Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Set shot goal kicking is all-time shithouse.

I don't remember his second miss but that first shot was almost impossible given the conditions. The wind is insane. There is one spot where the ball goes thru the goals, everywhere else it gets blown away. And to get the ball in that spot you probably need to kick from around 50 out on the boundary, where Gunston kicked it from.

Yeah the fact that he's younger than Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin etc should be taken into consideration when looking at where he's at. I think he'll be fine. Not sure if the comparison to Max Gawn is a sensible one though

Yeah the fact that he's younger than Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin etc should be taken into consideration when looking at where he's at. I think he'll be fine. Not sure if the comparison to Max Gawn is a sensible one though

The comparison is a good one because people wrote Gawn off at a similar age. Similar with English.

Will CCJ end up anywhere near Gawn, probably not but writing him off already is just silly.

Wasn’t flash was he .
Not sure what we were thinking.
He’s ours and let’s hope he comes good.

Oh well
He's literally played 16 games at AFL level in the positions that take the longest time for a player to find his feet. In those 16 games he's has a game where he kicked 4 goals, a game where he had 18 disposals and a game where he took 7 marks. Without looking, there wouldn't be many 200cm+ players in the history of the game that have done more in 16 games.

I'm not sure if you were expecting him to hit the ground running and be an AA ruck this year, but he is going to take time and he is certainly our best long-term ruck prospect.

He's literally played 16 games at AFL level in the positions that take the longest time for a player to find his feet. In those 16 games he's has a game where he kicked 4 goals, a game where he had 18 disposals and a game where he took 7 marks. Without looking, there wouldn't be many 200cm+ players in the history of the game that have done more in 16 games.

I'm not sure if you were expecting him to hit the ground running and be an AA ruck this year, but he is going to take time and he is certainly our best long-term ruck prospect.

A lot of what you state is true he is also in his fifth season and a lot of those big guys have issues with weight, lack thereof. He doesn't have that.

His 8 games with Richmond last season were better than his 7 with us to date. I would like him to impact more contests and to start throwing his weight around a bit.

The word was he's an aggressive mobile big fella, jumping in a ruck contest would be a great start. I don't think we've seen that to date. Of course he has time and he is ahead of Xerri.

I don't care for AA's, but I do care for the basics.

A lot of what you state is true he is also in his fifth season and a lot of those big guys have issues with weight, lack thereof. He doesn't have that.

His 8 games with Richmond last season were better than his 7 with us to date. I would like him to impact more contests and to start throwing his weight around a bit.

The word was he's an aggressive mobile big fella, jumping in a ruck contest would be a great start. I don't think we've seen that to date. Of course he has time and he is ahead of Xerri.

Agree he has the size but what he hasn't had is continuity at the top level. I'd like to come back to this in 12 months or so and hopefully by then he has had an extended run at it which allows him to not only get some confidence but a better understanding of what he has to do at the AFL level. He's been able to show that improvement at VFL this year.

He was playing in a better team last year. I'm not shocked that his best game for us was in the only game we won.

Agree he needs to be more aggressive, but to his credit he has put some strong tackles on this year which is hopefully the start. I see him ideally being a Nankervis type with a bit more forward craft rather than a Goldy/Grundy type.

The AA comment was a throwaway.

You were a big fan of majak, was 7 or 8 years before he produced anything that resembled reasonable standard senior footy. Give him some time, he wasn't recruited for this year

You were a big fan of majak, was 7 or 8 years before he produced anything that resembled reasonable standard senior footy. Give him some time, he wasn't recruited for this year

Oh low blow man, Maj should have played a lot more and a lot more often. He was doing well and would be omitted.
Very hard to have any sort of career playing seniors every six weeks.

But on CCJ, I didn't say drop him, also not sure he'll be playing this week as he didn't train.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh low blow man, Maj should have played a lot more and a lot more often. He was doing well and would be omitted.
Very hard to have any sort of career playing seniors every six weeks.

But on CCJ, I didn't say drop him, also not sure he'll be playing this week as he didn't train.
It still annoys me today that people go on and on about our legends being cut at the end of 2016 - my biggest issue with that year is that Maj was clearly ready to go and able to deliver more for much of the year but didn't get a look in until basically that Adelaide final, and largely because we'd already conceded the loss, then went out and was BOG for us. What a waste and it's not like we were firing in the back half of the year...

Majak was producing a lot of hints in the VFL, AFL preseason games and in his rare senior opportunities to suggest he'd have been better off getting more senior games earlier to consolidate his development.

CCJ's level of talent is lower IMO but get your point re players taking time.

Majak was producing a lot of hints in the VFL, AFL preseason games and in his rare senior opportunities to suggest he'd have been better off getting more senior games earlier to consolidate his development.

CCJ's level of talent is lower IMO but get your point re players taking time.
Of course it's lower

i used to go to games, the the oppo team would kick a high ball into our d50, i'd just say, Maj has got this and there he was almost every time.
was in AA form down back.

Of course it's lower

i used to go to games, the the oppo team would kick a high ball into our d50, i'd just say, Maj has got this and there he was almost every time.
was in AA form down back.
We're all armchair critics on here but I contend Daw should've got some blooding games circa 2011-12 and then been essentially given a run of games 2013-15 to develop into the long term gun I think he could've been.

I know he was more advanced per age because of having an AFL background but Drew is someone who had more than 1 year getting games under his belt until eventually flourishing into a consistent gun.

We'll never know.

We're all armchair critics on here but I contend Daw should've got some blooding games circa 2011-12 and then been essentially given a run of games 2013-15 to develop into the long term gun I think he could've been.

I know he was more advanced per age because of having an AFL background but Drew is someone who had more than 1 year getting games under his belt until eventually flourishing into a consistent gun.

We'll never know.
I reckon Drews first 15-30 game very uninspiring. The just clicked for Him.

I reckon Drews first 15-30 game very uninspiring. The just clicked for Him.
I remember him playing really well early at one stage, he gave Danny Jacobs a bath who was rated back then.
Then I remember he stagnated everyone was frustrated and we ended up moving him in defence where he was solid and then he really lifted into a very good player and moved forward again.

Something like that...

The comparison is a good one because people wrote Gawn off at a similar age. Similar with English.

Will CCJ end up anywhere near Gawn, probably not but writing him off already is just silly.

Don't think anyone has written him off (I agree would be silly), but people have every right to be concerned considering his performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back