#21 - Braydon Preuss - Dropping bombs from outside 50 cause that's what ruckmen do

Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Los Angeles Clippers
935fa29ab53f4a265e1bf0174c2316a9

Big Unit

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok that trade took me by surprise. Well done I think he has massive potential.

I wonder if this flags the potential of playing two rucks. And one always in the forward half.... (something I kind of like).

Ok that trade took me by surprise. Well done I think he has massive potential.

I wonder if this flags the potential of playing two rucks. And one always in the forward half.... (something I kind of like).
Was thinking this too. Preuss was upset at being stuck behind Goldstein, so maybe we're going to swap he and Gawn between FF/ruck in the event Hogan leaves. (Or even if he stays and then Weid goes to VFL, or Hogan the backline/further up the field?)

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Been needing a genuine plan b ruck option for quite a while so it’s a great acquisition solely for that. But I’m hoping the coaches have more immediate plans for both of them in the 22, could be a game changer.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
They might have told him that they are looking at playing two ruckmen but if it doesn't work any promises made will go straight out the window & he will play a majority of his games at Casey.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the backup ruckman has become very much like the backup GK for top football teams.

If your main man goes down, you need to have somebody very capable ready to step up (see Naitanui/Lycett/Vardy).

Imagine losing your entire year's work because Max got injured in the first week of finals, for example.

Still don't see how we have them both in our 22 regularly, but will watch with interest.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
This guy is mumford MK2. We let north develop him and then steal him when he's ready to play. Awesome and another reason why you should only draft a ruck if you think they are a special talent. Let some other dick head develop them.
Models himself on Mumford if I recall.

It’s a great move. West Coast used an amazingly effective strategy to nullify the influence of Gawn and the next week Grundy. This gives us some options too.

As an aside, credit to this bloke. There are any number of teams low on ruck stocks that he could have gone to if his priority was to get picked round one. But he apparently wants to develop his craft under the best ruck in the game today, and the ruck coach who has got him there. It’s really impressive stuff.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah everything Proper Gander said.

On top of that the success Hawthorn had by having Hale sitting down in the forward line over the years is very well documented.
- And they tried to replicate that with Vickery and Fitzpatrick.

I suppose the balance is speed as well in the team. Going to be fascinating to see what they do next year.

Back