Past #21: Alex Morgan - delisted end '18 - not re-listed - 2 games/0 goals - thanks Morgs

Remove this Banner Ad

If this guy has been mentioned to be a good user of the footy, while having leg speed. I'm not sure how it is a meh pick, based on our current list..

[/QUOTE]
I think goodwill from previous dealings can be a factor in trade week. People say Dodoro is hard to deal with, but he is pretty fair, and expects to be treated fairly in return. We got a pick in the mid twenties from Melbourne for Melksham in 2015, which was pretty generous. When it came to Hibberd wanting to go to Melbourne in 2016, we took pick 30, which was way under his value, but Melbourne had been good to us the year before.
But, if you don't want to repay bits of goodwill here and there, you never know when it might come back to bite you.

Essendon would know plenty about things coming back to bite, right?

You seem to forget that in Alex Morgan's case there was no exchange of picks because he was delisted by your club, not traded. See any of us on the Carlton board demanding repayments for our 'generosity' in delisting Aaron Mullett? What happens when we have a player you want? Gonna refuse to trade with us because you weren't compensated for delisted free agent Alex Morgan?

It's delusional buddy, probably why half the posters cant be bothered explaining. I guess I'm just generous, do we get Daniher now?

[/QUOTE]

No idea what you mean here, unless it is some obtuse reference to the supplements saga. (If so, it's pretty pathetic)

You seem to forget that in Alex Morgan's case there was no exchange of picks because he was delisted by your club, not traded. See any of us on the Carlton board demanding repayments for our 'generosity' in delisting Aaron Mullett? What happens when we have a player you want? Gonna refuse to trade with us because you weren't compensated for delisted free agent Alex Morgan?

It's delusional buddy, probably why half the posters cant be bothered explaining. I guess I'm just generous, do we get Daniher now?[/QUOTE]

We only delisted Morgan when he said he had a better offer from North than the 1yr deal we offered him. We didn't have to delist him, but did so to help him, and by doing so also helped North, to facilitate the move.
It is pretty clear how it works in cases like Mullett, where no contract is offered and the player is delisted, then the player is picked up by another club as a DFA.
It is not so clear to me how it works when a player is offered a contract, but refuses. I don't think it is automatic that the club has to delist him before list lodgement, and thereby make him available to other clubs as a DFA. If that was the case, all uncontracted players could just hold out, and wait till they are delisted, then go to the club of their choice. There would be no need to trade for an uncontracted player.
I think in that case the player has to go in the PSD.

(PS Your last bit is kinda stupid. You say if EFC think you owe us one, and later want one of your players, we would refuse to trade because you still owed us from Morgan. ????? And then somehow, you're "just generous" and so you would get Daniher. Again, ?????
I don't think logic is your strong point.)

No idea what you mean here, unless it is some obtuse reference to the supplements saga. (If so, it's pretty pathetic)

It's delusional buddy, probably why half the posters cant be bothered explaining. I guess I'm just generous, do we get Daniher now?[/QUOTE]

We only delisted Morgan when he said he had a better offer from North than the 1yr deal we offered him. We didn't have to delist him, but did so to help him, and by doing so also helped North, to facilitate the move.
It is pretty clear how it works in cases like Mullett, where no contract is offered and the player is delisted, then the player is picked up by another club as a DFA.
It is not so clear to me how it works when a player is offered a contract, but refuses. I don't think it is automatic that the club has to delist him before list lodgement, and thereby make him available to other clubs as a DFA. If that was the case, all uncontracted players could just hold out, and wait till they are delisted, then go to the club of their choice. There would be no need to trade for an uncontracted player.

(PS Your last bit is kinda stupid. You say if EFC think you owe us one, and later want one of your players, we would refuse to trade because you still owed us from Morgan. ????? And then somehow, you're "just generous" and so you would get Daniher. Again, ?????
I don't think logic is your strong point.)[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier there will be an increase in these sort of things with lower ranked players on a list. It will be swings and roundabouts with regards to this type of player over time it will even up clubs will let players go and pick up players. I'd honestly doubt if it would even be brought up in future deals.

Exactly like garner

Not really in my opinion, Even despite Garner's injuries he showed something at both AFL and VFL level. This guy had a few games in the VFL this year and hasn't really shown much.

That said, it's a lotto ticket and I hope it pays off but its premature to expect much from him. He seems to have good pace and skills but it's irrelevant if he doesn't get the ball. I don't really see him giving us anything mullet didn't and for his faults mullett has proven he can play AFL level footy.

It seems like an odd pick up to me, hopefully it pays off and Alex dominates but I do think a few people are getting carried away.

Reminds me of the Marley Williams situation, Marley turned out to be a gem, despite the injury setback later on in the season and we pretty much got him for nothing. Hopefully Morgan can have a good pre season, stay fit and healthy along with all the other boys. :grinning:

Reminds me of the Marley Williams situation, Marley turned out to be a gem, despite the injury setback later on in the season and we pretty much got him for nothing. Hopefully Morgan can have a good pre season, stay fit and healthy along with all the other boys. :grinning:

Again, Marley had shown more at AFL level before his form dipped.

Apples and oranges. Marley was already an established AFL player when we got him, just had a down year with Pies.

Very meh on this. Don't love it. Don't hate it. If he's no good, will be gone in a year. Could develop into a handy bottom 6 player in a good team, but that's about it - but that's ok.

Not really in my opinion, Even despite Garner's injuries he showed something at both AFL and VFL level. This guy had a few games in the VFL this year and hasn't really shown much.

That said, it's a lotto ticket and I hope it pays off but its premature to expect much from him. He seems to have good pace and skills but it's irrelevant if he doesn't get the ball. I don't really see him giving us anything mullet didn't and for his faults mullett has proven he can play AFL level footy.

It seems like an odd pick up to me, hopefully it pays off and Alex dominates but I do think a few people are getting carried away.
Better lotto ticket than pick 91 or whatever it is we would have used instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's delusional buddy, probably why half the posters cant be bothered explaining. I guess I'm just generous, do we get Daniher now?

I don't think logic is your strong point.)[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier there will be an increase in these sort of things with lower ranked players on a list. It will be swings and roundabouts with regards to this type of player over time it will even up clubs will let players go and pick up players. I'd honestly doubt if it would even be brought up in future deals.[/QUOTE]I guess we've been warned to expect the wrath of the mighty essendon football club. I'd be far more concerned if we'd pissed off the essendon bowls club to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I guess we've been warned to expect the wrath of the mighty essendon football club. I'd be far more concerned if we'd pissed off the essendon bowls club to be honest.

Don't let Essendon staff near our water bottles.

What a weird player to get salty over.

I honestly can't see him in our best back 6.

Maybe they want to try him up field or in the forward line.

Maybe on the wing. I really don't get it though, if he makes it to AFL level its not like he will give us anything more than Mullett did.

So he's our new Ben Davies?

Yeah probably.

Like I said we know Mullett can contribute at least to some degree even if as a depth player but this guy is a fair way off as it stands and there is no guarantee he will get there.

Just odd.

Maybe on the wing. I really don't get it though, if he makes it to AFL level its not like he will give us anything more than Mullett did.
We're punting on potential. He's completely untapped. He'll likely amount to nothing, but there's that chance he could pan out.

Mullett's ceiling was a 25-30 type player. Handy back up. I guess we don't see the value in 26yo fringe players at this point.

I actually think it was a really odd pick up by Carlton. They are miles off the pace. I thought he'd be more value as depth to a contender.

I actually think it was a really odd pick up by Carlton. They are miles off the pace. I thought he'd be more value as depth to a contender.

Have you seen how clunky they are in their back line?

Fish will make them much more attacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back