2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is over his injuries now. Discovered a way to handle his body. Has been injury free for 2 years. Deserves another shot.
That's playing VFL though, right? Taking into account that VFL style of footy is different to AFL in just how it's played, I don't even know what the rules are in the VFL when it comes to thing like interchange numbers and the like. Him being injury free at VFL is all well and good, but he trains a couple of times a week and then plays. What happens when he's spending most of his week training and in recovery and getting smashed by AFL bodies all the time?

I'm not dissing Freeman - in fact, I think picking him up is a good move and exactly what the SPP is meant to be used for. Get these sorts of guys in rather than project players. However, I really do not expect him to be playing AFL minutes in our side barring injuries to our senior mids (which as we all know could very well happen). If he can come in and set a high standard at training and help get our Reserves team wins in the VFL, that will help out with the development of our lesser players quite a lot.

The same goes for Constable, too. These guys help bring our age profile up. That helps in a lot of ways, but playing 1s on gameday isn't one of them. I don't expect them to be playing very much.

Two constant mids in our VFL side last year were Fiorini and Brodie (until Greenwood got injured and Fiorini stepped in). This year I expect those two mids to be Constable and Freeman. They will rack up crazy amounts of possessions and kick goals but rarely get called upon IMO.

That's playing VFL though, right? Taking into account that VFL style of footy is different to AFL in just how it's played, I don't even know what the rules are in the VFL when it comes to thing like interchange numbers and the like. Him being injury free at VFL is all well and good, but he trains a couple of times a week and then plays. What happens when he's spending most of his week training and in recovery and getting smashed by AFL bodies all the time?

I'm not dissing Freeman - in fact, I think picking him up is a good move and exactly what the SPP is meant to be used for. Get these sorts of guys in rather than project players. However, I really do not expect him to be playing AFL minutes in our side barring injuries to our senior mids (which as we all know could very well happen). If he can come in and set a high standard at training and help get our Reserves team wins in the VFL, that will help out with the development of our lesser players quite a lot.

The same goes for Constable, too. These guys help bring our age profile up. That helps in a lot of ways, but playing 1s on gameday isn't one of them. I don't expect them to be playing very much.

Two constant mids in our VFL side last year were Fiorini and Brodie (until Greenwood got injured and Fiorini stepped in). This year I expect those two mids to be Constable and Freeman. They will rack up crazy amounts of possessions and kick goals but rarely get called upon IMO.
100% my thoughts.
That is where they are starting from.
If they are playing really well and demanding selection, then they get a go in the 1's.
But until then, in my mind, they are here basically as back up, to help set standards, and to be a tough mature body in training.

100% my thoughts.
That is where they are starting from.
If they are playing really well and demanding selection, then they get a go in the 1's.
But until then, in my mind, they are here basically as back up, to help set standards, and to be a tough mature body in training.
I won't be disappointed if either of them get games in the 1s. McPherson will be lucky to get a spot, Fiorini, Ainsworth, Sexton, even Swallow will come under pressure to hold their spot. Toss in Rankine as well if his form doesn't come back. It's likely they would start in the 2s but once the season is underway I won't be surprised if one or both (assuming Freeman is even picked up) get a run. Big bodies are badly needed to help out those still growing in to their's! For the first time in a long time we have enough cattle in the early part of the season to build a very strong side - and then there's always injuries!

SUNS Why did you lock the thread I made for the 2022/2023 trade and draft season?

This thread is for the 2021/2022 trade and draft season.

Where are we supposed to talk about next years draft class? Is there another thread I've overlooked?

SUNS Why did you lock the thread I made for the 2022/2023 trade and draft season?

This thread is for the 2021/2022 trade and draft season.

Where are we supposed to talk about next years draft class? Is there another thread I've overlooked?

Next year would be 2022.

How would everyone rate this year’s trade and draft period on an A to F basis? I’m thinking a C.
D.

Losing Greenwood was a headbutt the steering wheel moment. We got Chol, but if I'm honest I would have rathered CCJ. Mac Andrew isn't a sure thing but I'm happy with his selection. Jury is out on Brock. And another salary dump, sometimes breaking up is a good thing but it's hard to admit to yourself you've been wasing the past few years on someone that didn't work out.

Next year would be 2022.
So you're saying on the 24th Jan 2021 we made a thread for 2 years of trade periods

2021 trade period

AND

2022 trade period

I just read "21/22 trade period" as a single trade period in between the 2021 season and the 2022 season.

I'm happy to create a 2 year trade period thread every second year if you want it that way though. Looking forward to posting the 23/24 trade period thread spanning from 2023 - 2025 at the start of next year then.

So you're saying on the 24th Jan 2021 we made a thread for 2 years of trade periods

2021 trade period

AND

2022 trade period

I just read "21/22 trade period" as a single trade period in between the 2021 season and the 2022 season.

I'm happy to create a 2 year trade period thread every second year if you want it that way though. Looking forward to posting the 23/24 trade period thread spanning from 2023 - 2025 at the start of next year then.

Nah, we are going to continuously update the thread title, same as was done before this title lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love a hyperbolic title

We could win the flag by 120 points and the article Landsberger produces the next day would still read ‘Warning signs for the Suns as King smiles without teeth in cup photo’.
Bottom feeder who I assume has never set foot outside the Melbourne CBD the way he talks.

Austin Harris training with Essendon with a bid to play for their Vfl team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He should probably be a rookie b in place of Oea but when you see almost the whole of AFLQ turn up last year to watch that kid play a scratch match you know where the priorities are. Maybe if they concentrated on the core Qld talent they may have got more than one player drafted this year

He should probably be a rookie b in place of Oea but when you see almost the whole of AFLQ turn up last year to watch that kid play a scratch match you know where the priorities are. Maybe if they concentrated on the core Qld talent they may have got more than one player drafted this year
Good kid but you can't take 'em all. At least the Academy is finally producing players that other clubs are at least considering. Good luck to him .. I hope he makes it.

Good kid but you can't take 'em all. At least the Academy is finally producing players that other clubs are at least considering. Good luck to him .. I hope he makes it.

The point is that there seems to be this huge focus on growing the game and getting kids from different sources that we are neglecting the core group of kids that have the raw talent to make it. Even look at Brock, are we trying to get the attention of V8 fans who knows, I hope not, it just seems wrong that we would pick a kid who never even played a game for the Academy as one of our selections

Brock is 198cm and possibly still growing, supposedly with good closing speed, got games with Peel Thunder. I have no issue with giving him an opportunity.

No academy kid was picked up by other teams in this draft. IMO, this is pretty good assessment of the supposed overlooked quality in our academy and biased selection by Suns.

As I understand, Harris is trying out to make Essendon VFL team, not SSP candidate.

Sam Landsberger's article title is shocker. The content seems ok. Here are some quotes from Raines.

Harris and Davies
Raines said the Suns chose not to list Harris because he wasn’t quite ready for the rigours of AFL.
“He’s going OK, but still needs a bit more development,” Raines said.
“A lot of the kids up here are a year or two behind in development and when you throw Covid in the mix and their lack of ability to play against other states, especially the southern states, he probably just needs a bit longer.
“I think that was the club’s call there, plus we only had so many spots.”

Raines backed big-bodied midfielder Alex Davies, another academy product, to rise up and replace Hugh Greenwood in the AFL engine room next season.

Reasons
Raines, a highly-regarded talent nurturer who has closely mentored emerging star Jack Bowes, wants to spend more time growing his business One On One Football, which is an online platform connecting accredited AFL coaches with players for private sessions.

Raines and partner Alyse also had a baby boy, Zander, in May.
Gold Coast has had a significant staff turnover in recent years, but Raines said there was no ill-feeling towards the club he has spent the past seven years at.

“I’ve got a business, One On One Football, that I created a couple of years ago,” Raines said.
“It was always bubbling in the background and has really taken off the last 12-18 months. Some exciting opportunities have popped up and I’ll be spending more time growing that business.”

Replacement
He suspected the Suns would have no problem finding a replacement.
“They’ve got Jarrod Cotton, who coached Norwood in the SANFL, he’s taken on my old role anyway in the Under-18s,” Raines said.
“My new role was sort of coaching director and high performance coach in the juniors.
“I don’t think they’ll take too long to fill that with some pretty good candidates in the interview process.”

Last edited:
The point is that there seems to be this huge focus on growing the game and getting kids from different sources that we are neglecting the core group of kids that have the raw talent to make it. Even look at Brock, are we trying to get the attention of V8 fans who knows, I hope not, it just seems wrong that we would pick a kid who never even played a game for the Academy as one of our selections
haha, that just shows how biased your posts are. Obviously got some personal skin in the game which is fine, but this take is just poor.

Brock is an athletic 18 year old, in a position of need, that played senior WAFL football in a key position role.
With the number of tall, athletic, high marking young tall forwards in the league now (King x 2, Naughton, Georgiades, JUH, Darcy + all the young tall forwards in next years draft)
Having someone with his skill set is a must.

Of course he's not guaranteed to make it. But I'm happy we took him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back