2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. I think Stevens does have a talent.

More intriguing is who from Uwland and Bella will be pre-selected. Uwland was selected as best academy player but we got similar types. I will be disappointed if Bella misses out.
Oh has talent, just don't think he has been able to show it enough. Think he had some injuries this year, so I didn't think they'd go there. Give him an extra year and then get him next year, if still available.

Have a very good hunch, was told we where selecting Stevens about a month ago and that turned out to be correct, Bodhi was the other name floated but not as convincing.
Bodhi makes sense, he was one I would have picked for sure (I thought Bella would be the other). Won best academy prospect (not unlike Budarick in his draft year)

Might not even make it to our first pick mate. GWS are dead keen in Andrew too.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seems like a smoke screen to me. The area of GWS's list that doesn't need a boost is their tall stocks.

KPD: Taylor, Davis, Haynes, Reid, Stein, Buckley
KPF: Hogan, Riccardi, Himmelberg, Sproule
Ruck: Mumford, Flynn, Preuss, Briggs

Would seem a massive reach for a team with a wealth of Key position players to take a developmental Key position/Ruck at 2 where more established, guaranteed talent is available.

Seems like a smoke screen to me. The area of GWS's list that doesn't need a boost is their tall stocks.

Would seem a massive reach for a team with a wealth of Key position players to take a developmental Key position/Ruck at 2 where more established, guaranteed talent is available.
Thats not what GWS recruiting manager hinted. He suggested they would bid on Sam Darcy because of their need for talls. When talls come from the top end, which isn't always that often, you take them no matter if you dont have an urgent need for them.

Ive heard they are very keen on Andrew, and would consider taking him with pick 2. Unlikely he would be there at their next pick

Oh has talent, just don't think he has been able to show it enough. Think he had some injuries this year, so I didn't think they'd go there. Give him an extra year and then get him next year, if still available.
It's quite possible that we got to take one kid from NT as part of our concessions. Personally, I would go with Bella who I think is a chance to be drafted. We can always try to bring him home :)

It's quite possible that we got to take one kid from NT as part of our concessions. Personally, I would go with Bella who I think is a chance to be drafted. We can always try to bring him home :)
I could see Bella being the type of prospect that could be picked up by another club. Someone who can play forward and ruck, 18 year old kid that has looked like he is 25 since he was 15 lol

I do like Bella and too a lesser degree Harris but I don’t mind the Suns going the dice with them in the academy for another year if they are passed on

Thats not what GWS recruiting manager hinted. He suggested they would bid on Sam Darcy because of their need for talls. When talls come from the top end, which isn't always that often, you take them no matter if you dont have an urgent need for them.

Ive heard they are very keen on Andrew, and would consider taking him with pick 2. Unlikely he would be there at their next pick
I feel like talls at the top end have a significantly bigger bust rate than midfielders. I'd be disappointed if we reached at 3 for Andrews.

Talls taken in the top 10 since 2010:

2010: Day (bust), Gorringe (bust)
2011: Patton (bust)
2012: Mayes (bust), Daniher (tick)
2013: Boyd (bust)
2014: McCartin (Bust), Wright (Bust), Moore (tick)
2015: Weitering (tick), Schache (bust), Francis (bust), Weidemann (bust), Mckay (tick)
2016: Logue (bust)
2017: Naughton (tick)
2018: Luko (tick), M.King (tick), B.King (tick), Blakey (bust)
2019: McAsey (bust)

so thats 13 busts in 21 top 10 KPP's and 8 ticks.

Was on Zoom call with the club tonight with Wayne Campbell and Craig Cameron. Got some great information.

- Rory Atkins arrived at club in bad condition last year and has been copping an earful from the club and his manager has been riding him very hard as its made their management group look bad (Connor Sports). You could tell Cameron especially was very unhappy with this situation and has had some strongly worded conversations with Rory. They've told him in no uncertain terms how he needs to shape up this season coming.
if he spent less time with all his outside promotional bullshit and focused on his craft like a professional maybe people would like him and he would be a better ******* footballer. never followed & unfollowed a suns player quicker than i did with him. i was just like, do you actually play football or what? i know i shouldn't judge people on that s**t but personality-wise compared to the rest of the boys it just seemed off.

hearing that he copped it regularly for being out of shape gave me a semi.

edit: also, great insight mate! thanks for sharing (even if you perhaps weren't meant to).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. King re-signing will be one of the biggest coups against Vic media in GC’s history.

However, this news is a double-edged sword: if negotiations begin and he doesn’t sign on then it doesn’t look promising.
Why open negotiations to begin with? Thats usually a good sign I feel. For players wanting to leave, they wouldn't open up negotiations before pre-season begins, I wouldn't think.

Or maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Was on Zoom call with the club tonight with Wayne Campbell and Craig Cameron. Got some great information.

- Rory Atkins arrived at club in bad condition last year and has been copping an earful from the club and his manager has been riding him very hard as its made their management group look bad (Connor Sports). You could tell Cameron especially was very unhappy with this situation and has had some strongly worded conversations with Rory. They've told him in no uncertain terms how he needs to shape up this season coming.

- Club interviewed Mac Andrew and rate him highly. Gibcus is a flight risk. My gut feeling is well take one of Callaghan, Andrew or Hobbs.

- Committed to taking Casboult in rookie draft and they mentioned another mature player maybe too. Unsure who the second one was.

- We have two academy kids who've been told we're pre selecting them. One from NT and one from GC. I presume the NT one is Ned Stevens.

- Confident Moyle would have been top 20 in ND.

- Rowell told Dew to let him tag Walsh in last quarter of Carlton game, obviously know how that went!

+ a bunch of other interesting things about where players are at. Was really insightful. Quite impressed by Wayne Campbell and after hearing Cameron talk I've become a fan of his too. Very pragmatic.

Im not sure if some of this was meant to be kept private so I might have to take this down later (was only 25 odd members on the call).

So I went from Callaghan hype train to getting off because GWS would take him to back on!!!!

Cmon he is my #1 choice this year. Massive upside aslong as he doesn’t do a scrimshaw

- Club interviewed Mac Andrew and rate him highly. Gibcus is a flight risk. My gut feeling is well take one of Callaghan, Andrew or Hobbs.

- Committed to taking Casboult in rookie draft and they mentioned another mature player maybe too. Unsure who the second one was.

- We have two academy kids who've been told we're pre selecting them. One from NT and one from GC. I presume the NT one is Ned Stevens.

- Confident Moyle would have been top 20 in ND.

- Rowell told Dew to let him tag Walsh in last quarter of Carlton game, obviously know how that went!

+ a bunch of other interesting things about where players are at. Was really insightful. Quite impressed by Wayne Campbell and after hearing Cameron talk I've become a fan of his too. Very pragmatic.

Im not sure if some of this was meant to be kept private so I might have to take this down later (was only 25 odd members on the call).
Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

Casboult could end up being very handy for us over the next year or two because his physical size and age really lends itself to a classic full forward role that should allow King to play higher up the ground where he's more damaging. Now that we essentially know Casboult is coming to us, it could explain the reasoning for not drafting Bella (this year). Assuming this is true, it's interesting to me that we've chosen to retain Murtagh and Conroy over drafting Bella. The coaches must see something in the other two that Bella isn't offering at this stage. I hope we retain Bella for another year in our U19s program.

Disappointed to hear we aren't going to take Gibcus but drafting Mac Andrew instead could end up being a master stroke. Andrew is 200cm and considered an athletic utility tall with massive upside so we could potentially play him in the ruck, forward or back. The versatility reminds me of Chol so perhaps one of those two ends up in our back line and the other in the ruck/forward line? Obviously Chol and Andrew have the South Sudanese connection so you'd assume they would befriend one another and Chol would take Andrew under his wing. That would be great for Andrew's development.

Oh and also negotiations have started on an extension for King.

Miller not far off either (weeks maybe).
Very good news. I think the flow on effect of King re-signing will be massive so let's hope it happens sooner rather than later!

if he spent less time with all his outside promotional bullshit and focused on his craft like a professional maybe people would like him and he would be a better ******* footballer. never followed & unfollowed a suns player quicker than i did with him. i was just like, do you actually play football or what? i know i shouldn't judge people on that sh*t but personality-wise compared to the rest of the boys it just seemed off.

hearing that he copped it regularly for being out of shape gave me a semi.

edit: also, great insight mate! thanks for sharing (even if you perhaps weren't meant to).
Who looks at Rory Atkins Instagram and says, oh great he got his teeth done at this place - he’s such an icon I’m going to do the same.

just looked at his Instagram now. Cringeworthy!

In saying that rowelly has about 75% adds too.

I feel like talls at the top end have a significantly bigger bust rate than midfielders. I'd be disappointed if we reached at 3 for Andrews.

2015: Weitering (tick), Schache (bust), Francis (bust), Weidemann (bust), Mckay (tick)

Sam Mayes isn’t a tall
Would argue that Blakey won’t be a bust with true breakout coming in next year or two.

other than that. Fully agree.
Would be real nervous selecting Andrew that high.

On the BigFooty draft PMBangers has selected gibcus and maybe Andrew’s? With their selections.

Harsh on Logue, starting to really come good.

Davis is cooked, Reid was delisted, Stein is a depth player at a competing club, throw in that Haynes is 29 and it's time we invest in some younger KPD's for sure, and I'd be happy with with another young KPF given Hogan is constantly injured, Himmelberg is more a tall flanker and Sproule is someone thats supposed to be depth

Bodhi makes sense, he was one I would have picked for sure (I thought Bella would be the other). Won best academy prospect (not unlike Budarick in his draft year)

I think knightmare has Bodhi very high in his draft rankings. Hope it happens. We can nickname him Mr Bods… unless it’s copyrighted?

Davis is cooked, Reid was delisted, Stein is a depth player at a competing club, throw in that Haynes is 29 and it's time we invest in some younger KPD's for sure, and I'd be happy with with another young KPF given Hogan is constantly injured, Himmelberg is more a tall flanker and Sproule is someone thats supposed to be depth

Agree. I think your midfield is stacked so go tall then we get Callaghan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back