Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

It was concerning how much higher Draper was getting in the ruck contests. He didn't stand a chance.

Then his general agility around the ground leaves a lot to be desired.

I think he has been better the last few weeks.
I still think he is a KPF not a ruckman.
He’s really neither that’s the problem

I've been thinking about CCJ and had the thought that Clarkson would turn him into a modern day David Hale.

Think that tall forward/relief ruck type role could be perfect for him.
I certainly hope you're right mate because Hale turned into a pretty damn good player. At the moment, CCJ is offering us well below expectations so something is going to have to shift.

I certainly hope you're right mate because Hale turned into a pretty damn good player. At the moment, CCJ is offering us well below expectations so something is going to have to shift.

An improvement in the team across the board from our team would be helpful. There's a reason the individuals in our forward line have been so inconsistent this year.

I also think CCJ can offer more as a ruck and I'm not willing to write him off there either. I agree he hasn't looked great competing for hit-outs but neither did Tim English, who has improved in this regard quite a bit over the course of this season.

Allowing players to build their confidence by giving them continuity at AFL level is extremely underrated and I think it would/is doing CCJ a world of good.

What were the realistic expectations coming into the season? He is a baby giraffe and realistically still a couple years away from dominating games of footy. We traded for what he will become, not what he is now.

Cue posts on what we paid in 3...2...1...

What were the realistic expectations coming into the season? He is a baby giraffe and realistically still a couple years away from dominating games of footy. We traded for what he will become, not what he is now.

Cue posts on what we paid in 3...2...1...
I get your point, and to be honest I couldn't care less what we paid. It's a sunk cost now and there's now point whining about it.

I agree that it's about what he will become and there were certainly some big wraps on him. I'm just a layman supporter who sits in the outer and sees what he sees, but at the moment I see CCJ struggling to find his rhythm. He does some nice things but for large parts of the game is invisible. I look forward to seeing his trajectory with a couple of pre-seasons and a decent system around him.

I get your point, and to be honest I couldn't care less what we paid. It's a sunk cost now and there's now point whining about it.

I agree that it's about what he will become and there were certainly some big wraps on him. I'm just a layman supporter who sits in the outer and sees what he sees, but at the moment I see CCJ struggling to find his rhythm. He does some nice things but for large parts of the game is invisible. I look forward to seeing his trajectory with a couple of pre-seasons and a decent system around him.
He will be fine MU, wouldn't be the first big man who struggled with the messaging from brain to body. He is an absolute monster of a kid, once he wraps his head around his big frame he will be clunking pack grabs around the ground for fun. Much higher ceiling than X.

I think I’m a lot higher on CCJ than others. It’s not easy playing second ruck to Goldstein and he is playing that part a lot better than Xerri, who was practically invisible in some of those games.

He wins only 33% of his ruck contests, which is a problem, but Tim English at that age was at only 29% so it can definitely turn. You’d be surprised how low some decent rucks are as well. Tom Hickey for example has been at 35% and 36% his last two years.

Tom Hickey loses the ruck on purpose so he can pick it up and get a centre bounce clearance. Freaky how often he did that on the weekend.

Tom Hickey loses the ruck on purpose so he can pick it up and get a centre bounce clearance. Freaky how often he did that on the weekend.

There was one where he got the tap-out and it bounced to the side of Goldy, straight back into Hickey's hands and he booted it downfield where Reid marked and goaled. Make your own luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he will be particularly excellent or exciting, but I do prefer him than Xerri who I honestly don't understand why we kept him as he can't play.

CCJ moves in slow motion at times, but then that is like half our squad so it's not necessarily a criticism.

Untitled.png

Hickey just flat out dominated the ruck contests.

I really dunno what to think on this is chap.

Occasionally looks dangerous with a great Mark or move…

but then other times seems to lumber around slowly.

But I guess that sums up ruckmen generally !?

The really good ones either cover huge kms, are damaging up forward, or monster blokes. He needs to excel in one of these, at least.

He’s not fit enough for a modern around the ground ruck; needs to flog himself in pre-season, and has a good role model in Goldy

Kinda like an all rounder in cricket he’s ok at ruck and forward but not really good at either

This animal moves quicker. So slow it's like the game is in fast forward around him.

xvtV6.gif

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back