2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight.. we swapped Brodie and 19 for future picks..
But what happens to Brodie’s 500k salary for 2022
Sits there collecting 1% interest for 12months
We get to put some cash in the likes of Rory Atkins pocket, plus Ben you can’t question the plan, signing Brodie to big money just like 2MP and then selling them for nothing and even giving up prized picks in the process is apparently part of the 20 year master plan :)

Or we get to find out if it’s to help attract another player in the next 24 hours, time will tell

Or we get to find out if it’s to help attract another player in the next 24 hours, time will tell
Sorry to gatecrash your board but as someone who has done some list management at grassroots level I think you guys are heading for the rocks.

You never give away a top 30 draft pick unless you get a decent ready made player in return is Ryan Griffin , also a number of decent defenders fall to the late 20s think Sam Taylor or Darcy Gardiner as well as Ruckman.

Also you need to have at least three quality draft picks coming in each year to replace possible departures that could happen is Rankine . GWS have adopted this policy so say Cameron leaves they have Himmelberg ,Treloar gets replaced by Taranto etc . I also think they choose there academy players on talent a bit more where you guys focus on non AFL backgrounds so they get a bit more bang for their buck.

Some of your key players are a bit banged up or Day, Witt's, Ellis , Weller so you guys need more backup.in the key positions both forward , ruck and maybe a goal kicking small forward which is hard as you have no list positions.

I believe those extra 5 rookie spots have been a curse as it means 5 more wages and you have been forced to give away draft picks and decent backups in Wright and Brodie yet still don't have a balanced list is too many mid sized defenders and forwards.

Finally to improve next year I think your only hope is to clear the rookie list and bring in at least 3 quality state league players to fill in the holes , good luck

I also think they choose there academy players on talent a bit more where you guys focus on non AFL backgrounds so they get a bit more bang for their buck.
It's all about the location of their academy compared to ours, GWS academy for a period of time was on the border of NSW and Victoria (Albury), so a number of their players were actually playing TAC under 18's football against other high draft prospects.

The suns academy is located around Gold Coast and far north Queensland (also a bit of NT). So a lot of our players in the academy were not playing AFL in their juniors and when they got to draft age they where playing the NEAFL (a bit different compared to TAC Cup).

Only recently has the NEAFL been inserted into the VFL so our academy can actually play against high quality opposition.

Extend Luko's and King's contract asap, and then visit the St Kilda, Adel and Port boards to see the melts. St K are already listing Ben in their best 22 for 2023 by the way ... absolutely obsessed with him. I can't see how the 2 Kings actually work in the same side but could be wrong. Nice draft hand for next year.

Extend Luko's and King's contract asap, and then visit the St Kilda, Adel and Port boards to see the melts. St K are already listing Ben in their best 22 for 2023 by the way ... absolutely obsessed with him. I can't see how the 2 Kings actually work in the same side but could be wrong. Nice draft hand for next year.
North did the same with the Swallows
In the end it was Andrew who came here

It's all about the location of their academy compared to ours, GWS academy for a period of time was on the border of NSW and Victoria (Albury), so a number of their players were actually playing TAC under 18's football against other high draft prospects.

The suns academy is located around Gold Coast and far north Queensland (also a bit of NT). So a lot of our players in the academy were not playing AFL in their juniors and when they got to draft age they where playing the NEAFL (a bit different compared to TAC Cup).

Only recently has the NEAFL been inserted into the VFL so our academy can actually play against high quality opposition.
Agree that they have some advantages but there definitely seems to be a background over talent selection going on unless you are super talented like Budarick or Bowes, there are a couple of your academy kids that shown at state level that didn't get picked up over the last couple of years , not sure what's going on but Bella is a must for you guys , local quality talls don't come too often.

Since Carmichael Hunt there seems to be this athlete over footy player obsession , your main competitors the Titans don't do it , they know everyone on their list can play to a certain level which is why they played finals.

As I said you have too much fat on your list , of your 5 uncontacted only Townsend contributed on the field last year and I can't see the other 4 doing anything next year so why keep them on.

I would even go in with no category b rookies if it could afford you a decent player in the draft or a DFA

All year we hear about lacking experience and guys in the age bracket 25-30

we lose Harbrow
Smith
Murdoch and Holmsch

and gain Chol?

makes sense only lose 620games experience and gained 31 😬

Yet we meant to believe they know what they’re doing, is for our best interests

#joke

Last edited:
All year we hear about lacking experience and guys in the age bracket 25-30

we lose Harbrow
Smith
Murdoch and Holmsch

and gain Chol?

makes sense only lose 620games experience and gained 31 😬

Yet we meant to believe they know what they’re doing, is for our best interests

#joke
4 guys that are nowhere near the best 22? You want more of those types?

4 guys that are nowhere near the best 22? You want more of those types?

you don’t get the point…

It’s knowledge
It’s how they prepare day in and day out
How they recover and train etc
Teaching the younger generations..

just stating the point all year Dew complained we were probably to young and missing the 25-30 age group players.. and here we are
Second last day of trade period with next to no picks or list spots 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you don’t get the point…

It’s knowledge
It’s how they prepare day in and day out
How they recover and train etc
Teaching the younger generations..

just stating the point all year Dew complained we were probably to young and missing the 25-30 age group players.. and here we are
Second last day of trade period with next to no picks or list spots 🤷‍♂️
So who do you propose we delist under contract and then who do we trade for?

I would trade Rosa for someone like Ballenden or even Cox to get cover in the ruck / key position. I would then delist Murtagh and Conroy and pick the best available out of the Sanfl / WAFL or a dfa. I would then remove the two international players and then try and see if you can make Bella and the next best academy player as a rookie b , you list is suddenly 20 percent better

not proposing anything tbh.
I didn’t cause this problem signing every man and his dog to contracts

Just funny how it’s got to this point after hearing the same old excuses week in week out after each big loss.

then do the opposite.

mind u
We Have dumped Brodie’s salary so can afford to delist and pay out a couple of contracts 🤷‍♂️

not proposing anything tbh.
Just funny how it’s got to this point after hearing the same old excuses week in week out after each big loss.

then do the opposite.

mind u
We Have dumped Brodie’s salary so can afford to delist and pay out a couple of contracts 🤷‍♂️
I highly doubt we can afford too, we have no money.

ted-lasso-roy-kent.gif

Is it at all possible that the club has divested itself of basically all it’s draft capital this year and moved it into next year so that Clarkson can pick who he wants on the list, I know it’s highly unlikely but it would be delicious to think we were doing something right for once

Last edited:
Id assume that'd look at restructuring deals so we don't get burnt again, Touk would be in for a hefty pay day

like signing Macpherson to a longer term deal to spread his money when he can’t get a game anyway lol
And have bugger all list spots

first we try to get rid of him..
That fails.. no one wants him..
So we sign him for another year or 2 lol
It’s laughable really.
It’s how we got in this mess the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back