Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Does so many things wrong
Also does have some nice moments. I think he and Goldy works far better then Xerri and Goldy.

It shouldn’t really need to be reiterated, but big guys take time and games. He’s played what, less then 20 games? Let’s see what he is when he gets to 50+.

List of players recently who have significantly improved with 50 games under their belt:
  • Taylor
  • Scott
  • Davies-Uniacke
  • Mckay

Also does have some nice moments. I think he and Goldy works far better then Xerri and Goldy.

It shouldn’t really need to be reiterated, but big guys take time and games. He’s played what, less then 20 games? Let’s see what he is when he gets to 50+.

List of players recently who have significantly improved with 50 games under their belt:
  • Taylor
  • Scott
  • Davies-Uniacke
  • Mckay

Not writing him off but jeez some of the things he does on the field make me shake my head.

That free he gave away to walk in the ruck made me spit out my choccy milk. What benefit was there to pulling on Walkers jumper at a boundary throw in?

But I guess we won’t know until he’s got 30% stronger and 40% fitter because his low game time is telling. Hopefully he is capable of doing that over a couple of pre seasons.

Emmy Awards No GIF by Emmys

Not writing him off but jeez some of the things he does on the field make me shake my head.

That free he gave away to walk in the ruck made me spit out my choccy milk. What benefit was there to pulling on Walkers jumper at a boundary throw in?

But I guess we won’t know until he’s got 30% stronger and 40% fitter because his low game time is telling. Hopefully he is capable of doing that over a couple of pre seasons.
not sure about 40%, start with 10% and go from there, but put aside the number, you're spot on in terms of where his improvement will come from

*choggy milk

not sure about 40%, start with 10% and go from there, but put aside the number, you're spot on in terms of where his improvement will come from
His ceiling is Mason Cox level football.

His lack of agility is a massive issue.

My concerns are yes, his lack of agility but primarily the fact he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed in the footbal sense.
If he's not endowed with athleticism then you'd hope he was a quick thinker. Is that something you can develop and improve upon?
I have seen him be part of fast handball chains so here's hoping his footy IQ can be schooled up.

The improvements are incremental but they are there and they are happening each week.

People talk about how slow he is. Well that may technically be the truth but he knows where to move. He is already getting 15 or so possessions a game.

Add to that he is getting shots on goal and marking it. This guy will be a handy-good part of our future success. Patience!

I’d just lump him under second round busts along with mahony and Lazarro, as yet more evidence pops up that the recruiting/list management team we had in place was pure park.

My concerns are yes, his lack of agility but primarily the fact he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed in the footbal sense.
If he's not endowed with athleticism then you'd hope he was a quick thinker. Is that something you can develop and improve upon?
I have seen him be part of fast handball chains so here's hoping his footy IQ can be schooled up.
He's a typical burly ruckman ie. absolutely * all between the ears. Does dumb things every game. I don't know if he's ever gonna get much smarter. Our best hope, which I think he's certainly capable of at this stage, is that he develops a bit of awareness about what's stupid and what isn't. I'd argue that's different from raising your footy IQ, as it involves damage control rather than creating opportunities and capitalising on half chances. I can see him making it as a ruckman but Goldy 2.0 he is not

He's a typical burly ruckman ie. absolutely * all between the ears. Does dumb things every game. I don't know if he's ever gonna get much smarter. Our best hope, which I think he's certainly capable of at this stage, is that he develops a bit of awareness about what's stupid and what isn't. I'd argue that's different from raising your footy IQ, as it involves damage control rather than creating opportunities and capitalising on half chances. I can see him making it as a ruckman but Goldy 2.0 he is not
The main thing that stops Goldy from being as good as Garry Dempsey is the fact he doesn’t clunk marks all over the ground like Dempsey did.
If CCJ can at least do that, I’ll take it.

Feel like he has a better instincts and footy IQ vs Xerri. Just remember Hickey and Witts were complete spud rucks early on and are now going real well in almost there 8th plus seasons. Ruckmen seem to take a really long time to build fitness and body shape.
Feel like he'll be pretty good in time compared with Xerri, but not writing him off either because you just don't know what they'll be in 3 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like he has a better instincts and footy IQ vs Xerri. Just remember Hickey and Witts were complete spud rucks early on and are now going real well in almost there 8th plus seasons. Ruckmen seem to take a really long time to build fitness and body shape.
Feel like he'll be pretty good in time compared with Xerri, but not writing him off either because you just don't know what they'll be in 3 years time.
Witts always had height, CCJ is undersized for a modern ruck, and he doesn't jump high either.
Hickey has been a spud for a long time and has had a few decent games lately, but all in all he has sucked.

Xerri is clueless out there when not rucking.

Neither one of them can be our primary ruck going forward.
Unless Xerri shows vast improvement very quickly or CCJ learns how to jump.

Xerri could be Hickey in three years too. He got huge contested numbers and alot of clearances in the VFL last year iirc.

Witts always had height, CCJ is undersized for a modern ruck, and he doesn't jump high either.
Hickey has been a spud for a long time and has had a few decent games lately, but all in all he has sucked.

Will be interesting to see what clarko makes of them.
Could easily see both being shopped around in the next couple of years.

Yeah I'm not convinced on both of them either but you just never know who will develop into the better player long term.
I mean Edwards could be the better prospect in 3 years time, who knows really. Seems like teams can trade for rucks when you're in contention anyway.

yep. it's ******* hard to be a forward in such a s**t, dysfunctional team. that's why Larkey is honestly so damn good.

you can see the attributes. Like all our young players, he just needs a competent coach, a cohesive gameplan and some guidance
Our forward line was a mess this year. s**t delivery did not help. He needs to play closer to goal and crash packs.
I'm still confident in him. He showed too much in his last year at richmond to be a total dud.
Fingers crossed ofc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back