s it, they should be setting up development pathways in the expansion markets they are looking at. Trying to grow the demand for a team from the grass roots

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
That’s it, they should be setting up development pathways in the expansion markets they are looking at. Trying to grow the demand for a team from the grass roots
Yes I like RED’s point about Issac Heaney. From his Wikipedia page “Heaney later revealed he was the only student throughout his entire schooling that played Australian rules football”. Yep, footy is really making inroads in the area.

I want my Phallic Owl jersey and I want it now.

I think my pick would be some generic form of snake for the mascot. Canberra Serpents flows well and gives a lot of leeway for jersey design and colouring. Plus, think of how cool that indigenous jersey is gonna look.
I thought that name was already taken by parliment?

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes I like RED’s point about Issac Heaney. From his Wikipedia page “Heaney later revealed he was the only student throughout his entire schooling that played Australian rules football”. Yep, footy is really making inroads in the area.
Yeah I am not saying give them an AFL team. I am saying look to grow the grass roots and in 20 years time there maybe the demand

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yeah I am not saying give them an AFL team. I am saying look to grow the grass roots and in 20 years time there maybe the demand
There are development pathways already. It you are any good, you get signed up by the Swans academy. AFL has the same chance of succeeding in Newcastle as rugby league would in Geelong.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
No. Newcastle is a much larger city with a larger population catchment area
and Newcastle has a long history of playing Australian Football in Newcastle and surrounds.
No, Newcastle people have about the same level of interest in footy as Geelong people have in League. I.e. virtually none. They are obsessed with the Knights/Cats. Yes, the Black Diamond cup has been running for a long time, but there are 550k in Newy, and only one senior footy club (I think). The clubs in the Hunter league are really spread out over 30mins - 1hr+ from Newy. There is zero potential for a team ever to be based there, although it would be good to give their new facility an AFLW game or practice match (are we still having those?). Same with Wollongong.

Start somewhere, then get back to me in 25 years.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, the Black Diamond cup has been running for a long time, but there are 550k in Newy,

And a proportion of that 550k follow Australian Football.

and only one senior footy club (I think).

Wrong again. WTF do you post on something that you know little about.
The Newcastle Australian Football League was an Australian rules football competition in the city of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
The first clubs (Northumberland, Lambton, Newcastle City, Singleton and Wallsend & Plattsburg) began in 1883, however the competition proper began in 1888 with teams contesting for the Black Diamond Cup, now Australia's oldest sporting trophy and was contested in the Black Diamond Australian Football League and continues to be contested in the AFL Hunter Central Coast competition.
In 1894, popularity of Australian rules waned. In 1948, after World War II, a 4 team competition was reborn - the first properly constituted competition in the region. The competing clubs were Waratah, Mayfield, Newcastle City and Broadmeadow.
After the 1999 season, the NAFL merged with the Central Coast AFL to form the Black Diamond Australian Football League.

The clubs that have played in the Newcastle AFL since it was reformed in 1948 and merged with the CCAFL after the 1999 season.

• Cardiff
  • Waratah
  • Mayfield
  • Newcastle City
  • Broadmeadow
  • RAAF (later Williamtown Jets)
  • Hamilton
  • Newcastle University
  • Western Suburbs (later West Newcastle)
  • Lakeside
  • Macquarie
  • Wallsend
  • Warners Bay
  • Singleton (previously Army)
  • Raymond Terrace
  • Muswellbrook
  • Nelson Bay
  • Maitland
  • Coalfields United
  • Gosford
  • Forster

The clubs in the Hunter league are really spread out over 30mins - 1hr+ from Newy.

Black Diamond Cup
  • Cardiff Hawks.
  • Killarney Vale Bombers.
  • Nelson Bay Marlins.
  • Newcastle City Blues.
  • Terrigal Avoca Panthers.
  • Warners Bay Bulldogs.
  • Singleton Roosters.
  • Gosford Tigers.

As you can see there is significant Australian Football history and participation in the New castle region.
It's a good starting point and there is no reason why Australian Football cannot build into an AFL club.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are development pathways already. It you are any good, you get signed up by the Swans academy. AFL has the same chance of succeeding in Newcastle as rugby league would in Geelong.
Dumb comment, considering there are zero rugby league clubs in Geelong yet Newcastle has an Aussie Rules comp that dates back 130 years

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Dumb comment, considering there are zero rugby league clubs in Geelong yet Newcastle has an Aussie Rules comp that dates back 130 years
Nah. Not dumb at all. Newcastle has one footy team. Geelong has the mightily Tiger Snakes RL club. Dumb would be suggesting that just because a certain city/region has a large population, therefore it is a suitable place for a sporting team, even if that city has next to zero interest in that sport.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah. Not dumb at all. Newcastle has one footy team. Geelong has the mightily Tiger Snakes RL club. Dumb would be suggesting that just because a certain city/region has a large population, therefore it is a suitable place for a sporting team, even if that city has next to zero interest in that sport.
A club that has been dead longer than it’s been alive

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Footy in Newcastle is in no way comparable to league in Geelong.

Geelong has one league club, that didn't even compete this year.

This year, Greater Newcastle fielded 11 men's teams. And 8 women's teams. More if you count as far as Singleton, Muswellbrook and Nelson Bay (which are all pretty much in the Newcastle catchment).

I'm not saying Newcastle is ready for an AFL team, but comparing them to Geelong and rugby league is a ridiculous comparison.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Footy in Newcastle is in no way comparable to league in Geelong.

Geelong has one league club, that didn't even compete this year.

This year, Greater Newcastle fielded 11 men's teams. And 8 women's teams. More if you count as far as Singleton, Muswellbrook and Nelson Bay (which are all pretty much in the Newcastle catchment).

I'm not saying Newcastle is ready for an AFL team, but comparing them to Geelong and rugby league is a ridiculous comparison.

A testament to the strength of Australian Rules Football.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Itll be NT for a massive amount of reasons.

1. Indoor stadium to protect from elements - providing great infrastructure for Darwin.
2. Social impacts - Providing a huge boost to the region jobs wise
3. CBD based stadium and club - better for player retention
4. Government backing would be enormous
5. Providing sustainable pathways in the region to tap into the large amount of local footy being played in the region

Jun 23, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA dodgers LA Kings Melbourne Aces
I have made a nice concept for Canberra (I also have a Darwin concept called the crocs with orange green and blue as their colours with a blue base and orange belt with green borders) my Canberra team who I have called the Stallions incorporate a duel blue colour scheme with white the jersey had a blue line through the middle with white outline and a horse in the middle and the side panels are the same

90-905689_horseshoe-clipart-horshoe-horse-shoe-line-drawing-hd.png
90-905689_horseshoe-clipart-horshoe-horse-shoe-line-drawing-hd(1).png
Brisbane-2021 (27).jpg
Brisbane2021 (2).jpg
Brisbane-2021(1) (1).jpg

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have made a nice concept for Canberra (I also have a Darwin concept called the crocs with orange green and blue as their colours with a blue base and orange belt with green borders) my Canberra team who I have called the Stallions incorporate a duel blue colour scheme with white the jersey had a blue line through the middle with white outline and a horse in the middle and the side panels are the same

View attachment 1558445View attachment 1558446View attachment 1558447View attachment 1558448View attachment 1558449
I don't hate it, a lot smoother than a lot of the other colour ways I've seen. It's essentially the Peel Thunder branding. Could do without the horse I'd say, keep it simple. Big props for including the APS Mandatory Footwear Provider as a sponsor.

Feb 6, 2013
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 1558445View attachment 1558446View attachment 1558447View attachment 1558448View attachment 1558449

Nice

Although the ACT Brumbies may disagree on this

Back