2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club hasn't announced yet, but looks like Tohey has returned to ireland for good.

GOLD COAST
Arrivals: Mabior Chol (free agent – Richmond)

Departures: Will Brodie (traded – Fremantle), Aiden Fyfe (delisted), Jarrod Harbrow (retired), Jack Hombsch (retired), Jordan Murdoch (retired), Zac Smith (retired), Luke Towey (retired)

Uncontracted: Jacob Townsend

Contracted: 43 (including one category B rookie)

Draft picks: 3

Malcolm Rosas re-signed for two years after Essendon showed interest in him. Rookies Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh and Hewago Paul Oea are also sticking around, but Towey returned to Ireland. A call is still to be made on Townsend. The Suns can have 38 primary-listed players and nine category A rookies, as part of the AFL’s assistance package – but will have only one category B rookie (Oea). They are set to draft ex-Blue Levi Casboult as a rookie.

Zone Selections can be used for Cat B so is that a way around selecting an academy player

Really rated Fyfe in the reserves matches I saw
And given he's 190cm+ seemed as though he could have developed into a 3rd tall defender or even a midfielder
Running half back and maybe push up onto a wing is what I saw from him. Good overhead, above average speed, neat kick, great size, lots to work with. Big shame.

Running half back and maybe push up onto a wing is what I saw from him. Good overhead, above average speed, neat kick, great size, lots to work with. Big shame.
You often wonder if there's something else in play with these decisions but if it was strictly a footballing decision it seems odd to the supporters
Out of all the delistings it was the one that made me go Hmmmmmm

The club hasn't announced yet, but looks like Towey has returned to ireland for good.

GOLD COAST

Departures: Will Brodie (traded – Fremantle), Aiden Fyfe (delisted), Jarrod Harbrow (retired), Jack Hombsch (retired), Jordan Murdoch (retired), Zac Smith (retired), Luke Towey (retired)

Malcolm Rosas re-signed for two years after Essendon showed interest in him. Rookies Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh and Hewago Paul Oea are also sticking around, but Towey returned to Ireland. A call is still to be made on Townsend. The Suns can have 38 primary-listed players and nine category A rookies, as part of the AFL’s assistance package – but will have only one category B rookie (Oea). They are set to draft ex-Blue Levi Casboult as a rookie.

They mentioned Towey has moved back home on the call the other day. Hence the spots for more mature players.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They mentioned Towey has moved back home on the call the other day. Hence the spots for more mature players.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Makes sense for him to go home into the next phase of his life, given sometimes afl isn't for everyone, and when you are nowhere near it selection wose.

The club hasn't announced yet, but looks like Towey has returned to ireland for good.

GOLD COAST

From all accounts GC are only taking the one pick in the draft & will need to elevate 2 rookies to the Primary list to make up the 3. Who do you think they will elevate & who will they move to the Rookie list from the Primary list? McLennan, Burgess & Corbett might be candidates for the rookie list I reckon.

From all accounts GC are only taking the one pick in the draft & will need to elevate 2 rookies to the Primary list to make up the 3. Who do you think they will elevate & who will they move to the Rookie list from the Primary list? McLennan, Burgess & Corbett might be candidates for the rookie list I reckon.
I think the other 2 selections will just be pre-listing two academy kids onto the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns will take best player at pick 3 either Callaghan, Andrew or Gibcus. Then prelist Bodhi Uwland and Ned Stevens. Likely delistings Caleb Graham, Jez McLennan, Darcy McPherson, Chris Burgess

Suns will take best player at pick 3 either Callaghan, Andrew or Gibcus. Then prelist Bodhi Uwland and Ned Stevens. Likely delistings Caleb Graham, Jez McLennan, Darcy McPherson, Chris Burgess

Pretty sure all those players are contracted, so doubt they delist them this year. Next year could see Graham and McLennan in trouble though.

Pretty sure all those players are contracted, so doubt they delist them this year. Next year could see Graham and McLennan in trouble though.
What I did read was there is a rule you can transfer players from the senior list to the rookie list after the draft and before the rookie draft.

"They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022."

All 38 players on our main list are listed they will need to be delisted and moved to the rookie list
AFL allow this year direct transfer of players from senior to rookie list provided they are under contract in 2022.
What I did read was there is a rule you can transfer players from the senior list to the rookie list after the draft and before the rookie draft.

"They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022."

Correct, no de-listing provided players are under contract and agree to transfer.

Sam Edmund mentioned on SEN this afternoon that the SUNS have a slight interest in Aaron Vandenberg, who recently departed Melbourne. He seems to be a strong character, but his body has repeatedly let him down

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam Edmund mentioned on SEN this afternoon that the SUNS have a slight interest in Aaron Vandenberg, who recently departed Melbourne. He seems to be a strong character, but his body has repeatedly let him down

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He can play, Melbourne loved him too. Used to play him half done all the time.

Body is a letdown tho

Hobbs will be a star, high floor, high ceiling. I'd be ok if we took him/callaghan over gibcus and traded in a chb next year's trade period. A draftee chb will make little difference to us next year.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need outside mids, Hobbs is just more of what we have.

Hobbs will be a star, high floor, high ceiling. I'd be ok if we took him/callaghan over gibcus and traded in a chb next year's trade period. A draftee chb will make little difference to us next year.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I kinda feel we don’t actually need gibcus right now. Could easily try and get Darcy Moore or Sicily types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back