Universal Love 20th Anniversary: Our First Premiership...

Favourite Memory From 97:

• Blighty was a genius

• Macca: From Fat Boy to Norm Smith Medalist

• Shane Ellen: Greatest Full Forward of All time

• Jarman: Orgasmic Finals performances

• Roo and Mods Missing: Yet Still won

• Making the Vics Cry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring back blighty. Would love some tough love for tex and co. Pittiful Jenkins , i like the sound of that. :)

Good times.. I was only 14 in 97. couldn't get tickets to the GF. went to the prelim the week before on the overland train with my Dad and bro..
I was just as crazy and passionate back then as I am now but geez I would have loved to have seen a premiership in my 20s so I could truly go mental and celebrate.. that 97 grand final was unreal.. id watch the replay daily from the day after through to xmas that year I reckon and most wees\ks for the next 12 months until the 98 flag. I still have all my scrap books and news paper clippings.. what an amazing time. I remember the shed party that night after the 97 GF and Wayville showgrounds the day after.. celebrated big time (minus the booze)
As for the actual game.. I didn't think once in the lead up or until mid way through the last term that we would win.. back then I was happy to be in the gf.. it was pretty much a numb feeling when we kicked goal after goal to seal it and I remember sitting there in disbelief that we were actually going to hold that cup up. GOOD TIMES!!!! desperate for another flag!!!! but unfortunately this crop of Crows will fail like every other crop we have had for the past 18 years.

'97 was definitely a different time for footy.
A time when we had a coach not afraid to make tough calls. A coach not afraid to call out players if they were pathetic. Players, who weren't all stars, but played their role for the team especially when it mattered most. We played hard, fast footy and we weren't afraid to play straight down the guts. It felt like no matter how much out of a game we were, we were always still in it.
I was 13 and I Remember the whole city going boonta. The welcoming home, the parade down north tce, wayville, people's houses painted in red, yellow and navy blue.
It wasn't a right place, right time chance for Blight. He was a genius. It's no coincidence he coached in 3 grand finals previously before coming to Adelaide. I'm
Thankful that the winning GFs he coached in was for Adelaide.

Can't believe it's 20 years. What I'd give to see a flag in my adult years.
Would we see the town go crazy again? Will there be another big welcoming home? A parade? A wayville? Will the town be once again painted in red, yellow and navy blue?
With the team we have I feel we are closer than ever before, but sadly I think I'm still going to be waiting a number of years before I get an answer to all these questions.

I'll admit I cried after the final siren !

Soon fixed that with a beer !

Still love watching it. I think channel 7 replayed the game in full immediately after and later in the night as well that day.

Was 19 years old, sitting in the forward pocket to the end we were kicking last quarter in the bay with the Australia Post signage in front of it, favourite memories were just before half time Saints in front and their supporters giving out a bit, DJ comes walking down near the end of the half, I inform them your only three goals up and here comes DJ the Dogs were 30 points up last week and we won!

Other great memory is the DJ snap over his shoulder in the last quarter, I was out of my seat cheering before it even went through you just knew off the boot it was sailing through.

Oh also remember my old man with about two minutes to go bolting out the back I was wondering WTF is he doing he'll miss the end, came back literally a minute later with premiership T shirts for the whole family! Man did I enjoy standing up on my chair showing that off to the cocky Saints fans near us.

Voted for the Jarman magic.

I was 12 and I remember our basketball GF was scheduled on the same day at the same time. Every time out that was called we all ran out to the canteen area where there was a TV to watch for 30 seconds, and then ran back in again. I remember driving home with my mum and brother and it was absolute madness. People driving around screaming their heads off, waving flags, it was terrific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll admit I cried after the final siren !

Soon fixed that with a beer !

Still love watching it. I think channel 7 replayed the game in full immediately after and later in the night as well that day.
I get emotional now watching it.. more so cos they were great days.. and I cant believe how much time has past. 20 f***** years!!! wow

Voted for the Jarman magic.

I was 12 and I remember our basketball GF was scheduled on the same day at the same time. Every time out that was called we all ran out to the canteen area where there was a TV to watch for 30 seconds, and then ran back in again. I remember driving home with my mum and brother and it was absolute madness. People driving around screaming their heads off, waving flags, it was terrific.
i dare say if we ever win it again i will get arrested.. i plan to streak draped in a crows scarf.. (if i don't get a ticket to the game)

Back